Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Questions About Travel on Hawaiian Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Can you still:

1) use UA miles to get seats on Hawaiian Air?

2) Earn UA miles when flying a purchased Hawaiian fare? If so, what does it mean that the "travel must be connected to a UA flight between the mainland and Hawaii"?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:14 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
all your answers are found at
www.united.com > Mileage Plus > Earn miles > Partner guide > Airlines > Hawaiian Airlines
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

1) Yes.
2) Yes, so long as it is on the same PNR as a UA flight to the mainland. If you just buy a random HA flight you do not get the UA credit.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Also, remember that if your first flight from Hawaii is on HA, you'll be charged for checked baggage regardless of your elite status on UA....it's something UA doesn't make very clear when they sell you the ticket on ual.com
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Don't forget that there's no EQM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers.

Here's what we are doing -

Flying ORD-LIH on UA.
Taking Hawaiian three days later to OGG
Flying home on UA (OGG-ORD) a week after that.

So it sounds like I won't get EOMs for the Hawaiian Air flight, so I might as well use 5000 RDMs to do the Hawaiian flight, Right?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
Well, I just went back to check my mileage credit on a flight from HNL to Kona and back, booked on Hawaiian, earned me any UA miles. I got 500 each way. Not sure about EQMs earned, as I don't know how to check on that. Is there a way??? This was not booked as part of my ORD-HNL r.t. ticket.

I'm a 1K, if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
So it sounds like I won't get EOMs for the Hawaiian Air flight, so I might as well use 5000 RDMs to do the Hawaiian flight, Right?
If you can get it, sure, why not? Unless the flight is so cheap that even that's not worth it. In that case, just try crediting to M+ and see what happens.

Originally Posted by sim510
Well, I just went back to check my mileage credit on a flight from HNL to Kona and back, booked on Hawaiian, earned me any UA miles. I got 500 each way. Not sure about EQMs earned, as I don't know how to check on that. Is there a way??? This was not booked as part of my ORD-HNL r.t. ticket.

I'm a 1K, if that makes any difference.
There's no way to get EQMs for any flight operated by Hawaiian Airlines. They are not members of Star Alliance.

-David
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Flights between islands are pretty short. Couldn't be that many EQMs to lose!

That being said, next month we are flying SFO-OGG, then OGG-HNL-SFO because it was $500pp cheaper in F, as opposed to flying back OGG-SFO. The OGG-HNL is on Hawaiin and lasts all of 25 mins. But, overall, for less money, getting more miles.

I tried to switch the flight last week. Sure, for $462pp, so the price had dropped slightly!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
we got RDM without the same PNR...

Originally Posted by sbm12
2) Yes, so long as it is on the same PNR as a UA flight to the mainland. If you just buy a random HA flight you do not get the UA credit.
Another data point to add to the earlier post: we booked HNL-KOA roundtrip directly with Hawaiian and no tie to our UA flight to/from HNL (though bags were interlined) which was an award. Had them add our MP#s at check-in (no provision on-line for non-HA #s). 500 RDM each way posted about 2 weeks after the respective flights. No EQM as noted earlier.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

OK, so I looked online and also called both Mileage Plus and Prem Exec trying to book a Hawaiian Air flight using UA miles.

Botton line there are no award seats available on any date, any time on either Saver or Std awards.

So is this truly a benefit of Mileage Plus?

Anyone else I should call or just cough up the $150 for a one way tik?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott Rewards
No sure what is the deal here.

I verified with AA that I can book an HA saver awards (partner) from SFO-HNL-LIH . However, when I call UA, the rep told me he cannot "see" this as an available routing on HA. He also says he cannot book HA flights using UA saver awards.

Can someone clarify why the rep cannot see the routing and IF we canNOT use UA saver awards on HA ?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
If you just buy a random HA flight you do not get the UA credit.
Although this is technically the policy, I haven't had a problem asking the gate agent to add my FF# to the itinerary and receiving credit. Hawaiian doesn't let you do this online or at a kiosk, however - you need a live person.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by milemonkey
OK, so I looked online and also called both Mileage Plus and Prem Exec trying to book a Hawaiian Air flight using UA miles.

Botton line there are no award seats available on any date, any time on either Saver or Std awards.

So is this truly a benefit of Mileage Plus?

Anyone else I should call or just cough up the $150 for a one way tik?
Use the CO.com site to search for award space. sbm12 and I validated last fall that there is a bug in UA's systems that prevents them from seeing HA's award inventory.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-merged-4.html
Old Jan 23, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Use the CO.com site to search for award space. sbm12 and I validated last fall that there is a bug in UA's systems that prevents them from seeing HA's award inventory.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-merged-4.html
Are you saying we can use UA saver miles for HA flights? I confirmed with both AA and HA that there are partner saver seats available on HA, but the HA rep says 1) he cannot see the flight and 2) I cannot use UA saver to reserve HA mileage seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.