Wiki Posts
Search

Finally - An Op Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Finally - An Op Upgrade!

On the night before Thanksgiving I was flying from IAD to LHR in Y. When I got to the gate they called my name and gave me a C Boarding Pass. This is my first free Op Up in many years of flying UA. For those who ask what are my chances of being upgraded it took me the following relation with UA to get my first ever OpUp: I have flown 1.3 Million Miles on UA in the past 19 years, have been 1 K for 15-16 years straight. That is what it took for me to get the OpUp. BTW, on the way home I was not upgraded
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
On the night before Thanksgiving I was flying from IAD to LHR in Y. When I got to the gate they called my name and gave me a C Boarding Pass. This is my first free Op Up in many years of flying UA. For those who ask what are my chances of being upgraded it took me the following relation with UA to get my first ever OpUp: I have flown 1.3 Million Miles on UA in the past 19 years, have been 1 K for 15-16 years straight. That is what it took for me to get the OpUp. BTW, on the way home I was not upgraded
But OpUps have all to do with overbooking. I've never had one, and nor do I ever expect one. If flights are that overbooked, I take VDB upfront.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
What fare class were you in? Apparently going forward, if it's you on a (hypothetical) W class vs. a GM on a V fare, they'll select the GM for the opt-up. We know who/what to thank for that...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by aacharya
If flights are that overbooked, I take VDB upfront.
VDB is not always an option if they can accomodate all passengers by upgrading a few.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
What fare class were you in? Apparently going forward, if it's you on a (hypothetical) W class vs. a GM on a V fare, they'll select the GM for the opt-up. We know who/what to thank for that...
What's your source for this?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:21 pm

Still waiting on mine from UA (scored an op-up on NH going from HND-LAX, was upgraded before OLCI opened up, damn near fell out of the chair in my hotel room) and with your stats looks like I may be waiting a while. But to the OP, congrats on your good fortune.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by smashr
What's your source for this?
He/She is basing it off of the new (yet to be fully implemented) upgrade policy which favors fare before status. However, I don't know that it will translate to OpUps in which case the GA's are still very likely to grab the highest elite fliers first. Just my hunch.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
...if you're basing your travel patterns (or worse, which fare bucket you book) according to what airline might give you an op-up, you're probably overlooking more critical factors. Op-ups are fairly infrequent (admittedly, I had one on p.s. Y->C earlier this year) and there's been nothing said about what changes have come to the op-up policy.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
If you're interested in on-ups, fly an airline with a stingy FF program that has limited SWUs and upgrades with miles. That way the C cabin will be half empty most of the time, and you will have a lot better chance of getting an operational upgrade.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
If you're interested in on-ups, fly an airline with a stingy FF program that has limited SWUs and upgrades with miles. That way the C cabin will be half empty most of the time, and you will have a lot better chance of getting an operational upgrade.
There's definite truth in this. I've been op-up'd on AC/QF/BA around 10-15 times across all three, and I'm not even top tier like the OP. Most recent was CW-->F SIN-SYD which was excellent! ^ What's with this "once in 15 years" stuff?!?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
But OpUps have all to do with overbooking. I've never had one, and nor do I ever expect one. If flights are that overbooked, I take VDB upfront.
Op-ups occur when one class is oversold, not when the entire plane is oversold. They are never going to offer VDB's when they can free up a seat by simply moving someone nearer to the front of the aircraft!

(Of course if a plane is oversold _and_ a class is oversold then you could see both Op-ops and VDB, but they certainly don't both go together)
Old Dec 3, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by docbert
Op-ups occur when one class is oversold, not when the entire plane is oversold. They are never going to offer VDB's when they can free up a seat by simply moving someone nearer to the front of the aircraft!

(Of course if a plane is oversold _and_ a class is oversold then you could see both Op-ops and VDB, but they certainly don't both go together)
Fair point - and I should've clarified that. Normally flights for me are oversold in general, not just in economy. So hence VDBs. I've never been op-up'ed or even close when flying internationally (though there was a tease once at the kiosk for EWR-DEL).
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:01 pm

Programs: United 1k
Nearly 20 years ago, as a very young no status lad, me and the boyfriend got bumped LAX-SYD.

Now with upgrades for cash and miles and cash, it is long time since I have been on a plane with any spare seats in C, except when the whole plane in all classes has heaps of empty seats.

About 18 months ago on in SFO-LHR where I was using a SWU I sat next to a GS in C who told me she had been op up, it had happened to her a few times.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Op Upped a few times

I've gotten op upped 3 times from C to F.

However, I have never been op-upped from Y to C. That's when the op up is really good!
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
He/She is basing it off of the new (yet to be fully implemented) upgrade policy which favors fare before status...
Even if they prioritized op-ups in the same order as upgrades (which there is no particular reason to believe it would), what the poster said would still not be true since status still comes before fare class with Y/B being the only exceptions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.