UAL pvg->ord in F

 
Old Jul 7, 11, 4:14 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 129
UAL pvg->ord in F

i take this trip once a month
ewr->pvg in b/f on CO and pvg->ord in F..

what can i say, b/f is simply a pleasure to fly. ive tried most of the menu they got, its delicious food for what it is and flight attendants (ewr crew) are always a pleasure to be around, really like their job and do it well!

on the way back , its like senior citizens convention in first.. i felt like my grandma is serving me an appetizer. 3 flight attendants, all bulky and nearing 65. i was afraid to ask for an extra drink because i thought 1 of them will break a hip carrying it to me.. in case of emergency NONE of them would be able to assist, thats my take on it.. mid-flight one of them comes up and says "do you want anything?" my take on that is with verbage like that .. i wont want anything. not pleasant, not kind, just come in, do their work and get out.. ready for retirement ladies. time to get out!

for a 12K ticket id expect atleast a bit more friendliness...
absolu7 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 4:33 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kansas City Metro | MCI
Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Posts: 20,275
And if I were the FA, I'd not want to serve a passenger with that type of attitude. While some of the more senior FAs may not provide as much service, as somebody in their thirties, there is no need to be condescending.
FriendlySkies is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 4:41 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 129
i act proffesional while on the flight, lets not go there. i dont offer them attitude. but their smirks and attitude of simply not wanting to be there, you can kind of feel. thats all.
absolu7 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 5:08 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1A
Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Posts: 2,963
Originally Posted by absolu7 View Post
i act proffesional while on the flight, lets not go there. i dont offer them attitude. but their smirks and attitude of simply not wanting to be there, you can kind of feel. thats all.
I can understand your position.

On a recent flight in F from SFO to NRT, I had the mid flight F FA "accuse" me of coming from the C cabin into F to ask for a Coke Zero. The conversation went something like this:

Me: "Hi, may I please have a Coke Zero?" (Note, I had to get up to ask as after 3 call button rings unanswered, I figured getting up was the only option.)

FA: "Aren't your from 'there'?" (*pointing to C cabin*)

Me: "Um, I'm in 1A"

FA: "What did you want?"

Me: "Coke Zero please or Diet Coke, whichever you have."

FA: "Both are artificial sweetners, people shouldn't drink that."

* I am NOT making this up - at this point I was at a loss for words and simply returned to my seat. She brought over a Coke Zero a few minutes later without a word. *

Yes, for what we pay for F tickets TPAC or TATL especially, I would expect at least a courteous attitude and something more professional than what I experienced. I don't give a damn how old an FA is or how strong they are physically, but I do expect a reasonable level of service and a kind attitude, so long as I'm acting in a courteous manner as well.

Needless to say, I did email 1KVoice some feedback and they promised to take it up with the FA.
ainternational is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 5:46 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: rdu and nyc
Programs: US silver, DL exGM, UA ex1K (now GM), B6, WN, AA
Posts: 125
My absolute favorite Trans-Pacific Flight attendent...

is STILL on united. She was trained by Pan Am, before the Pacific division became United's savior routes. And, no, she still does not come across as grandmotherly, just one of the most gracious and friendly people that I've ever met....
afsinfo is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:13 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: New England
Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Posts: 239
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by absolu7
i take this trip once a month
ewr->pvg in b/f on CO and pvg->ord in F..

what can i say, b/f is simply a pleasure to fly. ive tried most of the menu they got, its delicious food for what it is and flight attendants (ewr crew) are always a pleasure to be around, really like their job and do it well!

on the way back , its like senior citizens convention in first.. i felt like my grandma is serving me an appetizer. 3 flight attendants, all bulky and nearing 65. i was afraid to ask for an extra drink because i thought 1 of them will break a hip carrying it to me.. in case of emergency NONE of them would be able to assist, thats my take on it.. mid-flight one of them comes up and says "do you want anything?" my take on that is with verbage like that .. i wont want anything. not pleasant, not kind, just come in, do their work and get out.. ready for retirement ladies. time to get out!

for a 12K ticket id expect atleast a bit more friendliness...
Read my mind...I've changed from ORD <>PVG to EWR<>PVG since UA+CO. The food is better, the b/f is flat ... I make the most before UA completely taking over
HowieG is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 6:35 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: NYC (+LHR+HKG+SFO mostly)
Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, SPG Ambassador & Lifetime Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Prez, AVIS 1st, Amtrak Select
Posts: 3,172
Hard to summon sympathy for someone who is dissatisfied with a product or experience and continues to pay for it, complaining that it's consistently dissatisfying to them.
EnvoyBoy is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 7:09 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Incredible! The OP has been pouring $144k down the drain every year and kept on doing that!

I, on the other hand, enjoyed the service by the grandpop and mom so much on the SFO-PVG flight in F last month and wish I can do it again soon. :-)
lax2010 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 7:26 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Indianapolis
Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Posts: 7,130
Here is the real bad thing they all stand up front like an old hen party, and keep you awake....when you wanted a lie flat to sleep....

Seniority,
satman40 is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 7:53 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SDF
Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Posts: 13,909
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy View Post
Hard to summon sympathy for someone who is dissatisfied with a product or experience and continues to pay for it, complaining that it's consistently dissatisfying to them.
exactly... why keep paying?

And as for the safety aspect - these flight attendants are trained like everyone else is. If they couldn't evacuate they wouldn't be there. (And I'd rather have a 60+ person in charge of an evacuation than an 18 y/o, based on experience alone)
LHR/MEL/Europe FF is online now  
Old Jul 7, 11, 9:37 pm
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: CT/NY
Programs: UA Gold/MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 4,663
Some of my best flights are staffed with these so-called grandmothers. They know what service should be like, and certain better than some of the 20 year old who could care less about service.
PTahCha is offline  
Old Jul 7, 11, 9:39 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by ainternational View Post
FA: "Both are artificial sweetners, people shouldn't drink that."
I've been on the receiving end of a lecture like that from a FA once in Asia. Of course, the FA was able to do it because she was my cousin. Note to self: when I want to eat/drink unhealthy stuff, don't do it on her flights. Didn't know she was working the flight until boarding when I saw her. I don't keep track of her work schedule and not sure if her carrier gives buddy passes.
bniu is offline  
Old Jul 8, 11, 12:34 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Houston
Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 11,328
Originally Posted by PTahCha View Post
Some of my best flights are staffed with these so-called grandmothers. They know what service should be like
Shame they don't deliver it!
mduell is offline  
Old Jul 8, 11, 9:04 am
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF View Post
exactly... why keep paying?

And as for the safety aspect - these flight attendants are trained like everyone else is. If they couldn't evacuate they wouldn't be there. (And I'd rather have a 60+ person in charge of an evacuation than an 18 y/o, based on experience alone)
who said it would be 18 yr old..
on co it was a 30some yr old that knew exactly whats going on, sharp.
absolu7 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 11, 10:01 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Posts: 439
Originally Posted by absolu7 View Post
who said it would be 18 yr old..
on co it was a 30some yr old that knew exactly whats going on, sharp.
+1, also I doubt there is a single 18 yr old FA with UA. The lowest age you'd probably find on a non-regional would be early 20s.
IADtoWhere is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: