Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Award question: Does MPM always rule the routing one can choose ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

I have recently booked an Y award ticket with UA on SQ HND-SIN-HKG and return OZ HKG-ICN-NRT. I have this crazy routing as star awards between Japan and Hong Kong (south asia) require 40K instead of UA metal only 20K. Since UA doesn't fly NRT-HKG anymore so I don't have a choice, and I decided to maximze my experience with various *A partners in their Y cabins.

I had initially want to fly SQ's 380 one way or the other especially on the NRT-SIN or SIN-NRT leg, or even both legs NRT-SIN-HKG all on 380 but to no availability on the same day. However, with both legs on SQ I am quite satisfied. Initially my return was on SQ HKG-SIN then NH SIN-HKG, however, after I checked the dates, and the new configuration NH 763 wasn't operating on SIN-NRT the date I choose, so I decided for something else, as NH 763 current congifuration is just plain awful in Y, not to mention on a 7 hrs flight.

When I try to come up with SQ HKG-SIN-NRT/HND, availability is there as shown on ANA tool for both segments on same day. When I called, the agent said it is not available, so I was thinking perhaps starnet blocking ? I hanged up and call again, the other agent simply said it is over the MPM, she told me NRT-HKG's MPM is 2100 miles (can't remember exact miles, but it is around that). I questioned her as I had already had SQ HND-SIN-HKG on hold, how is that possible to book at all as it is also over the MPM. She put me on hold, then later when she came back she told me SQ has its own rules and allows flying to HKG from NRT connecting thru SIN on the outbound but not inbound.

Was what the agent told me is true at all ?

And now I wonder if TG NRT-BKK-HKG would permit one way or the other as well ? I have tried to book ORD-HKG before with TG or SQ on the return going thru BKK or SIN to NRT also on an award, was told over the MPM. Not sure if there is difference as this award start from Japan instead of US ?

P.S. I am not sure if this would be best posted on UA or star alliance board, if one feel one is better, please acknowledge the moderator to move.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Mar 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm
Old Mar 2, 2011, 4:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
As this is a specific UA question, I shall move it there.

Markie - Co-Mod *A
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
There is another thread about this already.

UA changed the rules on award travel recently. Previously, you had to abide by MPM UNLESS you were traveling on a "valid published route" by a Star carrier. Technically, HKG-SIN-TYO does not meet either rule, so it should have never been allowed.

However, I am a huge opponent of this change to MPM exclusively because it eliminates SO many award routes that were previously allowed (I don't think people quite realize how much this will impact non-US/Europe travel). So, if you are unhappy, do what I have done and write UA.

Oh, and your other routing (NRT-BKK-HKG) also breaks the MPM rule.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG

I hanged up and call again, the other agent simply said it is over the MPM, she told me NRT-HKG's MPM is 2100 miles (can't remember exact miles, but it is around that). I questioned her as I had already had SQ HND-SIN-HKG on hold, how is that possible to book at all as it is also over the MPM. She put me on hold, then later when she came back she told me SQ has its own rules and allows flying to HKG from NRT connecting thru SIN on the outbound but not inbound.

Was what the agent told me is true at all ?
She was correct. SQ publishes a fare with permitted routing TYO-SIN-HKG:
Code:
PUBLISHED RTG TYO-HKG/SQ3720/TAR-TGRG    EF-16JUL10 DIS-INDEF

/WITHIN THE EASTERN HEMISPHERE/
 1. TYO-SQ-SIN-SQ-HKG
So, this was permitted under the old MP award travel rules. Not anymore.

For the return, there is no SQ fare published, so it is not possible to go via SIN both under the old or new MP award travel rules.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by merlin
So, this was permitted under the old MP award travel rules. Not anymore.

For the return, there is no SQ fare published, so it is not possible to go via SIN both under the old or new MP award travel rules.
Do you think my routing would stick since it is under the old rules ? It had ticketed more than a week ago, no one called back saying it is not valid.

For the return, I originally had SQ HKG-SIN, then NH SIN-NRT, would that be permitted ? I changed afterwards as I don't want SIN-NRT to be on NH's old 763.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
A good discussion on the new routing rules in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...eb-2011-a.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA-Gold MM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Do you think my routing would stick since it is under the old rules ? It had ticketed more than a week ago, no one called back saying it is not valid.

For the return, I originally had SQ HKG-SIN, then NH SIN-NRT, would that be permitted ? I changed afterwards as I don't want SIN-NRT to be on NH's old 763.
I guess you were lucky in the first place to have that ticket issued. In my experience, once it's done you're pretty safe. Doubt that UA would cancel it due to the routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.