Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone been on the UA ORD-IAD-ORD Route Recently in First/Business

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I've gotten food from FRA-DUS! I also had a hot, fully plated meal with dessert on a RJ from ZRH-VIE ^

And since I do remember the days when meals were served ORD-DCA/IAD, it's obvious they can serve them, just that they no longer due to cutting down costs.
Turns out Americans prefer economy big seat (aka domestic first) to food offerings. How comfortable is the 31" pitch of European first?

Also, Asian airlines flying international routes and offering lots of hot meals on short flights is soon to go the way of the dodo with the invasion of LCCs in Asia. If you've seen the fares for some of these intra-Asia flights in the past, you'll understand why they can afford meals. I'll take $300 transcons and a crummy meal to a $600 3 hour flight with good catering every day and twice on Sunday. $300 will buy you one of the best meals of your life on the ground.

SQ can do a meal service on SIN-KUL, a 55 minute 196 mile flight in an A330; granted this is UA we're talking about, I wouldn't expect them to be capable of pulling it off these days.
It is physically possible to do. But for a plate of mostly inedible food, SQ charges you for the "privilege" of eating that slop about $125 above other carriers in the same market on a regular basis. And you don't even earn any KrisFlyer miles (like those are worth anything anyway).

Life is about tradeoffs.

Last edited by andrewwm; Jan 12, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:03 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by catocony
Guy, you'll barely be in the air an hour and half, even less coming back to Dulles. There's no time on short flights like that for a meal service.
There is time. UA just chooses not to do it. (Maybe there is no demand for it.) But Asian and Euro carriers often serve hot meals on 1.5 hour flights, even in economy. It is possible to do.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I had a meal (cold, but still) in F on the 84 mile Dragonair CAN-HKG route
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Turns out Americans prefer economy big seat (aka domestic first) to food offerings. How comfortable is the 31" pitch of European first?

* Where did you get the idea that Americans prefer big seats to the exclusion of food offerings? We're Americans. We prefer both!

And if I must be in a 31" pitch seat of European first I have no problem with getting better food/booze offerings than in the US. Just sayin...

Also, Asian airlines flying international routes and offering lots of hot meals on short flights is soon to go the way of the dodo with the invasion of LCCs in Asia. If you've seen the fares for some of these intra-Asia flights in the past, you'll understand why they can afford meals. I'll take $300 transcons and a crummy meal to a $600 3 hour flight with good catering every day and twice on Sunday. $300 will buy you one of the best meals of your life on the ground.

* Underlining mine. You obviously frequent different airport restaurants than I do, because I have yet to find one that offers a $300 meal! And while you'll take the $300/crummy, others might prefer the other. But the bottom line is it has nothing to do w/ UA stating that they don't offer meals because the flight is too short, which is total BS. UA itself served meals on this route; other airlines serve meals on shorter routes. If UA wants to tell the truth & say hey we're cheaping out again we'd get it. But to say the flight is too short is BS & insults those of us who flew the route(s) with meals.
** PS - I only did the bold because I didn't know how to differentiate between responding to multiple paragraphs in a single post.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 pm

* Where did you get the idea that Americans prefer big seats to the exclusion of food offerings? We're Americans. We prefer both!
Well I'd prefer chateaubriand and caviar in my lie-flat suite on my SFO-PDX flights too.

My point is that there are tradeoffs. In Europe, they went with small seats and food for their F (or really Y + food). In US, the airlines went with big seats.

I can see how some might want it one way or the other (some days I might prefer the food, others I might the seats).

But to complain that UA doesn't serve meals in F when European airline X, Y, or Z serves meals in C on similar stage length flights misses the fact that for the meal you've traded off the nicer seat.

* Underlining mine. You obviously frequent different airport restaurants than I do, because I have yet to find one that offers a $300 meal! And while you'll take the $300/crummy, others might prefer the other. But the bottom line is it has nothing to do w/ UA stating that they don't offer meals because the flight is too short, which is total BS. UA itself served meals on this route; other airlines serve meals on shorter routes. If UA wants to tell the truth & say hey we're cheaping out again we'd get it. But to say the flight is too short is BS & insults those of us who flew the route(s) with meals.
I mean, sure. There are people out there that won't blink an eye at dropping $300 extra for a tray of cafeteria food on intra-Asia flights (probably mostly people flying with OPM?). But as the success of Asian LCCs show, it ain't a big market. I can think of a lot of other things I'd rather do with my own $$ money than get a nice coach meal or even C meal on NRT-ICN or SIN-KUL. Like spending it at my destination: http://www.peninsula.com/Hong_Kong/e...x/default.aspx

Even on intra-Asia flights, a meal at an airport will be better than what you will be served on the plane 99% of the time.

Last edited by andrewwm; Jan 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by andrewwm
But to complain that UA doesn't serve meals in F when European airline X, Y, or Z serves meals in C on similar stage length flights misses the fact that for the meal you've traded off the nicer seat.
Sigh - evidently YOU'RE missing the fact.

We are talking a specific. UA used to serve meals on this flight. They no longer do - stating the reason is the flight is too short. Since they used to serve a full meal on that flight & even then a salad/sandwich meal, it means they could still serve a meal. They choose not to do so. So be it - but don't lie about it. THAT's our point.

Our other point - which is equally valid - is that other airlines DO serve meals on shorter flights, so UA saying they can't serve a meal on a flight they used to serve a meal on is total BS - and has zero to do w/ the seats, which were the same size before when they served meals & after when they stopped.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:54 pm

We are talking a specific. UA used to serve meals on this flight. They no longer do - stating the reason is the flight is too short. Since they used to serve a full meal on that flight & even then a salad/sandwich meal, it means they could still serve a meal. They choose not to do so. So be it - but don't lie about it. THAT's our point.
I'm not disputing they physically could. But, in case you haven't noticed, inflation has gone up but airfares haven't. Something has to give in F.

MY point is that it is silly to compare UA to European airlines. EU airlines are facing the same competitive pressure to shed costs up front. They reduced their costs by ditching big seats. UA (and other American carriers) did it by ditching the meals.

Our other point - which is equally valid - is that other airlines DO serve meals on shorter flights, so UA saying they can't serve a meal on a flight they used to serve a meal on is total BS - and has zero to do w/ the seats, which were the same size before when they served meals & after when they stopped.
Other than a couple of AA routes where they still serve meals on short flights, what US-based competitor does this?

Show me:

1) A competitive airfare market with a lot of LCCs (so that fares are low)
2) An airline that serves nice meals in C/Y on short flights
3) An airline that has big seats up front

I contend that you can only have 2 out of the 3. Complaining that UA doesn't serve meals on short flights anymore means you're advocating for either ditching 1) or 3).

Which is fine. But don't pretend there aren't tradeoffs involved.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by XLR26
I doubt that.
Well, that's what happen to UA after the bankruptcy.

Before the bankruptcy, all of those ORD-East coast business one flights serve full meals during meal time. There were two choice of meal for all domestic C flights.

If they don't cut cost on certain things, how can AA survive after the bankruptcy ?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 11:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Cheers.
Here's another problem with YOUR facts. United used to serve meals on nearly every flight they flew (if not every one at some point). Now they don't. Times change, carriers evolve, needs evolve and demands evolve. These days, United does not serve meals on flights of this length. Period. RDU-ORD is longer, no meal. PHX-SFO is longer, no meal. The list goes on and on. Of course they could serve a meal and just because others in ANOTHER CONTINENT do it does not meal they will or even should. Lufthansa and United have a completely different business model and passenger base.

I paid $13,000 for a Pontiac G6, I don't expect it to have all the features of a Mercedes C300 even though it certainly could.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:51 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CMK10

Cheers.
Here's another problem with YOUR facts. United used to serve meals on nearly every flight they flew (if not every one at some point). Now they don't. Times change, carriers evolve, needs evolve and demands evolve. These days, United does not serve meals on flights of this length. Period. RDU-ORD is longer, no meal. PHX-SFO is longer, no meal. The list goes on and on. Of course they could serve a meal and just because others in ANOTHER CONTINENT do it does not meal they will or even should. . . .
No, actually, SkiAdCock acknowledges your point. In the post that you quoted, she actually says " Since they used to serve a full meal on that flight & even then a salad/sandwich meal, it means they could still serve a meal. They choose not to do so. So be it - but don't lie about it. THAT's our point."

If you read back far enough, SkiAdCock was originally replying to someone who literally said the flight was too short for meal service to be possible.

Guy, you'll barely be in the air an hour and half, even less coming back to Dulles. There's no time on short flights like that for a meal service. I don't fly the route that often these days, but I can't remember getting a plate of anything on that route in years.
So, her basic point (before other people started injecting stuff about seat size, etc.) was that that statement was not true.

The poster then "clarified" that it used to be possible for US carriers to serve a meal on ORD-IAD, but that it is no longer possible, because of an increase in the average age of US flight attendants (and, apparently, Euro flight attendants don't age?):

As far as US airlines, is there time? Sure, there used to be. Before your average FA age crept well over 50 years old, it was common. Today, I haven't seen a real meal service on a short flight in several years. The excuse I get is "security" or some such crap.

You can say it's to cut back, but how much does a meal cost the airline? A few bucks? It's simply a sign that good service is not high on the list of things a US airline provides anymore. A cheap ticket is what you pay for and it's what you get, and it's people who pay for Y tickets or paid F and C who get reamed.
So, SkiAdCock replied to state her belief that the cutting of meal service on this route was to cut costs, and was not because UA FAs are now too old to serve meals on short flights.

And now SkiAdCock is being criticized by a bunch of people for statements/viewpoints that are not even hers. Her actual point was narrowly tailored, and IMO, entirely reasonable. Her point is actually completely compatible with your statement that "Of course they could serve a meal and just because others in ANOTHER CONTINENT do it does not meal they will or even should."

Last edited by EsquireFlyer; Jan 13, 2012 at 10:59 pm
Old Jan 14, 2012, 7:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer

And now SkiAdCock is being criticized by a bunch of people for statements/viewpoints that are not even hers. Her actual point was narrowly tailored, and IMO, entirely reasonable. Her point is actually completely compatible with your statement that "Of course they could serve a meal and just because others in ANOTHER CONTINENT do it does not meal they will or even should."
Well in that case, I apologize.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Gulf Air passes out small sandwiches and water/oj before you even take off on their DMM-BAH and vice versa flight which is 15-20 minutes in the air. They collect all the trash before you even take off!
Old Apr 30, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: AA PLT
Did I just screw w/ my bf's GPU's?

Flying ORD-IAD-ORD this week -- used my 1K bf's last two Regional (?) upgrades as I need to work but I also expected a light snack as I'll be rushing to the airport both ways.

Do u think I should I cancel the upgrades as this sounds like a poor use of them, esp on the return since I won't have so much work to do for the return segment and hence, my comfort, power port, and hydration are less critical.

Please advise, I usually fly AA.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by fishee
Flying ORD-IAD-ORD this week -- used my 1K bf's last two Regional (?) upgrades as I need to work but I also expected a light snack as I'll be rushing to the airport both ways.

Do u think I should I cancel the upgrades as this sounds like a poor use of them, esp on the return since I won't have so much work to do for the return segment and hence, my comfort, power port, and hydration are less critical.

Please advise, I usually fly AA.
Unless it is expiring very soon and you or him have no plans to travel on UA anytime soon, cancel it.

Before 10am it is a warm scone, after 10am it is snack basket. (pop chips, kit kat, bananas, unsalted nuts)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Is there absolutely any difference in service between three-class F and three-class J/two-class F on this route?

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.