Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

The 47,000 Mile Pre-Christmas Mileage Run (Season 2, now 59,000+ miles)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 47,000 Mile Pre-Christmas Mileage Run (Season 2, now 59,000+ miles)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA: 1p, AA: plat 2MM
Originally Posted by ssh

By "how" I was actually thinking about the booking engine you chose to use and the process you use for it.
Anyway, just wondered what your favorite search tools were, and what I could learn from your process...

FlightAware thinks that AC 850 is about halfway there and expected to arrive early, so hopefully all is well!
Sorry for misunderstanding you....

Since .bomb is almost unusable at times, most routes are initially found on the CO website.... It is just trying and looking and checking MR deals here on Flyer Talk to see what might fit. Things are easier, if there are less time constraints, but this needed to be built around a business trip to Europe that was scheduled for early to mid December.

We actually really don't use special tools to find the flights.... some things just need patience. This year multi city bookings did not give the desired results. Last year we found what we wanted that way.

Lady Mim
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Princess1
And some people just love to fly. If I had the time and money, heck yes would I want to try this! It's an adventure!it makes a great story for the grand kids!
Hopefully the OP isn't missing any of the grandkids' birthdays just to make 1K. I do recall him missing a lot of time with his family last year. It does seem like he's missing some or all of another kids' birthday, not to mention much of this month and all of the other flying time away from home. I think the grandkids will just think their granddad is off the reservation just to get a few SWUs and some higher status for possible but not certain upgrades.

I do agree with those who question the value of spending so much personal $$ just to renew status that would be eluding the OP now for two years straight and by a huge amount but for dropping the big personal expense. But to each his own.

I also question scheduling such a tight connection in YYC for an international flight in November with no backup plan. Don't you have to assume that AC would be at least an hour or two late given weather delays and normal ATC issues in the Pacific Northwest? I can't remember the last time I flew into or out of YVR and the flight was not delayed.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by j1j2j38
Seriously, is there something magic about 1K
After 20+ years of flying UA, mostly as a PremEx, I finally made 1k back in 2010. I'm not sure magic is the right word, but I'm glad that I crossed the line for at least one year.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA: 1p, AA: plat 2MM
Originally Posted by drummingcraig
Without knowing the OP personally I would not be so quick to assume that having 1K status is useless for him/her. Plenty of people do plenty of things with their money that others may consider odd or immoral. Personally I don't think people need to spend $250,000 on a car but guess what...its not my place nor business to tell them how to use their money. @:-)

If you don't think the OP's venture is a good use of time/money that is your prerogative, but why flame him?
Thank you so much for your comment...

It seems that I had assumed that people had taken the time to look into last year's blog or actually had followed that one at the time. My fault.

So some information that was not accessible to all of you: The whole mileage run was/is built around a business trip to Germany that needs to happen in early to mid-December. While SEA-CGN usually has very good pricing, it was very, very expensive this year. SEA-LHR was a bargain compared to that. So was LHR-SYD compared to LAX-SYD, needing almost exactly the same time to complete. If you consider the cost of the ferry and necessary hotel accommodation and the additional time it would take to do so, flying YYJ-LHR was economically more feasible than starting from somewhere in the States for what was supposed to be basically an overnight trip this weekend.

The cost of getting to Germany directly actually made it more attractive to get an award ticket on LH from LHR to CGN, as inner European flights don't award any EQM and they were not exactly bargains, either.

Since the company in Germany pays for roughly $ 1500 of the traveling costs, this year's trip is still more expensive than last year's, but with $ 1200 not outrageously so, since it is about 12,000 Miles more.

I can very well understand that some of you can't understand. I can only recommend that you stop following this thread and let those who do continue to follow it enjoy Colonius's narration of what happened and what is to come.

I know I will...

Lady Mim
Old Nov 28, 2011, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
If a MR like this happens every several years then fine, but if someone is having to do this every year for status, then I'm not sure it is worth it. I mean there was no DEQM offer to jump in for, thus this padded trip I hope is the last time you have to stretch 2 inches into a foot.

Once you get status it is hard to give it up, and people all over this board go to extraordinary lengths to maintain it, such as OP. People get used to the perks and can't imagine having to travel without what they have grown accustomed.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I don't think everyone is getting into the right spirit of this. I find this adventure highly motivating. It makes me yearn for the years past before I got married when I would schedule day-trip transcon mileage runs to pad my balance.

<- eagerly awaiting the next episode of the 59k mileage run
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Originally Posted by Boogie711
While I appreciate a good mileage run, am I alone in thinking "This isn't it?"

I'm sorry, but if you're racking up more miles than is required to get *G from scratch, you're just being dumb. Are you going to spend $4,500 to get 1K status, and then only fly another 40k miles in year 3?

Furthermore, flying into and/or out of LHR is never a good MR practice, nor is flying out of Canada. Basically, two of the most expensive markets (speaking as a Canadian UA customer who, yes, has flown into and out of LHR.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but respectfully, I wouldn't call any of this a MR. I would call it a brutally expensive (7.5c/m!) vanity run.
The world is not as black and white as you would have it.

LHR was the most economical choice for the long mileage runs required, if I would have had a little more time, it would have been ideal. Also, flying out of Canada is not generally more expensive. It depends.

Lastly, my flying patterns historically have involved more flying than in the last two years and may very well do so again in the next year. That is why do not want to loose status for 2012.

I have never been accused of vanity, but you are entitled to your opinions.

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Hopefully the OP isn't missing any of the grandkids' birthdays just to make 1K. I do recall him missing a lot of time with his family last year. It does seem like he's missing some or all of another kids' birthday, not to mention much of this month and all of the other flying time away from home. I think the grandkids will just think their granddad is off the reservation just to get a few SWUs and some higher status for possible but not certain upgrades.

I do agree with those who question the value of spending so much personal $$ just to renew status that would be eluding the OP now for two years straight and by a huge amount but for dropping the big personal expense. But to each his own.

I also question scheduling such a tight connection in YYC for an international flight in November with no backup plan. Don't you have to assume that AC would be at least an hour or two late given weather delays and normal ATC issues in the Pacific Northwest? I can't remember the last time I flew into or out of YVR and the flight was not delayed.
Well it is kids as in children and not grandkids as in grandchildren. And I believe that I spend more time with them than many others here.

As to the scheduling: I was not given many options on AC that made sense from a price/routing/mileage point of view. This one appeared to be the best.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 29, 2011 at 6:03 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 29, 2011, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Day 2 (Continued) and Day 3:

While there were quite a number of weather delays in YYC today (Sunday Nov 27), AC850 to LHR left with minimal delay. Now I am sure that YYC has speed bumps on the runways! Seriously, if you have back problems, avoid YYC...

From the perspective of an UA frequent flier, this flight was shockingly empty – I had a whole row to myself ! Here are some observations about the differences between UA and AC on a transatlantic flight, purely anecdotal and personal:

Extremely friendly and attentive service (but honestly, with a 20% load factor that is easier than with the loads you would have seen on a comparable UA flight)

AC's AVOD is light-years ahead of anything on UA, BUT – the advertising can really get to your nerves. Almost 10 minutes of commercials before the movie starts. Grrr....

Half the seats in Y have 110V power ports. Nice!

Even at 33”, the seats felt quite claustrophobic – not looking forward to the return flight at 31”. The seat itself was quite comfortable. The pillows are nasty, plasticky affairs about as thick as the seat cushions on the new LH economy seat. If you don't know that seat, think the thickness of a copy of “USA Today”.

The food is horrible, worse than Y-class on UA. OK, I hear you, you don't believe that is possible. I would not have believed me before this flight. Here are the culinary delights served on this flight: choice of chicken with rice, pasta with meat sauce and “fish” (they did not explain that one any further). Since I am not a fan of meat sauce mush (“pasta” is airline jargon for “mush”) and I would never consider “mystery fish”, I choose the chicken and rice. On the tray, there was the tiniest hot food container I have ever seen on an aircraft, accompanied by a corn salad with some green thingies ( oval shaped, not peas, could have been some kind of bean) and some fudge cake. Add butter and a vacuum-sealed roll. Inside the tiny entree container there was room to spare, because all there was inside it was a Chicken Mc'Nugget sized piece of chicken breast, some white sauce and a bit of rice. No veggies. The chicken was dry and bland, the sauce was bland, the rice had the consistency of Elmer's glue – except at the bottom, where it was dried Elmer's glue. Bland Elmer's Glue, of course. The corn salad was chewy and bland, the fudge cake was greasy and bland. At the very least, AC should increase the size of the pepper packet on the tray. Or consider serving actual food – you make UA look like a three star restaurant!

Towards the end of the flight, a breakfast of sorts was served: one tiny yoghurt and a muffin that appeared thoroughly uninviting. I passed on the muffin, even though I was hungry.

The end of flight drill (seat belts, electronic etc) seems to happen much later than on UA, well inside the descent.

All in all, AC would not be able to sway me from UA, but could be a bearable second choice in the future. Admittedly, this was my first ever AC long-haul.

Arrival in the UK was uneventful. I was surprised that the UK seems to have taken a page from the CBP's book of traveller inconvenience: the line for Non-EU/UK passports was extremely long, even though the airport did not seem to be unreasonably busy. Not a concern for me, I still have my European passport and was through immigration in less than a minute. Customs was absent – but you had to pass through a weird-looking gate that obviously contained some kind of equipment. Passing through the last-minute-to-make-another-pound “gift shop”, I went for the “Hotel Hoppa” shuttle. The UK must be the only place in the world where there is no “courtesy” in “courtesy shuttle” - they charge you Ł7 round-trip.

Off to the Heathrow Sheraton, which is currently a big construction site. On the up-side, the hotel is currently rated only as SPG category 2, or 4000 *points per night. Since there is nothing wrong with the rooms, this is a really sweet deal for a mileage run . Rest, relaxation, sleep.

Day 3:

I am sitting at the London Lounge now (food offerings for lunch are pretty ho-hum, probably will check out the Silver Kris lounge later) and I am looking at a completely full flight to Toronto. More to come tomorrow...

Upcoming: Day 3 continuted, Day 4 – LHR to YYJ – and after that more flights, taking me to IAH, JFK, SYD, LHR (three more times), CGN and various stops in between, on UA, CO and LH.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Great report, colonius!

I just got back from 16 hours in Hong Kong as part of my push to get 1K again. I decided to pursue the prize a bit late this year, so HKG was the third of my MR destinations since October (Singapore and Dubai were the others).

It was a fun little trip, quite pleasant in every regard. Upgrades cleared, flights were early/on-time and I enjoyed my time in Hong Kong. Walking around Mong Kok on Sunday night I thought (as I politely said "no thank you" to the offer of one of several "nice girls" on the corner) "this is really fun." Then I went and had some delicious shredded pork with crispy noodles. I can highly recommend the Langham Place Hotel!

That bit got me 17,350 miles closer to 1K (plus an extra 15,574 bonus RDMs for 895/896 in that CX-fighting ORD-HKG promotion); I still have 10,943 "on deck" (PVD, RIC and SBA in their varied permuations).

But it's an adventure; I am sometimes surprised when this realization sneaks up on me!
Old Nov 29, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1K
and I thought me doing OAK-DEN-IAH-DME-SIN-TPE (15k mi) in 3 days is a lot...

good luck.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:27 am

Thanks for posting these, colonius! I know I enjoyed reading last year's version.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by RandomTaiwanese
and I thought me doing OAK-DEN-IAH-DME-SIN-TPE (15k mi) in 3 days is a lot...

good luck.
I hope you double checked to make sure those Singapore flights earn miles! I almost made that mistake last year when IAH-DME-IAH was only $500 or so, but it earned 0%.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by wcalvert
I almost made that mistake last year when IAH-DME-IAH was only $500 or so, but it earned 0%.
Yes, one must be careful when booking cheap tickets on SQ. They advertise some nice specials on the website, but closer inspection reveals that they don't earn miles. And playing dumb and writing to Mileage Plus after the fact did not earn them for me, either!
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kurt
Yes, one must be careful when booking cheap tickets on SQ. They advertise some nice specials on the website, but closer inspection reveals that they don't earn miles. And playing dumb and writing to Mileage Plus after the fact did not earn them for me, either!
I checked the fare rules and it was booked into W (not Q), which were 100% mile earning. (my TPE-SIN-DME-IAH already got posted at 100%)

next time when booking, just check the fare rules. the first letter will be the fare bucket that the ticket is booked into, reference with CO/UA partner airlines earning and you are sure whether you will get miles out of the trip.

(btw SQ posts some nice fares between IAH and asian destinations that are not SIN )
Old Dec 2, 2011, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Day 4:

LHR to YYJ

After sleeping for more than 12 hours, I returned to the airport relaxed and revitalized. The AC check-in kiosk barfed on my passport (as it had done in YYC), so I had to proceed to the check-in counter. At the *G check-in station, check-in was friendly, but slow. Security, surprisingly, was not too busy, so I made in to the London Lounge in good time – remember that AC is in Terminal 3, not Terminal 1. The lounge was crowded and both the seating and food offerings were much less appealing than what is offered at the Terminal 1 Star Alliance Lounge.

Since I read so many good things about the Silver Kris Lounge at LHR, I moved over to that lounge. While the lounge was completely empty, I was completely underwhelmed with their food offerings, which consisted of:

three empty chafing dishes
one empty soup kettle
an empty food station to the side of the main counter
potato chips
prepackaged finger-sandwiches
ramen noodle soup

After enquiring about the food situation, I was told that hot food would not be available before 4.00 pm. Kind of a let-down if your flight leaves at 3.00 pm. From what I read on this forum, Singapore Airlines does everything they can to alienate *Gold members and drive them off their lounges. They did, however, swipe my card and boarding pass to collect the money from AC (or would that be UA?). SQ really is no team player, so why are they in Star Alliance at all?

Anyway, after imbibing the worth of my admission in Johnny Walker Black Label, I went to my departure gate – and a flight that was as crowded as I feared. Pre-boarding was OK, the seat pretty claustrophobic at a 31” pitch and with a 6-foot-something guy in the middle seat next to me – that poor guy didn't really know where to put his knees, so his left knee really protruded into my space. I did not complain as he literally had no other way to sit. Since both of us are broad-shouldered, we actually touched shoulders, too. All in all, quite miserable.

This time, with a full cabin, service was not quite so great. Still friendly, but slow. Also, the flight attendants vanished after the main service and did not make many appearances thereafter. Did I mention that the food was horrible on the way to LHR? Much to my amazement, AC could actually do even worse than that. Meal choices this time were “chicken” or “pasta”. You know what I think about airline pasta, so I took the chicken – after verifying that it wasn't the same “chicken and rice” culinary disaster that I had before.

So I received my tray, which contained a small container of pasta salad, a prepackaged cookie for dessert, a roll, butter and another of those miniature hot food containers. The main attraction: a pinkish piece of mystery meat with something akin to pork-rind on one side, five grean beans (I counted) and a yellowish, half-liquid mess to one side. As is befitting for British cuisine, everything swam in a lake of grease. According to the label, it was “Chicken with Ginger and mashed potatoes”. I couldn't tell what it was, the mystery meat had neither the texture or flavour of any chicken I ever had before and the ginger was AWOL. The mashed potatoes (so that is what that yellow stuff was supposed to be!) were liquid, yet grainy at the same time and tasted vaguely of chlorine bleach with a hint of lard. At that point I was happy that I had raided the Silver Kris lounge's supply of finger-sandwiches and could go on without eating this poor excuse for airline food. The pre-arrival snack was somewhat better, a choice between several savoury pastries.

Dear Air Canada: claiming that you serve food in economy is simply misrepresentation. To be honest, the food section on your itineraris should not read “lunch”, “dinner” or “snack”, but simply “slops” or “muck”.

Arrival in YYZ was uneventful, but 50 minutes late due to strong headwinds. The connection time was still adequate, mostly due to my Nexus card, which allowed me to bypass the immigration line and do the Nexus dance instead. You don't know the Nexus dance? You need to position yourself precisely in front of the camera for the iris scan. Almost nobody get's it right the first time. So you get helpful hints: “Please step back a little. Please step forward a little. Please step to the left a little. Thank you for your cooperation.”

Security was also easier and faster, due to Nexus. After finding out where to go – I am not familiar with YYZ and signage is not great – I even had time for a quick bite and a beer at the Maple Leaf Lounge. I boarded my flight to YYJ, thankfully with an empty seat next to me – and there is little to tell about that flight. Arrived in Victoria, wife and kids waiting to pick me up – as of yet, I am still welcome home. Sleep at home.

(Currently I am at the SFO United Club, waiting for my next flight. I know I am behind a bit on my writing, but will try to catch up)

Upcoming: Day 5 (YYJ to SEA by land and SEA) and Day 6: SEA-IAH-SEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.