Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Alcatraz A320: CSR Imprisons PAX on Broken Airplane, UA 589 PHL-ORD (1/31)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alcatraz A320: CSR Imprisons PAX on Broken Airplane, UA 589 PHL-ORD (1/31)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
I'd definitely have asked the FAs to alert the captain to end that situation by ordering everyone off. What ridiculous behavior.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I am not a big one to write and complain but this would have got them a letter from me. Not acceptable.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:16 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wow what an awful story, good job by the OP for walking off. I think I know the GA in PHL the OP is talking about, I remember asking her about a VDB once and she said "I needed you earlier I don't need you anymore" as she'd denied boarding to two people, rebooked them on US with no compensation and told them to leave her alone
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I seldom have had issues at PHL, but the staff always has been friendly and helpful. Maybe I have been lucky to miss her.

When there is a MX, once permission is given by the FA to use cell phones, I speed dial the 1K line and, when the door is open, I run to the UC.
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Wow, that is horrible! I would absolutely write an email/letter to UA and let them know. Cancellations are something that PHL...err...all airports should have a reasonable contingency plan for.

Having said that, I didn't get much better treatment a couple weeks ago in ORD. My flight to Europe returned to the gate for MX. During the delay the agent only allowed Africa-bound pax without valid EU visas to de-board since they would not be eligible to stay in Europe when they misconnected. All other passengers would be handled by CSRs upon arrival; no getting off.

During the first two hours of the delay, the pilot gave ZERO updates. With my sensors up, I called and rebooked on the last flight of the night to LHR which was leaving in 30 minutes. I just walked off and told the CSR to offload me. She snarled and condescendingly asked if other were going to follow me. Not sure if anyone did, but since that flight ultimately cancelled I was glad for my decision!
Old Feb 1, 2012, 6:51 pm

This is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous stories I've read on the forums. Sit on the plane for hours?!? That's funny stuff right there
Old Feb 1, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wcalvert
This is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous stories I've read on the forums. Sit on the plane for hours?!? That's funny stuff right there
???

I too have a good idea which agent this was. The PHL staff is small...
Old Feb 1, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Write the DOT a note with the timeline. UA may face fines of up to $27,500 per passenger if anyone was forced to stay on the plane for more than 3 hours. Even if they're not fined having that conversation with the DOT may prompt UA to work on their staff selection, improving service in the future.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CMK10
Wow what an awful story, good job by the OP for walking off. I think I know the GA in PHL the OP is talking about, I remember asking her about a VDB once and she said "I needed you earlier I don't need you anymore" as she'd denied boarding to two people, rebooked them on US with no compensation and told them to leave her alone
I wonder if it's the agent I'm thinking of! I don't remember if I posted this elsewhere, but I was going PHL-SFO-PDX and overheard at checkin that there was a plane swap from an A320-->A319. After a little prying I finally got more vocal agent to admit that the flight was way over. This agent asked someone checking in on the 1P side if he would be willing take an earlier US flight. He accepted and was told to walk to the US Airways ticket counter quickly. I enquired about a VDB and the agent said as a 1K she didn't want to take me off of UA metal but after a little persistence she said she would do it. I asked what compensation would be involved, she thought about it and responded "I'll give you $400, but do not tell the other man I gave you anything!" I was a little stunned that she said something like that but I had to take the money (Type B) and run since the flight was leaving soon.

What she did with the first man didn't seem legal, but I guess the offer an agent makes to a customer is case by case. On a side note, the entire checkin staff was pretty apathetic to the paid F pax that had been downgraded.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Gold, National Exective, United Premier Silver
Not wanting to be a pain the the @$$, this would be UA 549.

For the benefit if the O/P, should they write a letter.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by N1120A
I'd definitely have asked the FAs to alert the captain to end that situation by ordering everyone off. What ridiculous behavior.
The FA's and captain were certainly aware of what was going on. After cancelling, the captain announced, and made apparent his frustration, that there was only one CSR. The FA at the door was taking heat from a F passenger about the situation when I self-disembarked.

The way the situation was ultimately resolved, as I interpret what the Captain later told me in the pizza line, is that he decided to ignore the CSR and asked the passengers to disembark himself, over her objections.

I'll send Jeff a letter. I kind of suspect I'll get a robo-response, but I suppose there's a chance for some Change I'll Like.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:45 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by flying for gold elite
I wonder if it's the agent I'm thinking of! I don't remember if I posted this elsewhere, but I was going PHL-SFO-PDX and overheard at checkin that there was a plane swap from an A320-->A319. After a little prying I finally got more vocal agent to admit that the flight was way over. This agent asked someone checking in on the 1P side if he would be willing take an earlier US flight. He accepted and was told to walk to the US Airways ticket counter quickly. I enquired about a VDB and the agent said as a 1K she didn't want to take me off of UA metal but after a little persistence she said she would do it. I asked what compensation would be involved, she thought about it and responded "I'll give you $400, but do not tell the other man I gave you anything!" I was a little stunned that she said something like that but I had to take the money (Type B) and run since the flight was leaving soon.

What she did with the first man didn't seem legal, but I guess the offer an agent makes to a customer is case by case. On a side note, the entire checkin staff was pretty apathetic to the paid F pax that had been downgraded.
I don't think there is anything illegal about no compensation as long as it's voluntary. The pax might have thought that an early flight was enough for him to forgo monetary compensation (however, he likely didn't realize he had leverage to ask for more than just an earlier flight!). In VDB, as long as both parties agree to the terms, it's legal.

LAX
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Corrected flight number.

Sorry folks, I used the wrong flight number. It was UA 549, not UA 589.

(589 is the flight I rebooked onto. 549 is the one that cancelled. I got them mixed up my head. I've updated the post, maybe a MOD can fix the thread title. Sorry for the confusion.)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: UA1K
by the new FAA guidelines of keeping pax on planes, isn't what the CSR was doing illegal?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
Originally Posted by perezoso
The FA's and captain were certainly aware of what was going on. After cancelling, the captain announced, and made apparent his frustration, that there was only one CSR. The FA at the door was taking heat from a F passenger about the situation when I self-disembarked.
Don't the FA's only get paid when the door is closed? I'd imagine they're not that happy about being on a canceled flgiht that hasn't let the folks off...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.