Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2 PAX, 1 PNR, 1 person's trip to be cancelled - Will confirmed upgrade be retained?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 PAX, 1 PNR, 1 person's trip to be cancelled - Will confirmed upgrade be retained?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA

Hi,

I have a quick question for the experts here and couldn't find another obvious thread to put it into.

Mrs Duck and I have a European trip planned for December but she may be there through business already. She is 1P, I am 2P.

We have received a confirmed UG on the return leg but not on the outbound.

If we need to cancel her flights (Non refundable etc)

1. What is the best way to do it? (Split PNR, etc)
2. Will I be able to retain my confirmed upgrade (I am unsure of policy on this)

Thanks in advance,

Duck
Old Nov 21, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Split the PNR, shouldn't be any issue keeping the UG
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the help - probably the best way to do it.

Maybe I'll be confirmed UG for the outbound leg if I'm lucky...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

Still awaiting the upgrade. The inbound return (H) was upgraded a long time ago but despite there being C9, Z9, J9 (and even NF3) our Q Fare has not been upgraded (I know it is lower priority). BTW Y is almost full, there are certainly more seats in C/F than Y.

My question for the experts is whether, with 1 week to go, I should split the PNR now and take my chances as 1 x 2P or keep it the way it is until before Check In (Where it is 1 x 1P, 1 x 2P currently).

If anyone has a good idea on this I am all ears.

Thanks in advance,

Declan
Old Dec 13, 2011, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by duck_77
Hi,

Still awaiting the upgrade. The inbound return (H) was upgraded a long time ago but despite there being C9, Z9, J9 (and even NF3) our Q Fare has not been upgraded (I know it is lower priority). BTW Y is almost full, there are certainly more seats in C/F than Y.

My question for the experts is whether, with 1 week to go, I should split the PNR now and take my chances as 1 x 2P or keep it the way it is until before Check In (Where it is 1 x 1P, 1 x 2P currently).

If anyone has a good idea on this I am all ears.

Thanks in advance,

Declan
I suspect the tradeoff might be between getting a status boost from your wife, depending on whether UA treats the two of you as 1P or 2P for the purposes of this upgrade, versus only getting the upgrade if two seats are released at the same time. Also, splitting the PNR might reset the time stamp on your upgrade request. You need really expert knowledge of UA procedures to make a decision between splitting now versus splitting at the last moment for canceling the second ticket and getting a credit, minus change fees of course.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks - yes, exactly my conundrum - if there someone out there with that knowledge I would appreciate their input.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 8:55 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
If there is no reason to have to cancel now, it would be best to ride the higher elite status until closer to flight time. If you have not cleared by OLCI, it is likely you will go to the gate and be prioritized based on your lower status.

Depending on the fare basis you will need to cancel the unused ticket prior to departure to retain future value, but waiting is to your advantage.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade wasn't completed. Debating whether to check in or not... I know there are threads on this but any advice? Thanks in advance

Last edited by duck_77; Dec 20, 2011 at 7:59 pm Reason: Addition
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by duck_77
Upgrade wasn't completed. Debating whether to check in or not... I know there are threads on this but any advice? Thanks in advance
I think the advice is going to be what it always has been,
Some think you should and some think you should not.

As a low-level elite, your upgrade is probably not going to clear (if at all) at this point until the gate. So the preference is an early check-in for the second tie breaker out weights the potential of confusion if your upgrade clears in the last few hours.

but more (lots more discussion) in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-merged.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ld-i-olci.html
Old Dec 20, 2011, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.