Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Change to *A Award routing rules (Effective 11 FEB 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA

Effective 11 February 2011 the steps for validating *A routing will be as follows:

Steps to Validate Routing for One Award:
*Outbound and return routings must be validated.
*MPM plus 15 percent is allowed on all awards.

Step 1
*Access the "Mileage Information" menu

*Enter all cities in one direction of travel from Origin to Destination.
**Include all connection/stopover points. (Do not activate "short display")

*Review the Mileage Information Table comparing CUM (Cumulative Ticketed Point Miles) to MPM (Maximum Permitted Miles).

*Check the bottom of "LVL" (level) column to determine if CUM is greater than MPM:
M = CUM does not exceed MPM
5M = CUM exceeds MPM by 5 percent
10M = CUM exceeds MPM by 10 percent
15M = CUM exceeds MPM by 15 percent
20M = CUM exceeds MPM by 20 percent
25M = CUM exceeds MPM by 25 percent
EXC = CUM exceeds MPM by over 25 percent

*Award Travel is valid up to 15M
Other changes:

Double-Open-Jaw trips will be allowed, and no "shortest-leg" rule for Single-Open-Jaw rule will apply for award travel.

Stopovers will be allowed on Round Trip or Open Jaw itineraries between two award regions. Stopovers will not be allowed on One Way awards or when travel is wholly within the same geographic region. Stopovers will be allowed in a third geographic region if it is not over the MPM plus 15 percent. Must use "Highest Mileage Award* if over the allowed MPM (0M).
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Stopovers will be allowed on Round Trip or Open Jaw itineraries between two award regions.
Stopover and open jaw on the same award? That's a ^ from me!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by IslandSkies
Effective 11 February 2011 the steps for validating *A routing will be as follows:
these look like changes we will like. ^
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:35 pm

where is the "like" button?

-David
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:35 pm
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
Sounds good. Now I'm wondering what are good examples of routing to take advantage of the stop-over + open-jaw and open-jaw x 2.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Wow no shortest leg rule... would be very useful for one way cruising ^
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks so much for this info - a 15% overage is great ^

IslandSkies, any chance we could get info on regions that can be crossed when going between two (e.g. NA to Japan must be via Pacific)?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
where is the "like" button?

-David

+1

Pleased with this change. Hope more of them are things that we want/like..
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Like!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: All opinions/interpretations expressed here are my own and are not officially sanctioned by UA
Originally Posted by Pingtung
Thanks so much for this info - a 15% overage is great ^

IslandSkies, any chance we could get info on regions that can be crossed when going between two (e.g. NA to Japan must be via Pacific)?
Should be okay as long as you're in the 15M band. Only thing is if it's a higher award region you pay higher miles. Example: Europe-Japan is 80k. But for Europe-Japan there is a published higher award for going through a third region set at 90k, so that is what you pay if going Europe-USA-Japan instead of going straight across. Not all region pairs (like USA-Japan) have these, so for those you just use the miles for the highest region pair on the routing. For example USA-Japan is 65k in economy. If you go USA via Europe to Japan you pay 80k.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

I do know that if any of you call tomorrow trying to book under the new rules, some are bound to get the agent who isn't paying attention to updates/briefings who will tell you that you can't do this. Tell them to look up the profile MPI/STAR AWARD ROUTING
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:02 pm

i hate to sound really dumb, but i have only the haziest understanding of what this means, but i am sure it is relevant to my next decision: last year, i booked an award ticket from sydney to hong kong, going via seoul in one direction and via bangkok in the other. syd-icn-hkg is 6448 miles, and hkg-bkk-syd is 5711. The shortest star route is on sq at 5495 but that is a forlorn hope.
My first question is: how does one ascertain the MPM?
My second question is: does this new rule override rules about traversing another region to get to destination?
Since the regions are now divided north asia, and south asia, if i want to use Asiana i have to go via North Asia to get to Hkg.
When i rang a couple of days ago they said i would have to take two awards, one to north asia, and then one north asia to south asia, which of course, is way too many miles.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cranford
i hate to sound really dumb, but i have only the haziest understanding of what this means, but i am sure it is relevant to my next decision: last year, i booked an award ticket from sydney to hong kong, going via seoul in one direction and via bangkok in the other. syd-icn-hkg is 6448 miles, and hkg-bkk-syd is 5711. The shortest star route is on sq at 5495 but that is a forlorn hope.
My first question is: how does one ascertain the MPM?
My second question is: does this new rule override rules about traversing another region to get to destination?
Since the regions are now divided north asia, and south asia, if i want to use Asiana i have to go via North Asia to get to Hkg.
When i rang a couple of days ago they said i would have to take two awards, one to north asia, and then one north asia to south asia, which of course, is way too many miles.
EH (Eastern Hemisphere direction) MPM SYD to/from HKG is 5514. SYD-BKK-HKG is 5728 CUM = 5M level which is permitted. SYD-ICN-HKG is 6479 CUM = 20M level, max is 15M so you can't do it on one award.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, BA Silver
If I would like to go to USA-South Asia via Europe in F, it'll be 160k instead of 145k?

Also, I don't know what the MPM is but is it possible to go from IAD-FRA-NRT (stopover)-BKK (destination)-FRA-IAD? How many miles will it cost? Thanks. I would like to get an award ticket for end of this year but not sure I should use multiple oneways or round trip with stopover.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Seems to be great news ^

I think redemption increases are right around the corner though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.