Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who else prefers the rear-facing C seats?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:05 am

Programs: United 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5 Star Gold
I too like the upper deck rear facing seats

I give the rear facing seats for the overnight to SYD a big ^

Tonight I will be taking my 4th round trip in this configuration, but in tow will be 3 coworkers who have never flown more then 6 hours.

I'll post the survey results of the the trip from these newbies
Old Jan 29, 2011, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by 1P
Disagreeing with both. In 767 row 6, you can look into others' eyes in rows further back.
It depends on which seats you have in Row 6. The center seats (6CH) face forward.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by violist
1. Both kinds of seats are fine.
2. Old-style C is fine.

Quit fussing!
No one is fussing (at least not me, the OP), just a survey to see if I'm weird (well, weirder than already established).

Also, old C is not nearly as nice as new C. I do prefer old C to FBNL.

Originally Posted by UNITED863
I know Southwest had some rear-facers for a while on their early 737s (thanks MatthewLAX!), but this would be an interesting concept for the entire coach cabin.
The old "club seats" on WN were in the exit rows and bulkheads. I have no idea if it allowed them to put more seats in, not that it matters as they never had a crazy dense pitch. I do remember flying WN before I turned 15 and being pissed that I couldn't sit in those seats.

AFAIK, they lasted as long as the 732s did, but were also in the 733s and 735s for quite some time.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It was a FAA requirement that the "club seating" be taken out, this was according to a FA I talked to. I miss them, was always interesting when you flew with some friends.

Originally Posted by N1120A
The old "club seats" on WN were in the exit rows and bulkheads. I have no idea if it allowed them to put more seats in, not that it matters as they never had a crazy dense pitch. I do remember flying WN before I turned 15 and being pissed that I couldn't sit in those seats.

AFAIK, they lasted as long as the 732s did, but were also in the 733s and 735s for quite some time.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, B6
I'm a big fan of the rear-facing seats, especially if next to the windows, and especially if on the upper deck of the 744 with the window storage lockers
Old Jan 29, 2011, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Don't remember where but I recall reading that survivability in a crash is higher in a rear-facing seat. Makes sense intuitively; you've got the seat back to absorb force, rather than only the lap belt.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
I'm new to United after jumping from Delta. I'm still considering the differences between the products. Both have things to recommend them.

I do love the rear-facing seats. I'm usually an upper deck aisle person but snagged 15A based on the advice found here on FT. It was great!

Score one for UA
Old Jan 29, 2011, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
They're GGGGGreat!!!

I love the rear-facing seats! I really like the feel on take-off and landing---it seems like the effects of acceleration and deceleration are minimized while in that position. Row 7, seats A,B,J,K on the 747s are the best. Upper deck seats are way too short for me.
Old Jan 30, 2011, 7:25 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Love rear facing seats. Since most people seem to reflexively dislike them, you have a greater chance of ending up with an empty seat next to you.
Agreed. There's also the psychological edge. You could be looking at First thinking "I wish I were there" or at Coach thinking "Thank God I am not there." Which is better?
Old Jan 30, 2011, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Rear facing seats will result in demonic possession. Stay away from them. If that's all that's left when you clear an upgrade or pay for C, then refuse the seat.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:58 am

Premium rear facing seat?

I’m booking a flight from NRT to SFO. In business they have rear facing seats but they are listed as premium. I usually fly Singapore Air so I haven’t seen this configuration. I guess my question is, should I pick a forward or rear facing seat?

Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by Calmday
I’m booking a flight from NRT to SFO. In business they have rear facing seats but they are listed as premium. I usually fly Singapore Air so I haven’t seen this configuration. I guess my question is, should I pick a forward or rear facing seat?

Any and all help will be very much appreciated.
For some, being backwards is unnerving. Practically, I believe the choice of an aisle or a window is much more important. For 98% of the flight, it does not matter in which direction your seat faces.

Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:07 am
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
UA calls business class the "premium cabin". The forward-facing and rear-facing seats are the same seat. Personally, I like the forward-facing seats mainly because take-off and landing are more comfortable for me. Once in the air, I don't think you'll feel much difference.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 1:17 am

Thanks for the responses. I did a little more searching and found loads of info on the topic. Mostly saying exactly what you guys did.

Thanks again and sorry for not doing a more thorough search before posting.

[Moderator note: Merged the OP's recent thread with a recent one on the topic. Ocn Vw 1K]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Mar 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm Reason: Please see above.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:32 am

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, Hhonors Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold
Really no difference, I got very motion-sick in a train facing backwards, or in a car in the back seat, but have no issues with the backward facing seats.

Since I am short, take off feels like being in a ferris wheel to me (legs dangling, pushed forward), but other than that it's fine.

For me it's most important to be on the aisle, since the window person has to "climb" over to get out. I also enjoy upstairs, if possible, much quieter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.