Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA 958 SEA-ORD diverted back to Seattle 12/22

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2011, 11:37 am
smn
Original Poster

UA958 Returned to Seattle

At SEA now and the 8 am to ORD (UA958) apparently had to return to the airport. after taking off. Anyone have any info on this? Appears the plane is no longer here.... but there are 200 people looking for seats on flights that are oversold the rest of the day!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/U...601Z/KSEA/KORD

Sounds like they had an engine stall and had to divert back to Seattle.

Image, quote courtesy of Pat+
UA 958 right engine compressor stall, returned to Seattle, and safe emergency landing!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks to bmvaughn for posting my pic while I was on my way back home

As with most incidents that end up with a safe landing, there isn't a ton to report.

The flight was UA 958, SEA/ORD, operated on a B757. I was seated in 3E.

We left at approximately 8:45 (delayed from 8:01am.) Seconds before taking off we heard a loud bang, and I immediately thought a tire had blown up. 30 seconds later, I heard the captain on channel 9 requesting an inspection of the runway for the next aircraft, in case we had indeed blown up a tire. The tower replied back and asked the captain to let them know of any damage they would discover upon arrival in Chicago.

Minutes later as we were approaching 10,000 feet and FAs were taking meal orders, we heard a succession of loud bangs. Those were scarier and more difficult for me to understand. Moments later the captain requested clearance to return to SEA as it was confirmed the right engine compressor had just stalled multiple times. Unfortunately he turned channel 9 off at this point, but we basically followed the standard procedure--turned around, used a pretty direct path back to the airport, and landed as emergency vehicles were waiting. The compressor stalled again several times as we landed, although technically the engine was still running so it was a "regular" landing using both engines.

Folks were calm all along, with a number of glares and scared looks. The captain came on the PA only after landing and explained what had happened. I thanked him for landing us safely.

Maintenance staff approached the aircraft and started inspecting the engine (c.f photo above) but we were eventually asked to deplane, and the flight was subsequently cancelled (not much in terms of replacement aircraft in SEA!)

Fortunately I called the 1K desk as soon as we landed and got rebooked to Paris tomorrow, confirmed in NC/NF, so I have zero complaints. Compensation was 10,000 miles or $250 in travel credits (received automatically in an email.)

For folks who have neither status or lounge access, it promises to be a long day. There was a crazy line at the service desk, and all flights to ORD are booked solid today...

I lost a vacation day, but we're safe and sound, so, thanks United!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Impressed that you actually had Ch9 on a 757 before the IFE started. Crews tend to not switch off the safety video lately IME.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Impressed that you actually had Ch9 on a 757 before the IFE started. Crews tend to not switch off the safety video lately IME.
Very true!! I almost did not grab my headset early on because of this... I'm certainly glad i did. I thanked the pilot for keeping channel 9 on for most of the action... I guess he turned it off before negociating the details of the landing--I suppose that the prospect of fire trucks can be scary to some. It was great to hear the details on the stall a good 10 minutes before they were finally disclosed to all pax.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: UAL MM, BA G
Very happy the landing went well. For the pax, it is the lesser possible inconvenience...
Old Dec 22, 2011, 3:54 pm

Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Thanks, Pat+, for the report.

My parents were on board (also in F) and I haven't yet received all the details from them.

ATC recordings here:
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ks...2011-1630Z.mp3
  • 21:39 - first reference to UA 958
  • 27:40 - "line up and wait"
  • 28:40 - clear for take off
  • 29:43 - "think we might have blown a tire just before rotation"
  • tower checks with other planes to see
At that point, UA 958 changed over to departure and I've been unable to find that frequency's archives, and I've been unable to find the Tower frequency on the returned approach.

My parents were in NF and my mom (no status) got *very* lucky with the Reservations phone agent (she called from her cell while my dad waited in that long line). They've been rebooked in F tomorrow with hotel voucher provided. They said there were many, many unhappy folks.

Safety first and sounds as if the crews were extremely professional. Kudos to UA for handling it well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.