Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Upgrades on International Flights for Premier Execs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and new to international flights. I'm going to TPE from LAX in a couple of weeks and noticed that both Business, First and Economy Plus seating is very empty. As a premier exec, is there any chance UA will hand out a free upgrade to Business class if there are plenty of seats open in Business and First the day before or day of?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:37 pm

Nope, unless you use SWU or miles. No freebie
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:39 pm

Programs: United 1K
Only if all of economy is full, and they need to accomodate extra economy passengers by moving some passengers up to biz. Complimentary upgrades are a thing of the past on the *new* UA. Sorry.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by lightm
Only if all of economy is full, and they need to accomodate extra economy passengers by moving some passengers up to biz. Complimentary upgrades are a thing of the past on the *new* UA. Sorry.
"Now" and the "*new* UA"? How is this new, and what makes it different than the old UA?
Old Jun 7, 2011, 9:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks much for the quick replies...that's what I figured. There's not even an offer online for an upgrade when I look at the seating chart which is interesting. Is it best to wait the day of the flight at the gate to get the best price for an upgrade?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:21 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimmyinthelaw52
Thanks much for the quick replies...that's what I figured. There's not even an offer online for an upgrade when I look at the seating chart which is interesting. Is it best to wait the day of the flight at the gate to get the best price for an upgrade?

Thanks again!
That's likely to be the only day you'll get a price for an upgrade, and even that isn't guaranteed! And welcome to FT, Jimmy!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply...great forum!
Old Jun 8, 2011, 12:03 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
If an upgrade offer is made available for cash, this thread has been used by FlyerTalk members for discussion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...1-edition.html
Old Jun 8, 2011, 6:55 am

One other welcoming piece of advice is to never trust the seat maps to gauge availability, which are inaccurate for a number of reasons.

The best bet is to watch at airport for potential cash upgrade day of travel.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:21 am

Programs: UA: 1K, CO: Plat, DL: Elite
Originally Posted by GTHCGTH
One other welcoming piece of advice is to never trust the seat maps to gauge availability, which are inaccurate for a number of reasons.
Is this true in C and F? If so, why? Do people book C/F tix and not get a seat until check-in time?

I can understand why seat maps in Y are unrealible

thanks
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:40 am

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RichFisher
Is this true in C and F? If so, why? Do people book C/F tix and not get a seat until check-in time?

thanks
Yes very much so, my LHR-ORD flight a few weeks ago showed all zeros in C and only 6 out of 26 assigned up until 3 days before departure...needless to say ended up full and my SWU never cleared
Old Jun 8, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by RichFisher

thanks
my theory is that TA's don't bother to assign seats for corp travel
Old Jun 8, 2011, 11:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That's likely to be the only day you'll get a price for an upgrade, and even that isn't guaranteed! And welcome to FT, Jimmy!
That indeed used to be the case: now I got the upgrade offers on 4 transpac flights from Asia ahead of time in a row!

The CO heart is starting to beat, I reckon.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by jimmyinthelaw52

Thanks again!
You should be able to put in for an upgrade using miles immediately, assuming you are actually ticketed (my employer's travel agent sometimes waits to ticket). If there's availability the upgrade will clear immediately; if not, it may clear a few days in advance or at boarding. That is, unless this is a fare that doesn't allow any type of upgrade (which I thought was rare).

If you can't figure out how to do this online call the MP line and ask them to do it. Do it before 6/15, when the price (in miles) goes up.

Originally Posted by mudba
my theory is that TA's don't bother to assign seats for corp travel
Question is why those travelers don't seek the assignment themselves.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 8, 2011 at 5:08 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 8, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I would be one of the happiest dudes alive if they let this happen. I frequently fly IAD to ACC and E and E+ are full while business is half empty. It is downright painful to walk by those seats that fully incline

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.