Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Back with United - Is E+ worth $59 HNL-LAX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Looking for a little help here. I am in the military and recently moved back to the states so I am starting back up with my United mileage. Is it worth purchasing economy plus on a HNL-LAX for 25% bonus on miles. for a cost of 59.00 Of course I would love to fly F but the cost is 17,500 plus 250.00 for just members. I lost my premier status while living overseas. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Well worth the $59.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
On a flight that long, I'd buy up to E+ in a heartbeat. The bonus miles are just gravy.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I'm not sure if your primary concern is regaining status or more comfortable flying. With respect to the latter, if you think you will be flying regularly in the next year, you may wish to consider the Economy Plus "Annual Option." For $425 a year, it entitles you (and a companion) to reserve any E+ seat that is available at the time of booking (or later). It's a fair chunk of cash to layout up front, but if you are planning numerous round trips (and/or plan to be travelling with another person) it can be very cost effective compared to one-way buyups. Look on the website under "Travel Options by United" for more info. Good luck!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks I went ahead and booked premier travel for 74.00 which is the bonus, E+, and premier line, etc. I will look into the yearly option when I learn more about my new job and what airlines I will be traveling on using the gov't rate. hopefully its UA or DL.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
you may wish to consider the Economy Plus "Annual Option." For $425 a year, it entitles you (and a companion) to reserve any E+ seat that is available at the time of booking (or later). ......(and/or plan to be travelling with another person) it can be very cost effective compared to one-way buyups.
Also, it should be noted that unlike status, for the E+ annual option, the companion MUST be on the same PNR.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Also, it should be noted that unlike status, for the E+ annual option, the companion MUST be on the same PNR.
That is indeed what the rules say; however, in practice, I was consistently able to use this benefit to move a colleague into E+ who was traveling on the same plane but a different PNR, by asking at the gate. Others I know have had the same experience, and I believe there have also been some reports on FT of even being able to do this by calling in advance. YMMV, of course . . .
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:04 pm

Programs: Too Many
Originally Posted by accordecs
Thanks I went ahead and booked premier travel for 74.00 which is the bonus, E+, and premier line, etc. I will look into the yearly option when I learn more about my new job and what airlines I will be traveling on using the gov't rate. hopefully its UA or DL.
I think your $74. is money well spent.

I wouldn't want to fly HNL-LAX in E-.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:19 pm

Are you familiar with this website? http://apps.fas.gsa.gov/citypairs/search/index.cfm?ft

It lists the GSA city pairs and what airlines serve each route. My mom is based out for HNL right now, and she's had pretty good luck in getting assigned to go places that DL and UA have the route for.

Happy travels!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by 808 Flyer
I think your $74. is money well spent.

I wouldn't want to fly HNL-LAX in E-.
Lol I've flown E- HNL-LAX no problem....

Granted I get my own middle section row 767/777!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry
Thanks for the GSA city pairs!

Also, to the OP, welcome back and I'm sure you'll find the 59.00 USD money well spent. ^
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, Dog Woof Million Mile Member
Good choice

It is not just the extra leg room. It is the fact that there are generally fewer people sitting in E+--unless the plane is packed.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
It is not just the extra leg room. It is the fact that there are generally fewer people sitting in E+--unless the plane is packed.
... or underway in Asia.

Where you can have packed E+ and empty E- sections. I learned that during a few E- downgrades ex. HKG grace to the pleasant employees who populate HKG airport.

I love E+ but for a short hop like LAX-HNL either is fine.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:43 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by weero
I don't consider that a short hop and wouldn't want to be stuck in E- for 5+ hours. $59 is a small price to pay for the extra leg room and comfort.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by weero
I could not get E+ yesterday on packed trascon IAD-SEA on 319 and it was real pain (was glad to have any seat after irrop/overnight in IAD). I wished I were on LH intra-europe economy leather seat, which felt much more comfortable a few days earlier.

The only good thing about United E- is mingling with unwashed masses and educating your seatmates about miles, upgrades, E+, etc. It's amazing how E+ / E- separates people into frequent and not-so-frequent flyers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.