Wiki Posts
Search

Best chance of upgrading HKG or PVG?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 7:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Sugilite
I fly from SEA to PVG about 3 times per year and just got back a couple of days ago. First of all there is not flt from SEA-PVG flt only a SEA-NRT. I usually only fly B fares so I can get the 1.5 bonus EQM's and the cost of a ticket between SEA-SFO-PVG vs SEA-NRT-PVG is about $800 more. But you can usually get an upgrade on the SEA-NRT much easier than either a LAX-PVG or a SFO-PVG. Coming back from NRT on Wednesday, business was only 2/3 full. FWIW, the SFO-PEK or LAX-PEK is also very upgrade unfriendly. One thing you might consider is that Continental has a promotion going on of DEQM's for SFO-NRT that you may want to consider.
Your's is precisely the way to have good shot at upgrade. High fare class and mid-week.

W or V fare other than Tue-Wed-Thu and odds are loooooow. I've had M fare not clear on ORD-PVG FWIW.....
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:09 am

I fly from SEA to PVG about 3 times per year and just got back a couple of days ago. First of all there is not flt from SEA-PVG flt only a SEA-NRT. I usually only fly B fares so I can get the 1.5 bonus EQM's and the cost of a ticket between SEA-SFO-PVG vs SEA-NRT-PVG is about $800 more. But you can usually get an upgrade on the SEA-NRT much easier than either a LAX-PVG or a SFO-PVG. Coming back from NRT on Wednesday, business was only 2/3 full. FWIW, the SFO-PEK or LAX-PEK is also very upgrade unfriendly. One thing you might consider is that Continental has a promotion going on of DEQM's for SFO-NRT that you may want to consider.
LAX-PEK is a direct service that has a stop in SFO.

Currently, the double miles promo from NRT to select US cities are for RDM only, and it requires M and above fare basis, and it is available on both United and Continental. Is this DEQM for SFO-NRT a targeted offer?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
HKG has always been very difficult to upgrade.
PVG has also gotten to become difficult.
LAX-PVG is easier than SFO-PVG but I was watching it once recently for a few days and saw it is not an easy upgrade either.

I HIGHLY recommend you book a flight you can find with CONFIRMABLE upgrade space when you book it, rather than take your chance on the waitlist.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by FromPVG
LAX-PEK is a direct service that has a stop in SFO.

Currently, the double miles promo from NRT to select US cities are for RDM only, and it requires M and above fare basis, and it is available on both United and Continental. Is this DEQM for SFO-NRT a targeted offer?
Here is the link:

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,53881,00.html
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:38 pm

I believe this double mile promotion is only for RDM, not for EQM. The T&C on Continental's promotion page clearly states that.

Terms and conditions
Registration is required. Offer valid for qualifying Continental and United roundtrip, non-stop flights between Narita, Japan (NRT) and Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO), Chicago (ORD), New York (EWR) or Seattle (SEA) booked and flown before Jan. 31, 2012. To qualify, tickets must be booked in F,A,J,C,D,Z,Y,B or M class of service. This offer is valid for OnePass members that reside in Japan and the US only. Residency is based on the address listed on your OnePass account. Mileage earned through promotional offers does not qualify towards Elite qualification. All terms and conditions of OnePass apply.

Earn double miles on flights from Narita to select US destinations
Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:41 am

Stand correct

[QUOTE=FromPVG;17599652]I believe this double mile promotion is only for RDM, not for EQM. The T&C on Continental's promotion page clearly states that.

I think you be right -- Sorry for the misinformation.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.