Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Finally - An Op Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by smashr
What's your source for this?
Referenced in another thread, processing opt-ups by fare code first. Probably not 100% confirmed yet, but won't be surprised if it's the new policy.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 7:22 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
I have been more lucky, obviously. So far, flying UA only since 2007 (1k since 2008), I scored:

LHR -> ORD (Op-Up)
ORD -> LHR or MUC (can't remember clearly) Op-Up at seat
LHR -> SFO (Op-Up)
LAX -> MEL (Courtesy upgrade)
MEL -> SYD (Courtesy upgrade)

All the above were Y -> C

The upgrade from ORD was interesting, with the gate agent actually coming to my seat shortly before departure and handing me my new C boarding pass. The venomous look by my seat neighbors were quite interesting as well.

On the other hand: flying AA for 16 years (about 1 MM but in seat) the only OP-UP was a C -> F when they still had the woolly mammoth seats in F.

But I seem to be lucky on UA anyway. UDU for me is 95% and SWU success over the last years is about 90%. Just cleared LHR to SYD and back all the way.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Four years ago, I was op-uped on UA from SYD to LAX, from C to F. The infamous Dragon Lady was processing op-ups like mad, moving higher-tier elites in C to F, and moving presumably higher-tier elites from Y to C. It was quite interesting to see she was calling the shots. It was one of my most enjoyable flights ever.

As 5khours points out, op-ups aren't that uncommon on Delta. They making upgrading difficult and expensive (unless you buy last minute and have to buy M+ fares anyway); upgradeable Y fares are usually 2-3X that of the lowest Y fare. This year, I received 3 int'l op-ups on Delta, one from HND-DTW on their great 777, another one from AMS to DTW on their A330, and another one from NRT-HNL on their crusty 763. It's a nice consolation for Delta's relatively stingy int'l upgrade policy. At the end of the day though, I prefer UA's SWU strategy.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Last year got one just before Xmas IAD-MUC as a lowly 1P on a K fare.

They upgraded almost 20 people into C on that flight.

I let my dad have the upgrade, who only flew AC, LH and LO C prior, and at the end of the flight he was distrubed how bad UA business was, and couldnt comprehend how people pay money for crappy lounger seats and UA service.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I have been op-uped eight times in my flying career...twice on Cathy Pacific (with Mrs. 1KPath) LAX-HKG and HKG-LAX...and six times on UA, once IAD-LHR and five times BRU-IAD! I have been flying this route so long that I have gotten to know the UA staff at BRU quite well...so when I am not booked in C (fortunately not very often), I am usually given an exit row with an empty seat next to me or if it is available (rarely) a precious seat in C!!

I am afraid that this little (big!) benefit will be a casualty of the "new" UA...SIGH!
Old Dec 4, 2011, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I was the fortunate recipient if an ip up last Jan on route from SFO-ICN as a lowly premier. What shocked me even more was that the op up occurred prior to me checking in online 24 hours in advanced. Then when I got to the airport, they swapped the 747 for an old configured plane and gave me an ecert to boot. Couldn't believe my luck that day. Felt very fortunate.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 5:59 pm

Programs: EK Gold, UA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
I used to fly back and forth from the Middle East and Asia and would get the occasional op-up. During the last 10 years, nothing, until a LH DEL-FRA flight last year. They tried to get me to accept a 600 euro payment to fly the next day but as I had a upgrade FRA-ORD already confirmed I passed.

At the gate they had quite a few Y-C upgrades waiting for the *G flyers including me
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hhonors Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Chandler69
I was the fortunate recipient if an ip up last Jan on route from SFO-ICN as a lowly premier. What shocked me even more was that the op up occurred prior to me checking in online 24 hours in advanced. Then when I got to the airport, they swapped the 747 for an old configured plane and gave me an ecert to boot. Couldn't believe my luck that day. Felt very fortunate.
I got one from KIX-SFO a week after the Earthquake at OLCI too. As one can imagine, I was beyond shocked to see the message "already upgraded flight" on my iPhone. The computer gave me 9A which is one of the few good seats on the new 777 IMHO. The only other op-up I have ever received was EWR-ATH on CO when I got moved to the only seat left in J.

I tried on a TG LAX-BKK flight last year when they were overbook by at least 10, but they weren't thrilled about moving anyone up who wasn't their own ROP Gold level.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
So far

Clock starts ticking in 2002. Prior to, as a kid, I was the recipient of a handful of courtesy upgrades.

ROC-ORD - 1K (XY->F)
LHR-ORD - 1P+GM (Y->C)

JFK-SFO - 1k (NC->F)

JFK-SFO - 1k+GM (NC->F)
LAX-IAD - 1K+GM (or 2p) (Y->F)

Last edited by anc-ord772; Dec 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
I've only gotten opped up once, but wow did I get lucky I had a Y seat which I had upgraded with a friend's SWU to C for ORD-AMS. The plane went mechanical and was delayed a day. There was some rebooking confusion, and I got rebooked into full C which then turned into F immediately prior to boarding. I said "Are you sure?" to the gate agent, and then realized I should shut my mouth immediately.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
On the night before Thanksgiving I was flying from IAD to LHR in Y. When I got to the gate they called my name and gave me a C Boarding Pass. This is my first free Op Up in many years of flying UA. For those who ask what are my chances of being upgraded it took me the following relation with UA to get my first ever OpUp: I have flown 1.3 Million Miles on UA in the past 19 years, have been 1 K for 15-16 years straight. That is what it took for me to get the OpUp. BTW, on the way home I was not upgraded
I've only ever received one operational upgrade as well (all the way back in 1997, when I was a Premier Exec), but I don't feel that op ups are some sort of entitlement. They tend to happen most often (as others have suggested) when the flight is overbooked and some economy passengers are moved up gratis in order to free up economy seats.

If you're frequently upgraded as a 1K anyway (either with UDU, CR1, SWU, or miles), how many opportunities for op ups do you really get? In my case, anyway, the answer is very few. In fact, the prevalence of all these other kinds of upgrades really reduces the probability of having to do operational upgrades. @:-)
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
As 5khours points out, op-ups aren't that uncommon on Delta.
Didn't pre-merger Northwest have some really fascinating elite-friendly op-up policy? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...al-travel.html
Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Yesterday, 2P colleague flying PDX-SFO-JFK. UDU cleared PDX-SFO and upon arrival at the gate in SFO he received a BP to C on P.S. due to an overbooked Y cabin. That makes his 3rd flight in a premium cabin ever (DEN-SFO, PDX-SFO, SFO-JFK - all three this year). After joining our department, he made elite for the first time this year as well. He is a blossoming aviation enthusiast and he was stoked.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:04 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Yesterday, 2P colleague flying PDX-SFO-JFK. UDU cleared PDX-SFO and upon arrival at the gate in SFO he received a BP to C on P.S. due to an overbooked Y cabin. That makes his 3rd flight in a premium cabin ever (DEN-SFO, PDX-SFO, SFO-JFK - all three this year). After joining our department, he made elite for the first time this year as well. He is a blossoming aviation enthusiast and he was stoked.
Nice one! ^
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I have had five op-ups in my flying life and one op-down

LHR-CAI op-down on BA and compensation went to my company, not me
FRA-SFO op-up on UA
LHR-SFO op-up on UA, once with my GM companion, once by myself
IAD-LHR op-up on UA day flight
LHR-YYC op-up on AC.

All my op-ups have been in July or August when Y cabins are often full but there's much less business travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.