Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Frustrated trying for business/first award tickets LHR-AKL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frustrated trying for business/first award tickets LHR-AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Well, here's one option. I'm not sure if it's the best (specifically the inbound, but it's one of few itins that didn't require an overnight somewhere).

This requires booking two one way awards, otherwise they'll charge you for a RTW award.

3/22 NZ1 LHR-LAX in C
3/22 NZ1 LAX-AKL in C

4/22 TG492 AKL-BKK in C
4/22 TK61 BKK-IST in C
4/23 TK1759 IST-LIS in C
4/23 TP356 LIS-LHR in C

If you don't mind one overnight in BKK, you can do AKL-BKK-LHR on TG.

Chris
Old Jan 16, 2011, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Well, here's one option. I'm not sure if it's the best (specifically the inbound, but it's one of few itins that didn't require an overnight somewhere).

This requires booking two one way awards, otherwise they'll charge you for a RTW award.

3/22 NZ1 LHR-LAX in C
3/22 NZ1 LAX-AKL in C

4/22 TG492 AKL-BKK in C
4/22 TK61 BKK-IST in C
4/23 TK1759 IST-LIS in C
4/23 TP356 LIS-LHR in C

If you don't mind one overnight in BKK, you can do AKL-BKK-LHR on TG.

Chris
Nice one. That looks fantastic. I'd go for the overnight in BKK.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:35 am
Original Poster

I started this thread by complaining about availability of C/F awards LHR-AKL on *A. I'd like to thank you guys again for your encouragement. I promised to update you on how I got on. For tangential reasons that I won't bore you with, the trip has shifted to later this year, and I've put together a nice routing through BKK on TG, all in C, which I'm very much looking forward to.

In case anyone else stumbles across this thread with similar concerns, I should record that my take-home message is - as FTers suggested - definitely to try segment by segment. Although I now think I can drive the ANA tool, I have to say that I don't think I understand its design decisions; it seems to provide very patchy search results. (Even now, the itinerary I chose is still available if I ask about LHR-BKK and BKK-AKL separately, but not if I ask about LHR-AKL - even if I explicitly specify TG. Moreover, I believe that I've only ever been offered one- or two-leg routings, not three- or longer ones. That's not how I would program a graph traversal. :-)

Anyway, FT is a fantastic resource; very helpful and welcoming!
Old Apr 21, 2011, 12:36 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Gold, LM
Originally Posted by Jeremy Gibbons
.....I ask about LHR-BKK and BKK-AKL separately, but not if I ask about LHR-AKL - even if I explicitly specify TG. Moreover, I believe that I've only ever been offered one- or two-leg routings, not three- or longer ones. That's not how I would program a graph traversal. :-)
ANA tool only displays max one conx flights. That is the reason you have to do patch work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.