Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Think twice about using United miles to Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Think twice about using United miles to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Tiki
Saver award space in NZ J class AKL to LAX/SFO is scarcer than hen's teeth. You may get lucky if you wait until a couple months before travel but NZ won't release seats on this route at the usual 330 booking window.

Its scarce, but not impossible, over the last year I got YVR/LAX/SFO-AKL and return J seats without any issues at 10 months, 6 months, 3 months out.

The 330 day booking window is a myth.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Exactly. Never use miles for a coach award outside NAmerica, always spend the 20% more for C/J. Business makes it much more bearable and if transPac is not available direct, one can always transit via Asia, or even do it over the Atlantic via Europe and Asia.
While I generally agree with this advice and it makes sense for those of us who earn miles faster than we would be able to burn them making only Y redemptions, I think it is a harder sell for those who fly only a couple times a year since C/F is roughly 2x as many miles as Y. I'd love to learn how you're able to do C for 20% more...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Exactly. Never use miles for a coach award outside NAmerica, always spend the 20% more for C/J. Business makes it much more bearable and if transPac is not available direct, one can always transit via Asia, or even do it over the Atlantic via Europe and Asia.
"You can always" is a bit of an exaggeration. At least in my searches on co.com (is there an alternative way to search with more availability) J-class itineraries via Asia are almost as hard to find as direct J-class flights.

The trick to flying business class to Sydney on miles is to book a couple of days in advance (and have enough flexibility if the precise day you want isn't available). There's usually some biz or first availability on SFO-SYD or LAX-SYD one or two days in advance... though almost never any for the NZ routing.

Personally I'm curious as to whether (say) SFO-ICN-SYD in business (UA+OZ) is actually less painful than a direct SFO-SYD in Economy.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to FT, OP!

If you stick around, someday you'll look back and say 'flying a crappy UA 747 in coach is the greatest thing that ever happened to me..... cause now I know how to redeem for better carriers, routings, or cabins'. Trust me, we all had to learn somehow.

If it's any consolation, I once did a MR that was SFO-HNL-LAX-SYD-SFO-HNL-DEN. While we managed to UG LAX-SYD, by the time I got home, my rear-end was pretty sore.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:17 am

Business seat to NYC-SYD

I want to fly NYC-SYD and unable to find saver plus business seats for any dates 330 days out other than OZ via Korea. Sorry I don't know all the abbreviations for business etc. Is it just because it is Australia? And is there anyway to book a business seat to SYD?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: VAG
Yep, a definite paucity of seats. You might have better luck closer to the date.

If I were you I'd take the OZ, though. It's only an extra four or five hours.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Having flown UA 747 Y, the only way to really handle it is to get an exit row. Even that kind of sucks, as US carriers have horrid Y seats. Of course, be happy you didn't have the "pleasure" of sitting in one of CO's park benches for the whole flight. The only way I would do a TPAC without a confirmed upgrade/purchased C or better seat across the Pacific is on AC and MAYBE NZ if not on the 773ER. AC has probably the most comfortable Y seat around and also an extensive AVOD throughout the Y cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.