Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Premier Newbie...Wondering if it was really worth it!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; WN; UA

I just earned Premier status about a week and a half ago. Today I flew DEN-SFO-YVR. On the DEN-SFO I had an E+ seat (I have an annual E+ pass), but because of an equipment change, they moved me to the back of the plane, middle seat. I asked the GA for any additional compensation (miles, etc.) and got nothing. I was a little upset.

When I boarded my plane to YVR in SFO, I got in to the Premier line, and the GA denied me because I didn't have Premier on my boarding pass. This was a little embarrassing as the GA was very rude and loud about it.

I guess my question is how long does it take for Premier status to take effect after you've earned it? And does anyone thing I should get anything in exchange for the equip change issue in Denver?? I was just very annoyed this morning!!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by arizonadogg
I guess my question is how long does it take for Premier status to take effect after you've earned it?
a few days after you cross the 25K/30EQS mark.

Originally Posted by arizonadogg
And does anyone thing I should get anything in exchange for the equip change issue in Denver?? I was just very annoyed this morning!!
IMhO, no. But a e-mail to CS might net an e-cert.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Congratulations on reaching 2P! I presume you returned from YVR before MP had recorded your last flight that put you over the 25,000 mile threshold. I too would write customer service about the equipment change and see what they say.

The benefits for 2P are being reduced come next year, but I believe that E+ access and the bonus miles are still better than not having them at all. But just wait until you get a taste of being 1P. And after that, 1P is cool until you become a 1K. Happy and safe future travels.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75k
I'm going to guess that your premier status had cleared on united.com, but that when you booked this travel you had no status.

To change the status on flights booked BEFORE a status change, you need to call and speak to an agent - they can update the itinerary for you.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k
You and I must have been on the same flight this morning.

I had the little boy in the last row (37 A,B), in which him and I were bumped from Econ+ Row 12. Im a 1P and they basically told be it was tough luck since the equipment changed. I can say that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me on UA, but like you, was certainly not pleased with the relative nonchalant attitude of the GA's.

MP Customer Service tends to be pretty good about these things and I too would encourage you to try your luck.

Congrats on your 2p status and although there are changes for 2012, have to believe its better than nothing. Hope your trip to YVR was uneventful past the GA's lack of recongnition.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 12:37 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Were there weather issues at Denver or ORD today? I've found the DEN-SFO run can end up with a lot of displaced high-level-elite folk in the back of the bus. Three years ago I was on a 767, way way back, sitting next to a 1K (I was probably 2P at the time). I felt lucky to have a seat, although I'll bet there were a lot of others for whom that was their scheduled flight that didn't feel that way (there were people from a 757 that was scrubbed because it never made it to DEN... not sure where the 767 came from but it wasn't originally scheduled to fly that route that night, but the weather was wrecking everything, I think even IAD had trouble).

On the other hand... those without status were being left behind entirely. So yes, there is some value to even 2P status.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; WN; UA
Originally Posted by Chandler69
You and I must have been on the same flight this morning.

I had the little boy in the last row (37 A,B), in which him and I were bumped from Econ+ Row 12. Im a 1P and they basically told be it was tough luck since the equipment changed. I can say that this is the first time anything like this has ever happened to me on UA, but like you, was certainly not pleased with the relative nonchalant attitude of the GA's.

MP Customer Service tends to be pretty good about these things and I too would encourage you to try your luck.

Congrats on your 2p status and although there are changes for 2012, have to believe its better than nothing. Hope your trip to YVR was uneventful past the GA's lack of recongnition.
The 6am departure from DEN? Yup that was it. I also was in row 12...and the GA was just like "oh sorry"....I'm usually not my cheeriest that early in the morning so it just compounded things.....

Originally Posted by direwolfpdx
I'm going to guess that your premier status had cleared on united.com, but that when you booked this travel you had no status.

To change the status on flights booked BEFORE a status change, you need to call and speak to an agent - they can update the itinerary for you.
That is what I figured. Thanks for the clarification. ^^

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 2, 2011 at 1:08 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.