Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

A travel waiver has been issued for the Northeast covering January 7 - 9

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A travel waiver has been issued for the Northeast covering January 7 - 9

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2011, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This really shouldn't affect UA that much on a system-wide level (unless we are including CO's EWR hub in this). The worst of it is supposed to be well northeast of IAD.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:18 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Bear96
This really shouldn't affect UA that much on a system-wide level (unless we are including CO's EWR hub in this). The worst of it is supposed to be well northeast of IAD.
Yup and for those flying in/out of JFK (like me on Sautrday )

Forecast

Friday hourly

Saturday hourly
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by goalie
Yup and for those flying in/out of JFK (like me on Sautrday )

Forecast

Friday hourly

Saturday hourly
.....I guess I'm SOL on my ZRH-IAD-LGA tomorrow then.... at least one of the segments is prone to not happen at this point....
Old Jan 6, 2011, 12:01 pm

Programs: *G, ow Saph
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
Potential VDBs from the weather backlog?! :P

I hope next weekend isn't like this though...I'm taking someone to NYC for their first flight/trip ever and don't want any issues.
I'd say so. My award flight through IAD, which I only confirmed in NY yesterday morning, is now completely zeroed on both segments.
I might start the year with a VDB in each of the first two weeks...on some of the first itineraries I've actually had time to VDB in a long time! ^
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: United MP 1p, PC Ambassador, GP Platinum
Originally Posted by MKE-MR
I'd say so. My award flight through IAD, which I only confirmed in NY yesterday morning, is now completely zeroed on both segments.
I might start the year with a VDB in each of the first two weeks...on some of the first itineraries I've actually had time to VDB in a long time! ^
I think they've been zeroing out flights as a precaution, just look at UA 951 on 1/7, it was C9 D9 Z9 until about an hour after the waiver was announced with >30 seats unclaimed on the seatmap in C, then an hour later, C0 D0 Z0 and now you can't even view the C seatmap, considering that the flight has been consistently NF4 or NF3 i doubt they have actually filled all of the seats with paying C class passengers + there has been virtually no change to the Y seatmap, so its not like they upgraded the whole E+ cabin. I'm betting that they're zeroing out C in case they have any issues with European misconnections through Dulles.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I flying to DC for the weekend. Luckily, DCA is not north enough nor east enough!
Old Jan 6, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver, and HH Diamond
Not even sure why they included the DC area airports (BWI, IAD, DCA) we are only suppose to get a trace of snow on friday. But this whole area panics at a sight of a little snow on the ground.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Considering the number of flights between EWR, JFK, and LGA to/from IAD, it may make sense to include the DC area in the waiver.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Platinum
Will there be any problems with a west coast only travel? Or I should say VDB opportunities? I'm flying HNL-lax-SFO-PDX this Saturday.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:40 pm

Terrific! I view this as a chance for a flight change free-of-charge if I have a last minute change of mind today or tomorrow, as well as a chance for a VDB.

Flying BWI-ORD-SEA and back, Jan. 7-9.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 2:52 pm

We are talking about a few inches of snow... not a blizzard. What meteorologists is UA using? =) JK I love you UA.

But...Maybe others have some knowledge about this... I wonder if these weather waivers actually benefit UA. It seems like it gives the airline more control to fill up planes to capacity in the short-term:

1. Those that postpone travel (or cancel all together) to a later date open up high-yielding last minute inventory to others scrambling to get on a flight before the storm hits.

2. Those with pending travel are more likely to commit to something (verus no show) - either reschedule (relaxed change policy) or take flight, so the airline may overbook less.

3. Those that do opt to reschedule for travel at a later date take from inventory that could otherwise be sold to others, but it may result result in a buy up to a higher fare if the original booking class is not available: All rescheduled travel (same or new itinerary) may be subject to higher fares if it does not meet original rule and booking code restrictions.

Each of these points may improve UA's financial situation even in the midst of a "storm".

Just my opinion of course. Wonder what others have to say.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by indo79
I hope not, I am doing a MR this weekend
Ditto! Doing LGA-DEN-SLC-DEN-LGA all on Saturday. Thankfully the weather looks like it's supposed to fully materialize on Friday and Saturday should be ok (crossing my fingers.)

Right now my DEN-LGA is already zeroed out, but I don't think it was due to the storm. I legit think the flight is full. Hoping for some cancellations tomorrow to hopefully lead to a bump on Saturday. Would get my first 2011 MR off to a great start!
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sofar JFK ops are normal for today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.