Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Glitch in mileage posting on paid flight with an e-certificate

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry

Wanted to share a glitch report....

Recently i flew on a paid transcon plain vanilla IAD-SFO flight booked on United.com with an ecert (ecert used normally via the web, nothing fancy). It was a paid S class ticket. I even got a UDU upgrade to F.

a week later, the flight mileage hasnt posted. i went online to do a credit request and website said this:

"Our records indicate that this flight was on a free award ticket, which is not eligible for Mileage Plus credit."

--> this was really weird!! it was clearly a paid flight, eligible fare class, and heck i got an upgrade (which is not possible on award unless GS, which im not).

Hence i had to call Mileage Plus phone agent - who had to post it manually. agent was also really baffled why it didnt post and why the website said that. the ecert TOS also said MP accrual was permitted.

Just wanted to share this bug report. Welcome others' experiences recently earning mileage on an ecert applied ticket.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Was this a $-off e-certificate (which do earn miles), or a free ticket e-cert (aka DBFREE, which do NOT earn miles)?

I'm presuming it was the former given that you did eventually get credit, but just want to make sure.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Maybe the person at the offshore processing center was trigger happy and denying all requests?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
This is a known glitch. I first encountered this last April when a friend and I flew to MCO. She wasn't a MP member, but signed up after I encouraged her on the trip. Came back, set it up, and got the same error message. Called up MP support (ended up getting routed to Manila) and they said their records showed it was a free ticket, despite them being able to see that I did pay out of pocket for the low base fare plus applicable taxes and fees.

They ended up having to manually credit it, but I've never had an issue with miles posting to my account when flying on an itinerary that was purchased with an e-certificate.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

it was a $125 off ecert, definitely not a DCFREE (i've been around United and FT long enough to not confused those).

the oneway ticket was really cheap, only $145 total with tax. hence after the 125 off ecert, i only paid $20.

That said, I've used plenty of ecerts before and never had problems getting mileage credit. I'm trying to find a pattern. two ideas:

1) perhaps the residual payment was 'too low'? my past ecerts always left at least 40 or 50 left to pay out of pocket.

2) maybe its using the ecert also a one-way?

in any case, everyone always be vigilant about your miles posting on any ecert-applied ticket!!
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

So, I have 1 more ecert left unused from this batch. Maybe it was this particular batch of 'defective' ecerts from an irrop. if the sister ecert to this ecert also causes problems, i'm gonna think its just a bad batch of corrupt ecerts that somehow register the booked flight as an 'award'.

ill report back after i used the sister ecert. cuz i refuse to think a random lightning strikes twice like this. too weird.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA
Mrs Duck had the same problem with a paid TATL C ticket. Called MP and it was credited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.