Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SWUS TO COME EARLY, 125K bonus SWU out

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MP Goddess writes:
kluau is right...they're good for one year. Issued 10/15/14 will actually expire 10/31/05. I've seen them in accounts already and they are the same as any other SWU you get issued at the beginning of the year or when you hit MM.
That's not how it was explained to me. It was very explicitly explained to me that under this new "advance" policy that an Advanced Systemwide that was deposited in October 2004, would be valid until the end of January 2006.

I think the link to rule #12 just takes you to the regular Upgrade Rules web page and rule #12 does not apply to this.

It will apply to the bonus Systemwides that are earned at 150k on up in 2005 however.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great for some of us who are planning international travel during the holidays season, but unfortunately, there will be limited number of seats for upgrades during the peak travel season.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SanDiego1K writes:
I am happy that UA is not taking AA's route re upgrade expirations. AA is crediting our accounts with our vips in the month that we cross the 100K threshold.
This is somewhat related to one of the things I'm not certain of.

The current announcement regarding Advance Systemwides only addresses 2004 activity. For example, I'm not certain that if next year you hit your 100,000 EQMs in say May 2005...if you'd get your 2006 Systemwides advanced at that point, and that they would be good until January 2007.

In other words, I don't see anything in this announcement about it being a continuing program. I only see this announcement stating:

For customers who qualify between October 8, 2004 and December 15, 2004, their four SWUs will be deposited into their account within two weeks of qualifying for 2005 1K status.
But yes...even if this is only a "Fall" thing...it's better than what American Airlines did.

Last edited by PremEx; Oct 7, 2004 at 1:03 pm
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:01 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
I think UA and MP did it right on this one: ^

We got extra SWUs we can use now, we can upgrade any 2005 travel we book now, we have no expiration date penalty for getting those SWUs now (I think - at least based on the info on the 1k site), and we have an incentive to build up EQMs past 100k going forward.

The only thing I wish were different is that the thresholds for extra SWUs were smaller (say 25k instead of 50k). But all-around, nothing to grumble from my end.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I guess it's nice for some, but if they had given me my SWU's in May when I qualified for 2005 1K I would have flown a lot more UA miles this year. And I wouldn't be a full-time Air France flyer. Too late UA.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:34 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by PremEx
While I applaud many of these changes, I've already expressed to United (some of us knew this was coming, but were sworn to secrecy) that I am concerned that the "Fall Forward" Systemwide "advance" aspect of this might take the pressure off some folks to fix some of the other problems associated with the new Reserve system. I was told they understood that and were going to attempt to continue to find solutions to those separate issues.
My concern as well. This seems like a quick band-aid to something they realized was unfair to their most loyal flyers. I'd like to know what they are going to do to address it long term. Awarding SWU's when you hit 100k EQM any time during the year seems like an acceptable alternative, although like PremEx I'd prefer they keep it the way it was before the ridiculous "reserve" policy.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I think it's great. But their elimination of LAX-Mia non stop, where I go monthly, forced me to AA. Still sad over it, don't blame United but as another year would bring me to Million Miler, it's a lot of history left behind, most of it excellent.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by PremEx
In other words, I don't see anything in this announcement about it being a continuing program.
Further, the email specifically says:

As a special, one-time offer, 1Ks who qualify for 2005 1K status by December 8, 2004, will receive four of their six SWUs early.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Holy smoke. MP was extremely helpful. A supervisor told me to fax her the documentation and then call her back. When I call back she goes down to the fax room picks up the fax and instantly credits me the miles so that I am at 100K.

Normally it's like pulling teeth regarding SK, OS and SQ credits. Is this only because it's Air Canada or did I get lucky in reaching good people?
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Normally it's like pulling teeth regarding SK, OS and SQ credits. Is this only because it's Air Canada or did I get lucky in reaching good people?
I think you got good people that knew and appreciated the importance of the upcoming first sweep deadline to you.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by transpac
All six of these Systemwide Upgrades will be valid from the day they are deposited into the account through January 2006. Please note that while the E-UpgradeSM summary will show the correct SWU balance, the expiration date for the four SWUs received early will not appear until the expiration date is 13 months away.

There is obviously a limitation in the system that will show an incorrect expiration date until January, so MP Goddess was probably correct in what she saw, it's just that the system isn't displaying correctly.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HeadInTheClouds notes:
Further, the email specifically says:

Quote:
As a special, one-time offer, 1Ks who qualify for 2005 1K status by December 8, 2004, will receive four of their six SWUs early.
Yep. And if I had gotten that email yet, I would have pointed that out too.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_71
A bit off-topic, but thought I'd throw this out here.
Do you think there will be any bonuses for those
who reach certain thresholds, like 100K BIS miles?
Last year, there were 2 extra SWU for those with 100K BIS in 2003.
Also, those with more than 125K (I think) EQM could roll-over
25,000 towards status in 2004. Any chance of repeat this year?
This what I was planning for - I am already over the 1K EQMs but had planned to take enough swing my last itns over to UA to get above the 1K BIS expecting an 2 extra SWU for those with 100K BIS as in 2003.
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I, for one, wouldn't expect the bonus SWU's this year. I think they may view the extra SWU's for hitting 125/150 as their bonus SWU program for the year. But who knows, anything is possible...
Old Oct 7, 2004, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I, for one, wouldn't expect the bonus SWU's this year. I think they may view the extra SWU's for hitting 125/150 as their bonus SWU program for the year. But who knows, anything is possible...
I think some are confusing 2 separate deals. Those 2 deals were not related. Even though they were announced at the same time.

The 2 extra Systemwides for hitting 100k or 100 segments BIS last year were not tied into the extras for 125k or 150k.

The 2 extra Systemwides for hitting 100k or 100 segments BIS last year were "True Flyer" gifts meant to mainly appease the True Flyers because of the Bonus Double EQM offer of last year that many flyers achieved 1K Lite under. And to also get a few others to push to 100k BIS to get the gift.

If there is no similar major Bonus EQM offer announced soon this year, I think the extra Systemwides for 100k BIS would not be offered again.

But if they do end up offering some major Bonus EQM deal before the end of the year, I think they would consider offering a True Flyer gift of some sort once again to appease those that got their status the hard and original way. Of course, whatever True Flyer gift they offer this year (if they have to and if they do) could be something completely different than 2 additional Systemwides.

IMHO.

Last edited by PremEx; Oct 7, 2004 at 4:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.