Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 47,000 Mile Pre-Christmas Mileage Run (Season 2, now 59,000+ miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 47,000 Mile Pre-Christmas Mileage Run (Season 2, now 59,000+ miles)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2011, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Some points

Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Personally I don't think people need to spend $250,000 on a car but guess what...its not my place nor business to tell them how to use their money. @:-)
1) $250,000 on a car is expensive but not crazy. I know a colleague who has spent $250,000 on a watch. Yes, a wristwatch. I saw it, and I didn't know it was worth that much until someone else recognized what it was. We got to talking, and I asked the guy who recognized it how much it was. Makes Audemars Piguet, Breguet, and Piaget look like chump change. Now that's expensive!

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
I think the grandkids will just think their granddad is off the reservation just to get a few SWUs and some higher status for possible but not certain upgrades.
2) Ultimately, we can't really judge how another person raises his kids or how he much time he spends with them. The only judge of that will be the children when they grow up. The children will know whether or not dad was there for them.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Maybe he came to his senses and said to himself "what the heck am I doing all of this flying for just before the holidays -- just to get a few SWUs I'll never use and maybe have a higher chance of upgrading??"
3) I will agree with this point, not so much about the OP's "senses", but in that the SWU's mainly go into the garbage (5 of 6 did for me in 2011), and the upgrades will be few and far between (33% for me this year for UDU). Perhaps there was a day when 1K truly was awesome and we had great perks. But I will agree with SFO turtle that those perks are truly diminishing.

Originally Posted by colonius
I simply decided, due to the antagonistic climate that is prevalent on flyertalk nowadays, not to post any further. I did the remaining segments and requalified to 1k status.
4) Dude, you need to have a thicker skin on FT! Do you know how many times I have been flamed? Countless. I get flamed for not liking Kobe beef! That's the culture of FT: just keep flaming each other even if there is no reason to flame. Don't let SFOturtle single-handedly shut you down! You had a great story going!

Finally, my last point:

5) This thread really is about a mileage run. Shouldn't it be in the mileage run discussion forum instead of the UA forum?
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
1) Dude, you need to have a thicker skin on FT! Do you know how many times I have been flamed? Countless. I get flamed for not liking Kobe beef! That's the culture of FT: just keep flaming each other even if there is no reason to flame. Don't let SFOturtle single-handedly shut you down! You had a great story going!
Man, if I'm the reason Colonius shut down his story-telling, I'm sorry, but he really does need to grow a thicker skin. I read last year's trip report and got a big kick out of it. And I specifically dug up this year's thread today after two weeks of inactivity just to see if he made it and what crazy flights. Just because I wouldn't do it or think it's not worth the time away from home and expense doesn't mean I don't enjoy reading posts of exactly how he was going to get 1K done. Let's face it, all of us who are posting regularly on FT are probably at least just a little bit crazy. I hear that all the time from non-FTers, and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Or perhaps I'm just secretly jealous that Colonius made 1K while I am going to fall 10K short and Mrs. SFOTurtle wouldn't allow me to take a 10K mileage run to keep my status.

Last edited by SFOTurtle; Dec 26, 2011 at 11:47 pm
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:37 pm

That's too bad ... was looking forward to reading the reports. Perhaps you can post them either in the MR or Trip Reports forums?

I simply decided, due to the antagonistic climate that is prevalent on flyertalk nowadays, not to post any further. I did the remaining segments and requalified to 1k status.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:31 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Sorry to read this colonius. I enjoyed your trip last year and saw this post tonight and thought to myself, Oh Boy!!! another good read coming.

It is very sad that the negative/antagonistic climate ruined it for the rest of us. But I totally understand and respect your decision.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Colonius - you haven't been flamed THAT much yet! ;-)

Do write more..... Ignore those that disapprove. They're just feeling inadequate! ;-)
Old Dec 27, 2011, 8:57 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Pat89339
Sorry to read this colonius. I enjoyed your trip last year and saw this post tonight and thought to myself, Oh Boy!!! another good read coming.

It is very sad that the negative/antagonistic climate ruined it for the rest of us. But I totally understand and respect your decision.
Hi Pat and Colonius.. Colonius, while I understand your need not to continue, I did enjoy the first part of the report. I like the gusto in the way people go for status ( for whatever reason that drives them ) I too had my own Month of Miles in December about 21K all Domestic ( had fun DO's in BOS and ORD as well ) I hope that your travels went well and glad to hear that you made your 1K status. Bravo..

Pat, nice job with snagging Randys seat ( Im not a member of MP but did lurke a bit ! ) Happy Holidays and Safe Travels to all..

Last edited by Flying Machine; Dec 27, 2011 at 9:11 am
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks for posting these, colonius! I know I enjoyed reading last year's version.

Honestly, it sucks that people ruined this. The anonymity of the internet..

That said, I think posting this in the Trip Reports forum might garner a bit more respect and fun from the forum participants. I would have LOVED to read the entire report. I'll take what I can get though
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
The forum has some very opinionated posters and can be rather brutal at times. I've gotten my fair share of beatings on my posts, so I try not to do that to others.

For what it's worth, it sounds like you plotted out a great trip and I bet you had allot of fun with it. I, as I suspect you do, enjoys the thrill of plotting out a good MR and then doing it. Yes they can be a bit brutal, but the stories you can tell afterwards sure make up for it! I hope you don't regret your MR & you will certainly enjoy your 1K status next year - definately worth the effort to someone who knows and appreciates the value of being a 1K.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 9:26 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Since this has really strayed off-topic, I am going to close this thread.

We certainly invite the OP to contact one of the Mods to have it reopened should he so desire.

iluv2fly
Moderator, UA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.