Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Please - IAD to BCN (sept-2011)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, US
Advice Please - IAD to BCN (sept-2011)

I am pretty comfortable booking domestically, but have an upcoming trip in early Sept-2011 (Mediterranean cruise) where we (2) need to fly IAD-BCN r/t.

- Do you recommend booking now or wait until we are closer to the departure date, historically speaking (I know oil prices are a wild card)?

- If I book on the UA website, but fly on their partner airlines (i.e., aer lingus, air canada, lufthansa, etc.) do we get any MP perks, upgrades, etc.?

- If MP perks are non-existent or limited on partner airlines when booking on the UA website, where or how to find the best fare?

- Are there any connection points to absolutely avoid (LHR, FRA, MAD, etc.)?

TIA,
Ken
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
No matter what airline you take, upgrades won't be a perk. You will have to use miles or swu's on UA or the UA/EI codeshare. *a partners allow mileage upgrades from Y/B/D/C fares, so long as you don't book as a codeshare. Must be processed with UA in advance. Same day upgrades on LH can be done with UA Swu's.

Earned miles depend on booking class!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:56 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Routing-wise, you have many choices.

IAD-FRA/MUC/BRU-BCN all give you UA metal for the TATL segment. I prefer MUC out of that lot given it is FAR easier to connect at than FRA, and the flight is a little longer (more shut-eye), but there are a lot less LH flights to BCN ex-MUC.

IAD-MAD-BCN doesn't have E+ for the TATL, but you can use a SWU on it just like it was UA metal (and IIRC, it counts as UA lifetime miles, etc.)

I also found that .bomb wasn't showing me anywhere near the full number of connections; when I called to book next week's BCN trip, the agent was offering connections in FRA which were far more attractive than what .bomb listed.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 1K
I highly recommend flying LH or UA for IAD-MUC-BCN. did the same routing from ORD and it was a breeze!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL GM, Avis First, Sixt Plat
If I were in your shoes I would fly WAS - EWR - BCN with CO. They don't have E+, but if you buy the ticket soon you should be able to book the emergency exit rows. Summer might be a different story, but upgrades shouldn't be very hard on this route (flew there twice this year, and there were empty seats in BF both times).

Before you buy any tickets you should use this to get your status matched on CO. It takes about a week for it to show up on the website and a few weeks for your kit to come in the mail. With your status matched you'll be able to book exit rows for free and enjoy all the other *G benefits.

Hope this helps.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:03 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
I agree with GiantVulture. You can use your status match and use miles/copay to upgrade and do the whole thing on UA/CO metal (possibly with exit row or bulkhead). Plus, the overnight segments ends at your final destination. *G doesn't really get you much on partner airlines besides lounge access IMO, unless you check a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.