Wiki Posts
Search

Regional upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; HHonors gold
Regional upgrades

I have never used these other than on SFO to New York. Can someone explain their purpose to me, please. Am I more likely to be upgraded if I apply a regional upgrade than if I rely solely on an UDU with 1K status? I've asked a couple of United agents this question and they seem to think not. If I'm not, then I don't see their use apart from as gifts. How do you all use them.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
The main advantage of a CR-1 is that you can be upgraded outside of the UDU window if there is upgrade inventory available.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 2:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
SFO-JFK (PS service) is not eligible for UDU -- so if you wish to upgrade you will need $$$/miles/regional or SWUs. No complimentary upgrades on those flights.

SFO-EWR is mostly CO and is eligible for EUA. There is one UA which has UDU. Regionals will allow earlier confirmation -- such as at booking.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 3:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I use them on any flight where I care about the upgrade. For me, that's anything to ORD or further.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:17 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Originally Posted by UAatSFO
I have never used these other than on SFO to New York. Can someone explain their purpose to me, please. Am I more likely to be upgraded if I apply a regional upgrade than if I rely solely on an UDU with 1K status? I've asked a couple of United agents this question and they seem to think not. If I'm not, then I don't see their use apart from as gifts. How do you all use them.
Welcome to FT!

The general consensus here at FT is that using your CR1s on PS flights is the best use of them, since PS is not eligible for UDU.

If you apply a CR1 to another UDU eligible flight, there is a chance you will get upgraded before the UDU window opens up, and therefore a chance you will get an upgrade that under UDU would go to someone else. How likely? I can't say. There have been reports in other threads of flights out of SFO that had a lot of 1Ks who did not get UDU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.