Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Upsell Offers For Bus./First Seating (At Purchase, OLCI, or Gate) 2011 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson

Well, the old thread did very well for almost five years and 2900+ posts,
as OP it was my one major hit, but anyway,
time to archive, so here we go from the beginning!

[Moderator note: The now closed, earlier thread is found here, for reference.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...olci-gate.html

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 5, 2011 at 12:24 am Reason: To add cite to archived thread.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Booked DEN-MCO r/t last week. Trip is 1/11-1/15, and was offered $275 to upgrade MCO-DEN.. I declined, as I have found that MCO is one of the easiest UDUs in the system.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:40 pm

United Biz class upsells

Does anybody know how this stuff works? For example, do they only offer these if there aren't enough people wanting to upgrade into C? I always seem to get an upsell offer going from SFO-PVG, but one would think the sheer volume of 1K's and 1P's on that flight would snap up all available C-class upgrade inventory (SWU's / RDM's).. just asking out of curiosity. Sorry if this has been asked before!
Old Jan 5, 2011, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Are you referring to the upsell while booking? I have only (and always) been offered the upsell when there is NC inventory currently available.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Same here - so if that is what you're referring to, in a way it's true. If lots of people want to upgrade, you won't have NC/NF availability. BTW this applies both to time of purchase and check-in (though it has been a LONG time since I was not in C/F with NC/NF>0 with UDUs).
Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:15 pm

hmm fair point - I'm talking about the upsell offers at check-in.

Actually, I suppose that leads me to another question. I usually see NC = 0 on SFO-PVG flights (my most frequent route - *frequent* being a relative term, of course).. United opens up inventory and upgrades people periodically before the flight, right? So if they are "oversubscribed" on upgrade requests, upsells then wouldn't be offered, is that correct? That's why I'm so curious as to why I keep getting the offers - I would just assume there are so many upgraders waiting in line already.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: CO PP, AA EXP, UA 1K, DL DIA
Originally Posted by kpbanana
hmm fair point - I'm talking about the upsell offers at check-in.

Actually, I suppose that leads me to another question. I usually see NC = 0 on SFO-PVG flights (my most frequent route - *frequent* being a relative term, of course).. United opens up inventory and upgrades people periodically before the flight, right? So if they are "oversubscribed" on upgrade requests, upsells then wouldn't be offered, is that correct? That's why I'm so curious as to why I keep getting the offers - I would just assume there are so many upgraders waiting in line already.
Not in my experience. Ive been on the upgrade list, checked in and was offered an upsell. I declined, checked in, went to the gate and was upgraded there.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
sfo/ord feb 3/8 upsells

flying on 752 (2-class) and E+>F was $300; currently NC7 or NC9
flying on 763 (new config 3-class) and E+>C was $300; currently NC1. My wife is booking a 2-PAX PNR and she got the 752 upsell but not the 763 upsell.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1K
Here's a weird one... offered only when not logged in

So I'm flying next week, United sends out a nice "Prepare for your upcoming flight..." email. This time I noticed that there is a 'seating options' to add 'premium seat' - I clicked through.

It asks for my reservation number and last name, showed the standard reservation screen with the "View Travel Options" button.
Clicking through that I see three options, "premium seating", "Award Accelerator", and "Trip Protector".
"Premium Seating" in my case was NRT-SEA for $689 to C from T-Fare.
(current XC=8 NC=9)

I decided I'll sit on it and see if it drops in price as I've seen it before.
So I closed all browser windows (essentially clear cookies)

Here's the weird part, half hour later I logged in via UAL.com with my MP#/Pass, view my reservation and clicked the "View Travel Options" button. However, it does NOT show "premium seating"

I logged out and tried through the email link, and there was premium seating again! So it looks like there may be a trigger for that "premium seating" option through the email link and not through the regular reservation log in using MP#/Pass.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Booked PS SFO-JFK r/t April 16-April 24, was offered upsell from Econ to Biz for $900. Declined and used CR1s which confirmed instantly.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Are you referring to the upsell while booking? I have only (and always) been offered the upsell when there is NC inventory currently available.
Yup. Booked flights to/from Europe and was offered round-trip C (from B fares) of circa $1600 at ticket purchase. I had selected these flights specifically because NC inventory was available. I thought 20,000 miles was a better deal than $1600...
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:09 pm

IAD-DME: $806 from Y (L class actually) to C in the travel options under "my reservations". Flight is in February. Any chance it will be offered for less at check-in?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by AntonS
IAD-DME: $806 from Y (L class actually) to C in the travel options under "my reservations". Flight is in February. Any chance it will be offered for less at check-in?
It's possible that the upsell amount will go down. I'd keep an eye on the amount, by checking the travel options once in a while.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K / HH Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Originally Posted by kpbanana
Does anybody know how this stuff works? For example, do they only offer these if there aren't enough people wanting to upgrade into C? I always seem to get an upsell offer going from SFO-PVG, but one would think the sheer volume of 1K's and 1P's on that flight would snap up all available C-class upgrade inventory (SWU's / RDM's).. just asking out of curiosity. Sorry if this has been asked before!
Really? How did your upsell (always) occur? At check in?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 5:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
It's possible that the upsell amount will go down. I'd keep an eye on the amount, by checking the travel options once in a while.
Have you seen buy-up offers appear in travel options after purchase??

I have not, and just checked a flight for next week that is XF5 NF5 (112 hours out) A320 and no buy offer (not that I would take it -- looks like an easy UDU).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.