Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Smisek comments today re service culture

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I think Smisek should be in politics, not trying to run an airline.

People seem to like listening to his speeches, and he says what people want to hear, but his ability to take action is questionable at best.
I agree with you.
I like the 1K voice (Customer Relations) before.
The problem always been solved within few days (I am not talking about
compensation). Now, I don't know how long can I get reply.
What is "service"? Ignore problem and not listen to customers?
I do wish the service will become better......
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
He's got the right idea, but I think he's completely delusional if he thinks he's going to achieve it with either PM FA group.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
But Channa the dollar sign to begin Smisek is many of their interpretation. The pretzel cut was salt in the wound and prob not worth the perception it created.

That's my take as well from talking with UA staff.

Initially, when the merger was closed, they were hopeful. Now there has been a marked deterioration in their hope.

[Repeatedly disruptive text deleted by moderator per Forum Announcement: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tors-444.html]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 14, 2011 at 8:33 pm Reason: Please see above.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
It may be anecdotal thinking, but there is plenty to suggest that which flight you are on makes a huge difference to how service is. SFO-LHR, SFO/LAX-SYD are a couple of notoriously difficult flights to grab for FAs (ie, senior staff always on these), and see difficulty as a result.
My primary international routes are SFO-LHR and back, and SFO-SIN and back (via both NRT and HKG). Over the last 3 years, perhaps slightly more, the *worst* service I've encountered in C on those routes has been good, and more often than not it's been excellent or exceptional - to the point where I connect to an SQ flight and still think that UA is right up there.

My domestic experiences have been a little more hit or miss, but even then while I've not had as much outstanding service, I still haven't experienced much, if any, poor service.

So for my money/experience, UA has been on the right track for the last few years in this regard, and long may it continue.

+1 to getting rid of the trays for premium cabin int'l meals though!
Old Mar 12, 2011, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Glenn Tilton was also popular in the first few years of his tenure. It was the canning of pensions in 2005 that really started the anti-Tilton bregade. $mi$ek will find himself in that position or even worse in time. The glamour of not having Tilton around hasn't completely worn off. Charlie Sheen could be the new CEO and they'd be "hopeful", too, because Tilton was hated so much.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club
Originally Posted by UAL awesome
Glenn Tilton was also popular in the first few years of his tenure. It was the canning of pensions in 2005 that really started the anti-Tilton bregade. $mi$ek will find himself in that position or even worse in time. The glamour of not having Tilton around hasn't completely worn off. Charlie Sheen could be the new CEO and they'd be "hopeful", too, because Tilton was hated so much.
Tilton really had no choice with the pensions unfortunately. It was pretty much default on the pensions or the whole ship went down. Not exactly a favorable position to be in for anyone.

And it remains to be seen how Smisek stacks up against Tilton.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If UA employees are consistently getting profit-sharing checks in the years to come, while the performance numbers stay up (leading to more $$$), I don't see them turning on their leadership. Cash and a well-run business go a long way to making employees happy.
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FreequentFlier
Tilton really had no choice with the pensions unfortunately. It was pretty much default on the pensions or the whole ship went down. Not exactly a favorable position to be in for anyone.

And it remains to be seen how Smisek stacks up against Tilton.
I'm not saying it didn't need to be done and I think Glenn didn't get the credit he deserved in a lot of things, but it still did nothing but damage their view on him.

Many CO employees do not like Smisek and didn't before the merger. He's new to the UA employees so they have no prior history with him, but give it time.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If UA employees are consistently getting profit-sharing checks in the years to come, while the performance numbers stay up (leading to more $$$), I don't see them turning on their leadership. Cash and a well-run business go a long way to making employees happy.
The frontline employees at United have been getting profit sharing checks for on-time performance for the last two years, yet the view on management never really changed.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 14, 2011 at 5:02 am Reason: merge
Old Mar 13, 2011, 11:38 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
No way, from day #1 (or close to it) he made his stance clear. It wasn't like he was the 1st choice to take the job, but no one with the credentials and experience in the industry would touch the top job at UA with a 10 foot pole. Any of the informed employees knew that his style was straight out of the Jack Welsh book. Both Jack and Glenn did what their legal requirements required them to do, to think of shareholder investments first and all else comes at that expense. It is what the law requires in that job.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The frontline employees at United have been getting profit sharing checks for on-time performance for the last two years, yet the view on management never really changed.
They've been getting performance bonuses for the last couple years, but not profit-sharing, because UA had no full year profit to share with employees in 2009. 2010 was the first profitable year since 2007, from what I can tell.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 9:42 pm

Programs: Too Many
Thank you OP for posting the summary. It is interesting to hear what the focus is for UACO moving forward. Personally, it is good to hear that it is service. UA has a proud tradition, and many good FAs who get pulled down by the bad apples. They need to come with a way to eliminate those FAs who do not want to focus on service.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 11:26 pm

I have to say that in my overwhelming experiences (including 150k of international miles last year) I have had extremely positive experiences. Occasionally, I have run into an "average" crew but nothing worse than BA or any other airline out there. I once flew on Delta in first and was completely underwhelmed by the very lazy and poor service. However, it is disheartening to always come on here and see the UA board devolve into a trashing of the airline. What is striking is that people on the DL, AA and CO boards are almost always positive about their airlines. Even when the do something basic, they are applauded, but in here, United can do something good and immediately it turns into a bashing for all of the other things they fail to do.

I understand that this site is about voicing opinions and getting various perspectives. This basic foundation is what attracted me to it in the first place and keeps me coming back, but honestly, I don't understand how a group of repeat flyers could constantly have such horrible experiences. I guess the adage applies - "first time, shame on them, second time, shame on you". As the FAs say upon landing, "you have a choice in airlines". Vote with your wallets.....
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:05 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ptc8329
I have to say that in my overwhelming experiences (including 150k of international miles last year) I have had extremely positive experiences. Occasionally, I have run into an "average" crew but nothing worse than BA or any other airline out there. I once flew on Delta in first and was completely underwhelmed by the very lazy and poor service. However, it is disheartening to always come on here and see the UA board devolve into a trashing of the airline. What is striking is that people on the DL, AA and CO boards are almost always positive about their airlines. Even when the do something basic, they are applauded, but in here, United can do something good and immediately it turns into a bashing for all of the other things they fail to do.

I understand that this site is about voicing opinions and getting various perspectives. This basic foundation is what attracted me to it in the first place and keeps me coming back, but honestly, I don't understand how a group of repeat flyers could constantly have such horrible experiences. I guess the adage applies - "first time, shame on them, second time, shame on you". As the FAs say upon landing, "you have a choice in airlines". Vote with your wallets.....
+1

Thank you for saying what few posters have the guts to say. The material on this site is one-third substantive (which is marvelous since finding out information from United is like waiting for white smoke after a pope dies), one-third rumor (which can be very helpful), and one-third opinion, and the opinion third regularly finds a way to devolve into excoriating United's service in some petty form or another (e.g., "the gate agent handed me my boarding pass in a brusque way. I want something for my troubles!") or blasting some policy that we don't like, e.g., the livery/logo change or problems with ual.com. I don't want to be trite and compare the situation of premium passengers who keep complaining but keep flying United to battered wife syndrome, but United's elite flyers keep coming back because they know they couldn't have it better on another domestic airline. (I mean, come on, unlimited domestic upgrades? really? those are totally undeserved.) A good chunk of the elites who post on here post comments that are oftentimes little more than whining. Here's a tip to posters, advice taken from the words of Elwood Blues, "Try not to be so negative all the time. Why don't you offer a little... constructive criticism?"
Old Mar 15, 2011, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by dieselbear
...I'm sitting here at SFO watching a UA GA berate an older pax for handing her the wrong BP.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It is so important for UA to stand for something in the marketplace and, at the moment, it stands for poor service.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
...get rid of 90% of the senior FA's. In F recently on a SFO-LHR-SFO trip, they knew all the tricks to avoid work and provide sloppy service... The passengers were there for the FA's convenience.
Originally Posted by dmodemd
...they were thinking about how to close the upper deck so they wouldn't have to work!
Originally Posted by BE-58
...service in international F has certainly gone downhill over the past 12 months... I was given a dirty look when I asked for a cup of coffee an hour before landing.
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
UA's FA service is letting the airline down... what a depressing bunch of FAs.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
My UA premium class international experience: 5% excellent, 10% good, 35% acceptable, 35% poor, 15% terrible.
... and that's why Smisek cannot succeed, and New UA won't change appreciably no matter what he does. The UA rank-and-file are like federal bureaucrats and Smisek's just another president. They were wrecking the company before he showed up, and they'll be wrecking the company long after he's cashiered.

It's laughable to imagine F ticket buyers (not upgraders) ever choosing UA over foreign competitors with proper service culture.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SaveTheTulip
+1

Thank you for saying what few posters have the guts to say. The material on this site is one-third substantive (which is marvelous since finding out information from United is like waiting for white smoke after a pope dies), one-third rumor (which can be very helpful), and one-third opinion, and the opinion third regularly finds a way to devolve into excoriating United's service in some petty form or another (e.g., "the gate agent handed me my boarding pass in a brusque way. I want something for my troubles!") or blasting some policy that we don't like, e.g., the livery/logo change or problems with ual.com. I don't want to be trite and compare the situation of premium passengers who keep complaining but keep flying United to battered wife syndrome, but United's elite flyers keep coming back because they know they couldn't have it better on another domestic airline. (I mean, come on, unlimited domestic upgrades? really? those are totally undeserved.) A good chunk of the elites who post on here post comments that are oftentimes little more than whining. Here's a tip to posters, advice taken from the words of Elwood Blues, "Try not to be so negative all the time. Why don't you offer a little... constructive criticism?"
Originally Posted by BearX220
... and that's why Smisek cannot succeed, and New UA won't change appreciably no matter what he does. The UA rank-and-file are like federal bureaucrats and Smisek's just another president. They were wrecking the company before he showed up, and they'll be wrecking the company long after he's cashiered.

It's laughable to imagine F ticket buyers (not upgraders) ever choosing UA over foreign competitors with proper service culture.
Can't help but shake my head at the juxtaposition of these two posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.