Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can You Upgrade p.s. Flights Using UDU? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can You Upgrade p.s. Flights Using UDU? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by l'etoile
My last PS flights, which were both this week, have shown all 0s except in F (and all flights on those days showed the same). I didn't select a seat in C and ended up being the person op-up'd on one of the flights to make room for the few oversells. (The gate agent asked me first if I wanted F since many do prefer the C seats.)

They seem to be running these so they oversell by just enough that they can fill F from C to fit everyone in. For example, one flight was oversold by 4 in Y and 2 in C. They filled the six remaining seats in F to fit the oversells.

Last night's flight JFK-SFO had at least 13 1Ks in Y who did not clear the upgrade list, I was told.
Wow, and I thought anecdotal evidence says that p.s. has become much easier to upgrade for 1Ks. IT was easy for me too when I flew to JFK, but mine was Friday red-eye out and Saturday dinner flight back. I think, no matter what, the best strategy possible is only book if at least one, ideally both, way(s) confirmable at the time of booking.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Currently on my flight to JFK - sitting in 5B. Snagged the penultimate upgrade. When I got to the airport, I was #3 on the list, with 16 seats available. 30 minutes later I was #5 on the list with 5 seats available. 5 minutes later, 3 upgrades were handed out, and I was the second one.

Three FA rumors of the week so far:

1. p.s. is probably going to two-class (no surprise there)
2. there are changes in soft product for p.s. coming, and they're the sort that "Mr Smisek thinks you will like so you probably won't" (FA's words, accompanied by a finger pointing to the overhead monitor)
3. UDU is likely coming to p.s. with the switch to two class

Make of those whatever you will -- nothing that we haven't heard rumored already...
Old May 21, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
ps upgrades

I know udus don't work for ps flights but if there are empty seats in business or first do they ever give those to gs or 1ks or do they let them sit empty?
Old May 21, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Unless Y is overbooked, those seats remain empty.
Old May 21, 2011, 5:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
IME ithere is usually names remaining on the waitlist when the doors close. In 20+ flights over the past two years, I have never seen an empty seat in business (but have heard this does occansionally occur). People support upgrades with SWU/CR1/miles or UFC.

Even with people on the waitlist they will not bump folks to empty seats in F to make room for more business upgraders.
Old May 21, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IME ithere is usually names remaining on the waitlist when the doors close. In 20+ flights over the past two years, I have never seen an empty seat in business (but have heard this does occansionally occur). People support upgrades with SWU/CR1/miles or UFC.

Even with people on the waitlist they will not bump folks to empty seats in F to make room for more business upgraders.
Since the abolition of e500's I've had a number of flights with empty C seats on PS. However, it was never more than 2 seats that remained butt-less.... and never next to me.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:13 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Since the abolition of e500's I've had a number of flights with empty C seats on PS. However, it was never more than 2 seats that remained butt-less.... and never next to me.
Take a Saturday night redeye! I fly p.s. once a decade (this was a MR a few months ago). Not only did I have an empty seat next to me in the exit row, everyone had an empty next to them except for one or two groups of 2. There was only 1 passenger behind me in the rest of the C cabin. There were maybe a total of 8-9 people in C (including a very nice FTer I met).
Old May 21, 2011, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
Take a Saturday night redeye! I fly p.s. once a decade (this was a MR a few months ago). Not only did I have an empty seat next to me in the exit row, everyone had an empty next to them except for one or two groups of 2. There was only 1 passenger behind me in the rest of the C cabin. There were maybe a total of 8-9 people in C (including a very nice FTer I met).
In early May I took a Sat redeye exLAX and every seat was full. Having booked the flight 5 weeks in advance all of row 9 as well as 6 C,D were already taken at booking.

You were luckier than I.
Old May 21, 2011, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Like everyone says, C is always very full. The max number of empty seats I've seen is 1. This month I did two RT in F, and on 2/4 flights there was 1 empty F seat (and on 1 flight the empty seat was next to me! whee!). Redeyes also often go out full
Old May 21, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
C is full usually, but not always. Did quite a few JFK-SFO-JFK MRs in Jan/Feb (all on Saturdays) and had plenty of flights where number of people in C (including myself) could be counted on two hands.
Old May 21, 2011, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
C is full usually, but not always. Did quite a few JFK-SFO-JFK MRs in Jan/Feb (all on Saturdays) and had plenty of flights where number of people in C (including myself) could be counted on two hands.
Yeah I have had similar experiences to LAX. Once had the seat next to me in row 9 open. I had so much personal space I didn't know what to do
Old May 22, 2011, 9:00 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Past few legs LAX-JFK, I've taken the red-eye on Sat & Sun nights and I've seen it go both ways. Sometimes a few seats (1-4) remain open in C, and once they oversold and were offering a hotel room for the night, an upgrade to C on the early flight, and some e-certs ($200 or $400, I don't recall exactly)
Old May 22, 2011, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1P, SPG
Does UA make some NF space available in advance? I spot checked various dates in early 2012 and all NF = 0 with most flights having no one booked in NF. I thought NF was easier to come by than NC space.
Old May 22, 2011, 11:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Peetyrd
Does UA make some NF space available in advance? ....
usually has been

...I thought NF was easier to come by than NC space.
usually has been

but recently it appears Nx space is not regularly available until the weeks before flight time.
Old May 22, 2011, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Does UA make some NF space available in advance? I spot checked various dates in early 2012 and all NF = 0 with most flights having no one booked in NF. I thought NF was easier to come by than NC space.
F seats, if they are booked paid, are usually booked very close in, like maybe a week prior, sometimes even the day prior. Makes sense to hold award inventory back. Furthermore, empty seats in F create an opportunity to just oversell the J cabin and op-up when needed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.