Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Can You Upgrade p.s. Flights Using UDU? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2011, 8:54 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I'm flying on a P.S. flight from SFO to JFK on Friday. (first time) I've been waitlisted for a NC upgrade for the last month. I just checked to see the load. While it still shows C8,Z8,J8... the seat map only shows 2 available biz seats. First is still quite open though, with NF and XF space available.

On the day of flight, will UA upgrade some C passengers to F to make room? Or will they just fly out with empty F seats?

Hoping for the former.
Old May 4, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by jtn
I
On the day of flight, will UA upgrade some C passengers to F to make room?
you still might clear at the gate for lots of reasons.

I doubt if they will op-up people to F to make more room for other upgraders, but they would if they were oversold and needed to make room in C. And some people in C might be waiting for an upgrade to F.

-David
Old May 4, 2011, 9:57 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
...And some people in C might be waiting for an upgrade to F.

-David
Thanks. That's what I'm hoping too. But then realize that if the paid C passengers are indeed waiting for an upgrade to F, there wouldn't be any NF inventory left. But right now, it shows NF8.

Anyway, setting my expectation low for Friday.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
In my experience, UA will not upgrade C>F so pax in Y can upgrade to C. While it could still happen, I feel as though it is unlikely, unless they were oversold in Y, and needed to move people up to C.
Old May 4, 2011, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Originally Posted by jtn
I'm flying on a P.S. flight from SFO to JFK on Friday. (first time) I've been waitlisted for a NC upgrade for the last month. I just checked to see the load. While it still shows C8,Z8,J8... the seat map only shows 2 available biz seats. First is still quite open though, with NF and XF space available.

On the day of flight, will UA upgrade some C passengers to F to make room? Or will they just fly out with empty F seats?

Hoping for the former.
What's your fare basis? A premium fare doesn't hurt upgrade chances.
Old May 5, 2011, 6:25 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
United will not upgrade P.S. C --> F to accommodate Y --> C upgrade requests.

That being said, OP you may still clear.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jtn

Hoping for the former.
I see this all the time, where J > open seats with plenty of NF/XF. My impression is that IM routinely oversells C seats to the extent it believes F will not sell, which makes sense and is entirely different from giving C->F op-ups to make room for Y->C upgraders.
Old May 5, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jtn

Hoping for the former.
You're doing okay... I've been waitlisted for nearly 6 months with CR-1s on p.s. flights at the end of this month, and it looks like I've got no chance. Can't remember when I last failed to upgrade p.s., although to be fair, haven't flown it much in the last couple of years
Old May 7, 2011, 12:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Did you clear?

If this was UA440 4:09pm then it went out full in C and only 3 in F, and a bunch of people on the upgrade list.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:42 am

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Once I was sitting next to a GS member, she in 9A, me in 9B, and she told me that sometimes they will upgrade her to F, even though she prefers row 9.

That's the only instance I've heard of where someone got "bumped" C -> F without requested an upgrade.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
This is exactly why my next trip to NYC is not on UA PS - $730 was the cheapest Y RT on my dates/times of travel, for a probable chance of sitting in the back.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Phil Level
That's the only instance I've heard of where someone got "bumped" C -> F without requested an upgrade.
It usually happens when they overbook C.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: 1K MM
I was on the 2:06 ps flight yesterday (Friday), and the person in front of me at check in discovered that she had been upgraded from C to F. Still, there were 2 or 3 empty seats in F and everything else was fully booked.

Despite being a 1K for years, this was my first ps flight. Overall, C was a good experience, except that the wifi was to slow. I was trying to watch a live streaming NBA playoff game... You just can't have it all. Is there a best place to sit for reception on those flights?
Old May 7, 2011, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtn

Hoping for the former.
Thankfully, it's the latter.^
Old May 7, 2011, 4:11 pm
jtn
Original Poster

Originally Posted by djmp
If this was UA440 4:09pm then it went out full in C and only 3 in F, and a bunch of people on the upgrade list.
Yes, that was the flight and No, I didn't clear. When I inquired about the upgrade, the gate agent said C checked in full and that there were three F available. But they wouldn't upgrade C - F, to open up C space. But I was more than welcome to buy one of the remaining F seats. :P....

Last edited by jtn; May 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.