Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Forgive me, I'm new here. Is this airline for real?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW

Short, bulleted tale from a new UA flyer (matched 1k from DL):

- Scheduled for 7:00a departure ORD-STL on UA, operated by Trans States.

- At 6:45a, the ERJ hasn't boarded yet, there's nobody at C7, and the next flight is posted on the screen.

- I know something's up, so I check the departures board, and see that my flight has been delayed to 9:45a.

- I call the 1K line to be placed on the standby list for the 8:15a flight. The powerless agent is unable to do this, and redirects me to a supervisor who happily places me on the list.

- Head over to C1 for the 8:15a flight, of course, I don't see my name on the standby list.

- Call the 1K line again, they say that they're unable to do this, the supervisor I spoke to was wrong, and I need to go to the counter. Of course... there's nobody at C1 either.

- I walk to the C-concourse customer service center; they place me on the list and I miss it anyway.

- At this point, I say screw it, it's just a day trip and I can be more productive in the office vs. waiting for a flight that will probably never leave. I call the 1K line, and ask for my ticket to be refunded. They say I need to go to the website and "un-check-in" before my ticket can be refunded. I plead ignorance on how to do this (which is actually the truth) and the agent places me on hold for 10 minutes while tracking down a web process resource to un-check-me in (un-check-in me?).

Again, forgive me, I'm new here... but is this the way UA operates? I'm familiar enough with poor operations at regional carriers, but are the RSAs completely powerless when it comes to simple tasks like placing pax on standby lists, removing them from checkin lists, and the like?

I'm venting a bit, but this was an incredibly frustrating experience and I don't want it replicated in the future. Talk me back onto the bandwagon (and away from the bAAndwAAgon).
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
Originally Posted by 318i

- At 6:45a, the ERJ hasn't boarded yet, there's nobody at C7, and the next flight is posted on the screen.

- I know something's up, so I check the departures board, and see that my flight has been delayed to 9:45a.

- I call the 1K line to be placed on the standby list for the 8:15a flight. The powerless agent is unable to do this, and redirects me to a supervisor who happily places me on the list.

- Head over to C1 for the 8:15a flight, of course, I don't see my name on the standby list.

- Call the 1K line again, they say that they're unable to do this, the supervisor I spoke to was wrong, and I need to go to the counter. Of course... there's nobody at C1 either.

- I walk to the C-concourse customer service center; they place me on the list and I miss it anyway.

- At this point, I say screw it, it's just a day trip and I can be more productive in the office vs. waiting for a flight that will probably never leave. I call the 1K line, and ask for my ticket to be refunded. They say I need to go to the website and "un-check-in" before my ticket can be refunded. I plead ignorance on how to do this (which is actually the truth) and the agent places me on hold for 10 minutes while tracking down a web process resource to un-check-me in (un-check-in me?).

Again, forgive me, I'm new here... but is this the way UA operates? I'm familiar enough with poor operations at regional carriers, but are the RSAs completely powerless when it comes to simple tasks like placing pax on standby lists, removing them from checkin lists, and the like?

I'm venting a bit, but this was an incredibly frustrating experience and I don't want it replicated in the future. Talk me back onto the bandwagon (and away from the bAAndwAAgon).
Your experiences are very similar to mine. I have my profile setup for emails when my flights have an "Easy Update" (translation, your day is about to suck) so I often know my flight has been delayed or cancelled. Be careful with the regional operators for UA, they are the lowest bidder and often have poorly maintained aircraft. 80% of the flights I book, take off ontime or at all. 20% of my flights have some kind of mechanical delay or cancellation. That is the UA way.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:11 am

Perhaps the 1K line has operational problems when dealing with regional carriers. Their computers may not talk to each other.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
operated by Trans States.
I try to avoid anything that says operated by XXX

I don't think that's a fair reflection on UA, and certainly not a good representation of service on UA metal.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by Akulashark
Your experiences are very similar to mine. I have my profile setup for emails when my flights have an "Easy Update" (translation, your day is about to suck) so I often know my flight has been delayed or cancelled. Be careful with the regional operators for UA, they are the lowest bidder and often have poorly maintained aircraft. 80% of the flights I book, take off ontime or at all. 20% of my flights have some kind of mechanical delay or cancellation. That is the UA way.
I mentioned in another thread around the regionals and communication with mainline UA:

The regional can know up to several hours before departure that the plane will be late (on its internal site). UA on its easy update or website will show it on-time even up to 1 hour before its scheduled departure (when the plane hasn't even left its previous destination to take you to XYZ).... frustrating, I know.

The best way to avoid this is (and you can't do this everywhere), try to see where the plane is coming from via the united.com site looking at departure/arrivals gate to piece the planes routing for the day.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:46 am

Simple question... why not talk to the gate agent? They have the most up to date information on that particular flight and control to move you around. Why bother calling a remote call center or walking all the way to customer service?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:02 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
...there's nobody at C7
Of course... there's nobody at C1 either.
Originally Posted by GTHCGTH
Simple question... why not talk to the gate agent? They have the most up to date information on that particular flight and control to move you around. Why bother calling a remote call center or walking all the way to customer service?
Did you read the OP? Hard to speak with a non-existent GA.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Did you read the OP? Hard to speak with a non-existent GA.
So go find one somewhere else. There's customer service agents everywhere, one of them is bound to help that 1K. If the flight is under airport control I'm not sure if the 1K line can add people to the standby list. They can confirm you on flights if need be though.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by nevansm
So go find one somewhere else. There's customer service agents everywhere, one of them is bound to help that 1K.
Which is what the OP did.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nevansm
So go find one somewhere else. There's customer service agents everywhere, one of them is bound to help that 1K. If the flight is under airport control I'm not sure if the 1K line can add people to the standby list. They can confirm you on flights if need be though.
That has not been my experience. I had a very similar experience at LAX, which resulted in me not even getting placed on the standby list because there were no agents to be found anywhere in the terminal who did not have a non-moving 20 person line in front of them. OP, yes, this is typical for UA.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA PLT
Here's my advice (if you want to continue playing the UA/CO game...)

Read up on all the tricks we've posted here and be prepared to fend for yourself (even as a 1K) during irregular ops

Stay away from UA Express whenever possible

If you don't like what you hear from an agent, immediately hang up and call back. Eventually you may end up at the HNL call center, which has the best reps.

Good luck.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Wow, I figured this was just a bad day vs. SOP.

To add a little more context, this was a regional crew scheduling issue -- right before the phantom delay, the GA for the flight to Ottawa (across the concourse at C6) made an announcement that "our flight attendant and first officer have arrived, but they believe they're supposed to go to St. Louis. We'll get this sorted out, and get back to you right away." That was the first indication that this was going to go awry.

My original flight eventually cancelled, after being delayed further to 10:25... glad I chose to head into the office.

As a wonderful finale to this, I shot UA a quick e-mail that was more or less a cut & paste of my OP.

Their response:

Hello,

We have received your email and are working to respond as quickly as possible. Our current response time is 10 days.

Sincerely,
United Airlines Customer Relations

/ugh
Old Jul 26, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
did you email [email protected] or use another email address?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Regarding being un-checked-in - RESERVATIONS agents cannot do this for you. You can do it yourself or you have to talk to the Web service center agents. 1K agents will bridge on the Web service center folks. This is a limitation in which systems they have available - so don't hate on the res folks for this.

And it is true, you can't be confirmed on another flight when you're checked in for one already - so they did have to do that first.

Use that knowledge to your advantage in the future. If you can't un-check-in yourself, go to a kiosk with a phone and pick it up - the person on the other end can take you off a flight, then you can use the kiosk to rebook yourself/put yourself on standby - or at that point you can call 1K and get confirmed on something else.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:29 pm

UAX stinks

Please complain to United, maybe one day they'll listen.

AD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.