Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Need advice re upgrading on earlier connecting flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice re upgrading on earlier connecting flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Need advice re upgrading on earlier connecting flight

I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but I've searched and came up empty:

A week from Tuesday I'll be arriving in ORD at 10:10 a.m. from LHR and not connecting on to SFO until 8 p.m. Using an SWU, I'm upgraded from Y to J on both flights. I'll only have carry-on luggage. My questions:

1. I'd be interested in making an earlier connection on to SFO, but only if I can get upgraded. Am I correct in assuming that I simply ask about this before each of the earlier flights? And if so, best to do it at the RCC, the gate or by phone? And how soon before each flight?
2. Is the process such that I first have to get a seat in Y on the earlier flight, which would mean forfeiting my later upgraded seat?
3. Any other advice on how to approach this?
4. If it's a nice day and I decide to head into Chicago for several hours, what's the best way to handle my luggage? Simply leave it at the RCC? Or is there a left luggage facility airside or landside?

Thanks for any help!
Old Sep 26, 2011, 1:37 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I'm sure these questions have been asked and answered, but I've searched and came up empty:

A week from Tuesday I'll be arriving in ORD at 10:10 a.m. from LHR and not connecting on to SFO until 8 p.m. Using an SWU, I'm upgraded from Y to J on both flights. I'll only have carry-on luggage. My questions:

1. I'd be interested in making an earlier connection on to SFO, but only if I can get upgraded. Am I correct in assuming that I simply ask about this before each of the earlier flights? And if so, best to do it at the RCC, the gate or by phone? And how soon before each flight?
2. Is the process such that I first have to get a seat in Y on the earlier flight, which would mean forfeiting my later upgraded seat?
3. Any other advice on how to approach this?
4. If it's a nice day and I decide to head into Chicago for several hours, what's the best way to handle my luggage? Simply leave it at the RCC? Or is there a left luggage facility airside or landside?

Thanks for any help!
1. Yes you can ask about everything in the RCC.
2. Yes you would have to be confirmed in Y to get a F seat on the new flight, however there's no risk.. you can tell the agent you want to stand by only for F and if you can't get it then you don't want Y.
3. I have had experience where an RCC or GA will just confirm me on the spot if the flight looks wide open.. you should check loads yourself and see if there's anything with NF space available. Probably not likely with a route like ORD-SFO.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
2. Yes you would have to be confirmed in Y to get a F seat on the new flight, however there's no risk.. you can tell the agent you want to stand by only for F and if you can't get it then you don't want Y.
To make things crystal clear, if you standby on a different flight, the chances of you clearing are fairly small.

The GAs are "supposed" to clear the upgrade list before the standby waitlist. So there will be very likely no seats in F remaining before you get your Y seat.

However, if you *confirm* (via confirmed same-day-change) onto the flight, then you get on the upgrade list immediately. That's where the RCC can help give you an idea (perhaps) how likely it would be to clear *if you confirmed* before you make the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.