Wiki Posts
Search

UDU & Standby Priority

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:15 pm
smn
Original Poster

UDU & Standby Priority

(Apologies if this is in another thread. I searched, but couldn't find anything on this scenario).

I'm on the standby list for an earlier flight tomorrow. The UDU processed and I am in NF for my scheduled flight. On the earlier flight, right now Y is zeroed out and 1 F seat remaining, with only 1 person on the upgrade list.

I realize this will probably change, but assuming this remained true until boarding, what would the priority be? Would the upgrade the other person and give me the Y seat, or would they just give me the F seat?

Or, does it depend on status/fare (i.e. I get F if higher status, but other person gets it if he has higher).

or do they need a Y seat to load me in the first place?

What is the "Correct" procedure here (and what happens most of the time?)?

Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by smn
assuming this remained true until boarding, what would the priority be? Would the upgrade the other person and give me the Y seat, or would they just give me the F seat?
You must clear the standby before you can be added to the upgrade list. They should clear upgrades, then standbys. If there are any F seats available after you clear, you may get the upgrade.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If you want the best chance of UDU, you should try and do a same day confirmed change at -3 hours before the departure of the flight you want to take; if you are able to get a confirmed seat on the flight, you will be added to the upgrade list and clear based on your status.

I did this last weekend on a flight that had been showing F0 Y0 online for a few days prior. Luckily, there were open seats in Y at the airport and I ended up #1 on the upgrade list, which I cleared when someone no-showed.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
If you want the best chance of UDU, you should try and do a same day confirmed change at -3 hours before the departure of the flight you want to take; if you are able to get a confirmed seat on the flight, you will be added to the upgrade list and clear based on your status.

I did this last weekend on a flight that had been showing F0 Y0 online for a few days prior. Luckily, there were open seats in Y at the airport and I ended up #1 on the upgrade list, which I cleared when someone no-showed.
I did this exact same thing on OGG-LAX last week.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: I travel for fun these days.
This explains a situation I saw on a domestic flight a couple months back....

I received the UDU and boarded. Prior to take off there was a distraught gentlemen quite upset about an open seat in F when he figured his "elite" status should have given him the empty seat beside me... Door was already closed.

The FA, in a very polite and professional manner, asked him to take his assigned seat stating that the UDU cannot be applied to someone flying on standby. The issue should have been resolved prior to boarding with the GA.

Wonderful advice FlyinHawaiinfor how to get off the standby list to ensure access to the UDU list. Thank you.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:26 am
smn
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Did try confirmed standby, but flight zeroed out this morning Figured I'd try my luck with standby (since DM card said I was waitlisted for F) but got here to find that an even earlier flight just returned to the airport, so there are now 200 people trying to get on the next few flights

Thanks again. Good knowledge for the future
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by smn
Thanks for the advice. Did try confirmed standby, but flight zeroed out this morning Figured I'd try my luck with standby (since DM card said I was waitlisted for F) but got here to find that an even earlier flight just returned to the airport, so there are now 200 people trying to get on the next few flights

Thanks again. Good knowledge for the future
Maybe you can now try to VDB instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.