Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Miles + copay upgrade didn't go through, vs free UDU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA:Plat, MR:GLD, HH:SLV

Hello FTers,

I couldn't find a post describing a similar situation, so I thought I'd ask.

I flew HKG-ORD-YUL on Thursday, with a W fare ticket. The HKG-ORD leg isn't elligible for UDU (guess what the "D" stands for :-)) but the ORD-YUL leg was, and at T-3 days the NF seat was confirmed, as usual.

Realizing I'd still be stuck in Y for 14+ hours between HKG-ORD, I went for a 25K miles + 450$ upgrade but it didn't go through. This type of upgrade normally applies to both segments, even if I really wanted it only for HKG-ORD. I feared that the system would retain my upgrade request (and keep the miles!) since the second segment showed NF anyway.

Now there's absolutely no way I'd pay 15K miles for NF on a 90min ORD-YUL flight with excellent UDU chances! I stopped by the check-in counter at ORD and the very kind lady there made phone calls, then said not to worry, the miles would be credited back once the system realized that I didn't get the upgrade. Indeed, the 25K that had originally been deducted (at request time) has been returned.

Problem is, I've now been hit with a 15K miles charge for a "OW UPGRADE N AMERICA-N AMERICA FROM ECON", which most likely happened because I flew NF to YUL. If UA had completely cancelled the upgrade request, this charge may not have happened but I would probably have lost my NF seat - despite the fact that UDU got it to me free in the first place.

Question is: How would you guys have done it? And what should I do now - wait a little more to see if that 15K miles will also be credited back in a few days, or call UA?

Thanks!

Last edited by Eracine; Apr 23, 2011 at 3:20 pm Reason: Removed typos
Old Apr 23, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by Eracine
Hello FTers,

I couldn't find a post describing a similar situation, so I thought I'd ask.

I flew HKG-ORD-YUL on Thursday, with a W fare ticket. The HKG-ORD leg isn't elligible for UDU (guess what the "D" stands for :-)) but the ORD-YUL leg was, and at T-3 days the NF seat was confirmed, as usual.

Realizing I'd still be stuck in Y for 14+ hours between HKG-ORD, I went for a 25K miles + 450$ upgrade but it didn't go through. This type of upgrade normally applies to both segments, even if I really wanted it only for HKG-ORD. I feared that the system would retain my upgrade request (and keep the miles!) since the second segment showed NF anyway.

Now there's absolutely no way I'd pay 15K miles for NF on a 90min ORD-YUL flight with excellent UDU chances! I stopped by the check-in counter at ORD and the very kind lady there made phone calls, then said not to worry, the miles would be credited back once the system realized that I didn't get the upgrade. Indeed, the 25K that had originally been deducted (at request time) has been returned.

Problem is, I've now been hit with a 15K miles charge for a "OW UPGRADE N AMERICA-N AMERICA FROM ECON", which most likely happened because I flew NF to YUL. If UA had completely cancelled the upgrade request, this charge may not have happened but I would probably have lost my NF seat - despite the fact that UDU got it to me free in the first place.

Question is: How would you guys have done it? And what should I do now - wait a little more to see if that 15K miles will also be credited back in a few days, or call UA?

Thanks,

Etienne.
Wait a few days to see if 15k credit post, if no, call UA.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
I had a similar issue and needed to call. I did not feel like the rep was understanding my concern, so I politely thanked them and called right back and got another rep who took care of it.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 7:44 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Odd. I had a semi-related incident earlier this month flying CDG-IAD-SEA. I actually didn't care about the upgrade on CDG-IAD, but I really wanted IAD-SEA, which I knew would be hard to get, especially with my gf tagging along. So I had to call in to ask if I could redeem miles just for that leg for the two of us. Still had to waitlist, but at least it put us ahead of the UDU system.

Fortunately, we got notice of our upgrade upon check in at CDG, but the debit never materialized. Given that it was a very full flight and I'm not 1K, I'm pretty sure we were given a miles upgrade, not a UDU, but I'm not complaining if I get to keep my 30K miles for the two of us. There seems to be a glitch of some sort when you only want to upgrade one portion of an international itinerary.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 8:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by felinaar
... Given that it was a very full flight and I'm not 1K, I'm pretty sure we were given a miles upgrade, not a UDU, ....
It seems to be the common wisdom on FT that once inside your UDU window, thee upgrade method (miles, CR1, UDU, ...) has no influence. The "method" gets you on the upgrade list but that is it. So some using CR1s, miles, ... withdraw that request once inside their window (with some risk to the second tie breaker -- time on the list).
Old Apr 27, 2011, 7:21 pm

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Am halfway through NRT-SIN-NRT. Used miles plus the Vig to upgrade. Was waitlisted on both. About a month before the NRT-SIN leg, I was notified that my upgrade cleared. Now am 3 1/2 days from the SIN-NRT leg and still waitlisted. There are 49 seats in Business. 28 are not assigned.

The miles were removed from my account when I requested the upgrade. The Vig was taken for the NRT-SIN once cleared. Not sure what they are waiting for as I doubt there will be a rush on 28 seats going to Tokyo!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by jaynyc
Am halfway through NRT-SIN-NRT. Used miles plus the Vig to upgrade. Was waitlisted on both. About a month before the NRT-SIN leg, I was notified that my upgrade cleared. Now am 3 1/2 days from the SIN-NRT leg and still waitlisted. There are 49 seats in Business. 28 are not assigned.

The miles were removed from my account when I requested the upgrade. The Vig was taken for the NRT-SIN once cleared. Not sure what they are waiting for as I doubt there will be a rush on 28 seats going to Tokyo!
Ok, I bite. What's a "Vig"? I fly this leg all the time but never "Vig". Should I "Vig"?
Old Apr 28, 2011, 1:43 am

Location: Scarsdale, NY USA; LT PLT AA; AA 3 mm (4 mm will never happen); Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA is clueless why I fly
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Ok, I bite. What's a "Vig"? I fly this leg all the time but never "Vig". Should I "Vig"?
Vig: a fee charged by a bookmaker for 'services'

Those who lend money charge a very high 'interest' rate. I equate the airline's copay as usury. Definition of usury: usury is commonly used to refer to the charging of unreasonable and excessive rates of interest
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Vig: a fee charged by a bookmaker for 'services'

Those who lend money charge a very high 'interest' rate. I equate the airline's copay as usury. Definition of usury: usury is commonly used to refer to the charging of unreasonable and excessive rates of interest
I think the term vig is being misused by the other poster here. It's not a vig. Vigs are needed by bookies to make money if all bets break even.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver

I've done NRT-SIN and v.v. a few times and the upgrades routinely clear late or at the gate, even for a 1k on a full Y fare

Plan on dancing at the gate
Old Apr 28, 2011, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I think the term vig is being misused by the other poster here. It's not a vig. Vigs are needed by bookies to make money if all bets break even.
It was a joke
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
I've done NRT-SIN and v.v. a few times and the upgrades routinely clear late or at the gate, even for a 1k on a full Y fare

Plan on dancing at the gate
It gets 'better.' Now am 48 hours away from departure. I have been taken OFF the upgrade waitlist. Only shows me confirmed in steerage. And UA wonders why I have severly cut down on my mileage with them.....
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Now am 48 hours away from departure. I have been taken OFF the upgrade waitlist. Only shows me confirmed in steerage.
Call. This often means you've cleared and united.com is just confused.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:44 pm

It gets 'better.' Now am 48 hours away from departure. I have been taken OFF the upgrade waitlist. Only shows me confirmed in steerage. And UA wonders why I have severly cut down on my mileage with them.....
This would be horrible.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This would be great.

Curious to find out.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Thanks for the advice! Called and that is exactly what happened. Once agent assigned me a seat, I went back online and United.com had me upgraded.

Thanks again!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.