Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAL pvg->ord in F

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Well, in defense of the OP, you don't have a lot of choice getting in and out of PVG non-stop from the Northeast US, and I bet you will get similar attitudes on all US union airlines.

Quite frankly when you have people who cannot lose their jobs due to poor attitude/service and have an entitlement to keep their job due to seniority, you will see service and attitude continue to degrade. They have no incentive to provide the best service in order to keep their job at their salary level. Unfortunately, the best service is with those overseas airlines that don't have the union restrictions and the employees are fighting to be the best they can be and keep their jobs.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dmodemd
Well, in defense of the OP, you don't have a lot of choice getting in and out of PVG non-stop from the Northeast US, and I bet you will get similar attitudes on all US union airlines.

Quite frankly when you have people who cannot lose their jobs due to poor attitude/service and have an entitlement to keep their job due to seniority, you will see service and attitude continue to degrade. They have no incentive to provide the best service in order to keep their job at their salary level. Unfortunately, the best service is with those overseas airlines that don't have the union restrictions and the employees are fighting to be the best they can be and keep their jobs.
basically unless some reform happens in the union there will be nothing done, correct?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by absolu7
[snip]

i felt like my grandma is serving me an appetizer. 3 flight attendants, all bulky and nearing 65. i was afraid to ask for an extra drink because i thought 1 of them will break a hip carrying it to me.. in case of emergency NONE of them would be able to assist, thats my take on it.. mid-flight one of them comes up and says "do you want anything?" my take on that is with verbage like that .. i wont want anything. not pleasant, not kind, just come in, do their work and get out.. ready for retirement ladies. time to get out!

for a 12K ticket id expect atleast a bit more friendliness...
I, for one, really liked it when my grandma served me meals back when she was alive. Very fond memories as a kid of travelling MEL->AKL->HNL->LAX->ORD->CAK and enjoying a home cooked American meal upon arrival.

For $12k (ouch!) you might try flying one of the Asian carriers. There are plenty of Star Alliance carriers that can you get in and out of PVG and some of them will have stewardesses, er, flight attendants, more to your "liking". I personally have found that the age of F/As has little bearing on their attitude and level of service.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

key-word, non-stop. my options limited
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by absolu7
basically unless some reform happens in the union there will be nothing done, correct?
For starters one should not mix up the issue of poor service and older employees in order to gain any credibility with management, unions, judges or anyone else. The way you wrote your OP, it comes across as full of bigotry and age discrimination. Unfortunately stupid (I really can't find a better word) comments of that nature completely discredit any valid concerns and complaints about service that would perhaps lead to some changes.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Both my FAs in LX F today were probably 55+. Sharp as a tack and super friendly. Just as great as I had in GRU-ORD UA F a few weeks back.

Many might have different POVs about EWR crews...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Both my FAs in LX F today were probably 55+. Sharp as a tack and super friendly.
55+ is fine - in fact, I'm one myself! But some of the FA's appear to be pushing 75, in fact I was sitting next to a (younger) FA on a recent flight, and I think she said something to the effect that UA had at least one FA over 80 - is this possible?

Now really, I think I'm tolerant of workers of all ages, but shouldn't there be a limit - for safety reasons if nothing else? Is it unreasonable to require mandatory retirement at 65 or 70 or something? I seriously doubt that the oldest ones can physically perform what they need to do at 80+.

Even leaving unions out for a second, isn't it healthier to mix older and younger FA's on all flights, rather than have the ones that have been working for UA for 30+ years all be on the same flights (ie to Europe and other desirable destinations). The bidding/seniority system needs a shake-up in my opinion, or the soft product will never improve.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StingWest
55+ is fine - in fact, I'm one myself! But some of the FA's appear to be pushing 75, in fact I was sitting next to a (younger) FA on a recent flight, and I think she said something to the effect that UA had at least one FA over 80 - is this possible?

Now really, I think I'm tolerant of workers of all ages, but shouldn't there be a limit - for safety reasons if nothing else? Is it unreasonable to require mandatory retirement at 65 or 70 or something? I seriously doubt that the oldest ones can physically perform what they need to do at 80+.

Even leaving unions out for a second, isn't it healthier to mix older and younger FA's on all flights, rather than have the ones that have been working for UA for 30+ years all be on the same flights (ie to Europe and other desirable destinations). The bidding/seniority system needs a shake-up in my opinion, or the soft product will never improve.
the senior citizens were serving F, while 30-50 or whatever were in coach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.