Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

E- entirely full, no pax permitted to move to near empty E+

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by epiding
as much as protecting revenue is important, the bitterness it engenders from non-elites flying UA shouldn't be discounted long-term....

For something flying in E- that day.... had they chosen to fly US Air or Delta or Southwest instead that day, and they wouldn't likely be in the cramped sardine situation in the overcrowded E- cabin (but empty E+). Again, it engenders anti-UA bitterness, and makes the non-status GM want to fly another airline where there would be lower seating density with a similar situation of 1/2 plane full (but 100% E- full).

Sitting in the exit row E+ one row ahead of E-, I'm personally heard of lot of E- seated people in this situation mumble bitterness about the above. And it is sorta true that (with all other plane capacity factors equal) they would have more spacing if they flew another airline without E+. Over time this makes an effect on non-elite fliers.

...thus the alternative in their mind is not them BUYING up to E+ next time, but simply booking another airline altogether period.
90% of non-elite fliers make their choice by price then schedule. The airline choice is third. So, I guess it could impact someone if Southwest had the same price and schedule that United had.

The question is that offset by the additional revenue United gets selling E+ in its various forms (buy-ups, credit cards, etc.)? Probably at best it is a wash.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AY Gold, Hyatt diamond.
I always wonder if I should complain when the rule is not enforced. On many flights beeing elite gives you an entire row or at least an empty middle seat. Some FA:s have however allowed passengers to move up for free spoiling this. On one TATL flight this gave some passengers in E- rows for themselves while we who had that privilege in E+ before lost it.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:40 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
That was my trip home from SD on Sunday! We did reward on the way down, but the tickets on the way home were so cheap I did not even want to burn 10,000 miles.

I bought her ticket first. Then mine later on a seperate PNR. We had bulkhead 7 B and C.

Of course, I was upgraded and I had her in the middle seat (B)...

And, to further prove the similarity between your wife and mine: She refused to take my F seat and sat in row 7...

Yes, happy ending, we are still married one full day later!

I always put the lower status in the outside and I'm in the middle, that way if I get upgraded they still have a non-ceenter,

It was a first for me...

When do they do it? Once airborne after the seatbelt sign is off?

If they do it before the plane takes off, coudn't that mess with their on time departures? Do they even have the CC machines booted up before take off? Aren't they electronic, and must be shut down like my kindle?
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
FA did her job.

I would have given her a compliment certificate and sent in a positive review.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Agree w most! If you want to sit in E+ pay for E+. If there was a weight and balance issue, the Capt would have addressed it. And I agree w those who don't like when the rules are *not* enforced.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:13 pm

Delta will soon have the premium economy cabin as well so there goes that argument of this bitterness tie in with that occupy crap & customers will flow to those airlines.

Note to those elite passengers traveling with your significant others... Put YOURSELF in the middle seat when you first book the reservation. Just maybe subconsciously you wanted to submit your SO to a middle seat when you made those few mouse clicks; it's not like you didn't realize you could be upgraded.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
as much as protecting revenue is important, the bitterness it engenders from non-elites flying UA shouldn't be discounted long-term....

For something flying in E- that day.... had they chosen to fly US Air or Delta or Southwest instead that day, and they wouldn't likely be in the cramped sardine situation in the overcrowded E- cabin (but empty E+).
Can you explain how this is different on US, when they also charge for window/aisle seats near the front of the plane (of course, in seats that don't have the extra legroom, so probably much less valuable to purchase)? Still encourages people to select the free seats at the back, unless they want a middle near the front of the plane.

Welcome to air travel in the year 2011. The better seats go to either elites or those who are willing to shell out a few extra bucks. It could be worse - Air Canada even charges elites for their "preferred" seats in most cases (Their 1K equivalents get it comp. on all but the lowest fares (Tango), however all other AC elites only get them free on a Lattitude, or the highest of fares).
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The FA deserves a stack of GTEMs for enforcing E+.
Agreed ^ In a recent long-haul flight GRU-ORD, the GA moved lots of people from E- to E+ to "even out" the load...Happens a lot on GRU and GIG flights.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 1:23 am

Programs: QR platinum
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
It can be worse. I booked SFO-PEK-PVG-LAX-SFO, paid ticket. Same itin for my wife, but award. Have I ever not cleared LAX-SFO? Not that I recall. I knew it was going to happen ahead of time, but there's apparently no way to turn down the automatic upgrade request, and of course it comes through 5 or 6 days out, and of course by the time I log on and check seats the exit row seat where I was (next to her) is now taken by somebody else, the plane is full, etc. And of course she refused to switch seats with me. Is this drill familiar to you?
A bit out of topic here, but two weeks ago I was traveling LAS-DEN with Ms. CASAFlyer on a separate PNR. When I called to move her to Y+, the 1k agent asked me if I wanted to cancel the pending UDU. Of course, I promptly agreed. To my surprise (based on what I read on FT), I stayed in my middle Y+ seat, even though the flight was NC9 at the 1k UDU window.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
This is one of the great perks of flying UA outside peak season for me. Not so much the extra legroom - although that's great - but the relatively empty E+ cabin compared to the full E- cabin. More often than not I'll have a seat beside me on the 777.

If handled correctly, I can't see why the issue should be so divisive. Everyone is fully aware that there are different classes of service on board and this is one. I would regard the boarding procedure itself as far more divisive - I benefit from it and it makes me cringe with embarrassment. But paying for (whether in cash or through loyalty) more space is a simple financial transaction that everyone should understand, no different from paying for a larger car.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 6:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
It can be worse. I booked SFO-PEK-PVG-LAX-SFO, paid ticket. Same itin for my wife, but award. Have I ever not cleared LAX-SFO? Not that I recall. I knew it was going to happen ahead of time, but there's apparently no way to turn down the automatic upgrade request, and of course it comes through 5 or 6 days out, and of course by the time I log on and check seats the exit row seat where I was (next to her) is now taken by somebody else, the plane is full, etc. And of course she refused to switch seats with me. Is this drill familiar to you?
I did the equivalent once. 21B was very happy to swap for 2B. Problem solved.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bowman
I always wonder if I should complain when the rule is not enforced. On many flights beeing elite gives you an entire row or at least an empty middle seat. Some FA:s have however allowed passengers to move up for free spoiling this. On one TATL flight this gave some passengers in E- rows for themselves while we who had that privilege in E+ before lost it.
One time I was on a flight from EZE to IAD on a B767. All of the window and aisle seats on the sides were occupied but the middle seats in the mid-section of E+ were almost all empty. I was happy sitting in my E+ aisle seat in the mid-section with an empty seat next to me. Then after the door was closed, a FA was leading a rather large pax from E- to the E+ section and said “These seats have more leg room, take anyone of them” Out of all the empty middle seats, guess which one he took? Yeap, the one next to me. I was so pissed!!!! But what could I do? I only paid for one seat.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

For something flying in E- that day.... had they chosen to fly US Air or Delta or Southwest instead that day, and they wouldn't likely be in the cramped sardine situation in the overcrowded E- cabin (but empty E+). Again, it engenders anti-UA bitterness, and makes the non-status GM want to fly another airline where there would be lower seating density with a similar situation of 1/2 plane full (but 100% E- full).

Sitting in the exit row E+ one row ahead of E-, I'm personally heard of lot of E- seated people in this situation mumble bitterness about the above. And it is sorta true that (with all other plane capacity factors equal) they would have more spacing if they flew another airline without E+. Over time this makes an effect on non-elite fliers.

...thus the alternative in their mind is not them BUYING up to E+ next time, but simply booking another airline altogether period.
It also engenders bad will from pax who pay for or earn their way into E+ when freeloaders freeload. It's a double whammy for UA to allow it: 1) loss of revenue; and 2) loss of customer goodwill.

Much of the problem solved with the universal proliferation of BOB payment devices allowing them what want to UG to E+ to buy it onboard, even in-flight.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I bought her ticket first. Then mine later on a seperate PNR. We had bulkhead 7 B and C.

Of course, I was upgraded and I had her in the middle seat (B)...

And, to further prove the similarity between your wife and mine: She refused to take my F seat and sat in row 7...

Yes, happy ending, we are still married one full day later!
When I travel with a companion with lesser status, I try to assign aisle seat to my companion and I take a window or middle seat. If only I get upgraded, s/he has an aisle seat.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
It's too bad that, according to the OP's account, a United elite member wasn't able to secure a seat in the Economy Plus section.

If someone said to the flight attendant "can I go sit up there, I'm a Premier member, see?" it seems like a reasonable thing to do is to get the gate agent to assign that passenger a new seat. I suppose that only works before takeoff.

Seems like another reasonable thing to do might be to charge the passenger the on-board buy-up, explain that if they don't they face disciplinary action, and give them the phone number they need to call to request a refund for being improperly charged a buy-up fee as a 2P and the e-mail address they can use to suggest any changes to policies they think flight attendants should be required to follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.