Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance for elite companions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2011, 3:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cblaisd
To clarify:

a) As a 1P, I get 3 bags of <70 pounds each?

b) My non-status companion on the same PNR gets 2 bags at <50 pounds each?

The outbound is on UA metal.

The return is on CO metal -- does that fact change anything for the return?
At checkin for UA flight (UA rules) the answers are Yes and Yes
At checkin for CO flight (CO rules) the answers are Yes and Yes
I am unclear if the CO companion allowance in pratice is 2x50 or higher -- I can confirm the UA compnanion allowance is capped at 2x50
Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:52 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you!
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
Please update post merger

From the website:
Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches.

Co-travellers on the same PNR are not mentioned. My SIL tried calling and found the CSR "absolutely unhelpful and rude, too."

Same allowances? 3x70# for the PE/*G traveller and 2x50# for nonelite travellers on the same PNR?

Thanks, Jim
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:22 pm

Bump

No experiences with baggage for elites and nonelites on the same PNR post merger?

Jim
Old Jun 29, 2012, 8:57 pm

No experience here but see below:

http://www.united.com/cms/en-us/trav...edBaggage.aspx

Baggage service charge exceptions
Some customers are exempt from certain checked baggage charges. Select “Baggage Service Charge Exceptions” above to view a chart with more details.

<chart>

Customers traveling with MileagePlus Premier members or dependents traveling with active U.S. military personnel are also exempt from baggage service charges as indicated above, as long as they are traveling in the same reservation. This exemption will not apply to group reservations that include 10 or more customers.
Old Jul 1, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA, HH Silver, MR Platinum
Recent experience traveling BUF-SIN in Y with my wife and two kids (all three on a separate PNR), none of whom have status: Asked the 1K CSR about baggage allowances; she told me they should all get the 1K allowance as long as we all checked in together. At check-in, we checked 8 bags: 3 for myself, 5 others distributed between my wife and the two kids. Absolutely no problems and no baggage fees required.

Results were similar checking in on the same PNR at SIN for the outbound journey. (The reservations were split due to irrops en route.)
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:36 pm

Thanks for the eyes and replies. As they say YMMV.

On the outbound to USA portion 'the computer' only allowed the non elite companions on the same PNR one bag.

Will def have a printout of the baggage exception page from edcho.

Thanks, Jim
Old Jan 7, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm looking for an update for the baggage policy for an upcoming trip involving skiing (lots of large, heavy gear to be checked). The link provided by edcho has changed and no longer has the language indicated. Instead, there's only a calculator which does not have "companion" for any of the choices. Thanks!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmr12
I'm looking for an update for the baggage policy for an upcoming trip involving skiing (lots of large, heavy gear to be checked). ...
a general collection of baggage policy links including a link on "excess baggage"
and specifically for Sports equipment

also see Changed bag rules and optional services
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:38 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
None of which discusses folks booked on the same PNR as a 1K or Gold member unfortunately.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by bmr12
None of which discusses folks booked on the same PNR as a 1K or Gold member unfortunately.
Didn't mention that in the original question but it is there. Everyone on the elite's PNR gets the same bag waiver as mentioned on the echecked bag page.

Star Alliance® Gold members, including MileagePlus® Premier® Gold, Premier Platinum and Premier 1K® members are allowed to check up to three bags, each with a maximum weight of 70 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. MileagePlus Premier Silver and Star Alliance Silver members are allowed one checked bag with a maximum weight of 50 pounds and a maximum outside dimension of 62 linear inches. The benefits listed above apply to up to nine companions traveling on the same reservation as a Premier member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.