Wiki Posts
Search

can you standby on different day?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
can you standby on different day?

I know you can do same day standby for a fee (free for 1K). It's often much easier to standby early flights from your later schedule. If you have the first morning flight (say 6am), can you show up at the airport to standby the last flight (eg redeye) of the night before the scheduled flight?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
can you show up at the airport to standby the last flight (eg redeye) of the night before the scheduled flight?
Sure, you can always show up, but don't expect anything. It's not part of the standby rules, and you'd have to find an agent willing to break the rules to let you on.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Please see: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:28 pm

Programs: XP AA, ◊ HGP, PL SPG, 1K UA
Originally Posted by Row3Acer
I know you can do same day standby for a fee (free for 1K). It's often much easier to standby early flights from your later schedule. If you have the first morning flight (say 6am), can you show up at the airport to standby the last flight (eg redeye) of the night before the scheduled flight?
If you want to take a flight departing after 12am (like CO's SFO-IAH at 12:25 ), then of course standby is not a problem as this flight is within the same (calender) day of your ticketed flight. You can do this at the airport or SDC at 1K desk.

Some folks (including me) have had success stories in being able to standby the day before (you can search for this thread). But I hear these are exceptions, not the norm. So if it works--great! But if it doesn't then there is really no justification for resentment.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:41 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Some agents will do it for free as an exception to the rules--maybe loads are light, etc. Sometimes an agent will just charge the service fee ($150) instead of the fee + fare difference (to whatever the cheapest fare available is).

It doesn't hurt to ask at the airport, but it's definitely not the norm or the rule.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
thanks for the great link. sorry I did not search the topic hard enough.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Confirmed Stand By / Same Day Change?

Mods - Please merge this if you find an appropriate thread.

Here is my situation:

I am ticketed on UA 845 SAN-ORD, flight is on UA metal, flight is at 11:13 AM on 7/29.

I would like to try and get on UA 300 SAN-ORD, still on UA metal, but the flight is at 10:46 PM on 7/28. UA 300 is 12 hours and 27 minutes earlier.

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to do this without paying any additional fees. I am 1P with UA.

What are my options - Do I need to be at the airport Thursday night to try and do this at the counter? Should I call United and try to handle this over the phone?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
You can't stand by on a different date without paying the full $150 change fee. The 12 hour time diff doesn't matter..it's the date on the ticket that matters. You'd be able to stand by for any earlier flight on 7/29, but not the redeye the night before. Exceptions do get made at the airport, but officially you will have to pay the $150 change fee (at minimum, and possibly a fare difference if the agent is a stickler).

I would not bother trying to change over the phone.. your best bet to be able to do it free is at the airport.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Thanks Sea...Does CO's policy allow you to change 24 hours in advance, regardless of calendar dates?

I thought I read somewhere on FT that thanks to CO's policy, you could now change reservations 24 hours in advance, pending availability.

Last edited by SFOrunner; Jul 25, 2011 at 12:30 pm
Old Jul 25, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Thanks Sea...Does CO's policy allow you to change 24 hours in advance, regardless of calendar dates?

I thought I read somewhere on FT that thanks to CO's policy, you could now change reservations 24 hours in advance, pending availability.
On CO metal, yes. CO rules apply.

On UA metal, UA rules apply.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:28 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Any _recent_ experience standing by a day early?

There have been times in the past when I've headed home a day early. These were usually non-stops with low loads. But, it's been a couple of years.

So I find myself in the position of being about 1200 EQM's short due to a cancelled business flight. But, I'm on Xmas holiday now with the family and had originally scheduled to go home (SAN-ORD via SFO of course ) on Jan 1st. Since I'm short, I thought of standing by (with luggage unfortunately) a day early, and then picking up the family when they arrive the next day (separate PNR's so no complications there).

Any recent experience on whether or not this would be possible? I know it's "up to the GA" typically, but I've had great past experience with it.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gof
There have been times in the past when I've headed home a day early. These were usually non-stops with low loads. But, it's been a couple of years.

So I find myself in the position of being about 1200 EQM's short due to a cancelled business flight. But, I'm on Xmas holiday now with the family and had originally scheduled to go home (SAN-ORD via SFO of course ) on Jan 1st. Since I'm short, I thought of standing by (with luggage unfortunately) a day early, and then picking up the family when they arrive the next day (separate PNR's so no complications there).

Any recent experience on whether or not this would be possible? I know it's "up to the GA" typically, but I've had great past experience with it.
How are you going to even make it to the GA? Don't think you can make it through security unless you have a same day boarding pass. So it would be more up to the TA outside security. If by chance you do make it through can't you figure out a way to just have a carry one and have the rest of the family bring the rest of your luggage the next day?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:38 pm
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
How are you going to even make it to the GA? Don't think you can make it through security unless you have a same day boarding pass. So it would be more up to the TA outside security. If by chance you do make it through can't you figure out a way to just have a carry one and have the rest of the family bring the rest of your luggage the next day?
You're correct, I ment the front desk, not at the gate. The luggage situation is simple. 3 bags for a 1P, Free. 3 bags for the family? $75 (plus 1 is heavy, have to make sure it's under 50 lbs if they take it).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gof
You're correct, I ment the front desk, not at the gate. The luggage situation is simple. 3 bags for a 1P, Free. 3 bags for the family? $75 (plus 1 is heavy, have to make sure it's under 50 lbs if they take it).
Except they usually do not allow standby if you have checked luggage. Or are you hoping the TA can get you on the flight as a standby while you are outside? I suspect they will try and charge you a change fee and fare difference for going on a different day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.