Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Let's Eat! - Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 Let's Eat! - Economy Class (Domestic and International) Edition

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
I fly this and similar routes on UA several times a year and sometimes in Y. Generally you don't get to choose your meal, and it usually does have meat in it. I would recommend requesting a vegetarian meal before your flight. The best part of special meals is that you get served first and sometimes the special meal is actually better than the regular one.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There used to be a seafood meal option, but is has been gone for several years already.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by camerabug
I'm flying from LAX-NRT in economy next week. I'm a pescatarian (I don't eat meat but can eat seafood). Does anyone know if the main course options are based on a choice of meats, or do they give you a choice of a meat or fish? Or can I just request a vegetarian option before flight?

Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
Can't speak for that flight but my last 4 TATL and TPAC flights in Y involved a choice of meat and pasta (cheese ravioli or tortellini). But special request a meal and you'll be good to go -- the vegetarian meals are almost always better than standard Y fare.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by harryhood
Can't speak for that flight but my last 4 TATL and TPAC flights in Y involved a choice of meat and pasta (cheese ravioli or tortellini).
Yes, sorry I was mistaken. Please disregard most of my previous post. I do most of my Y flying intra-Asia and sometimes the flights just get mixed up in my head together, especially if I'm tired. You will get a choice and there is usually some sort of ravioli/bow tie meal but just to be sure (especially of availability) it is advisable to request the vegetarian meal.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:47 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass Gold
Thanks for the replies!

I can do pasta but I better not chance it if it ends up being 2x meat choices on a 12-hour flight.

I requested the vegetarian meal.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Platinum, Regus Gold, Chase Mileage Plus Visa, Turkish Air Elite, US Passport Glob. Entl
Thanks

Thanks for that helpful information.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Plat, Hoping VX will create a better elite plan
The history of pre-arrival chips & candy bars in Y ex-FRA

Inspired by another thread...

If you've flown in Y from FRA or MUC to the US, you know it well - a plastic bag containing German "Paprika-Chips", a curiously cold Twix bar, and a hard roll with ham and cheese (buttered, so Teutonic in origin). It is generally hurled at you about an hour before arrival.

I'm pretty sure this has been the arrival meal on US-bound flights originating from Germany for at least 5 years, possibly longer.

So I'm curious - any anecdotal evidence of how long this has been the case? Even better - anyone know the mysterious catering origin of this peculiar snack? Was there a sale on Paprika Chips and cryogenically frozen Twix bars? Is there a factory somewhere in Bavaria that cranks out hundreds od identically-sized buttered ham & cheese rolls every day?
Old Nov 15, 2011, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by dholsinger
Inspired by another thread...

If you've flown in Y from FRA or MUC to the US, you know it well - a plastic bag containing German "Paprika-Chips", a curiously cold Twix bar, and a hard roll with ham and cheese (buttered, so Teutonic in origin). It is generally hurled at you about an hour before arrival.

I'm pretty sure this has been the arrival meal on US-bound flights originating from Germany for at least 5 years, possibly longer.

So I'm curious - any anecdotal evidence of how long this has been the case? Even better - anyone know the mysterious catering origin of this peculiar snack? Was there a sale on Paprika Chips and cryogenically frozen Twix bars? Is there a factory somewhere in Bavaria that cranks out hundreds od identically-sized buttered ham & cheese rolls every day?
Sounds very familiar as it's been essentially the same coming from the UK for at least 5 years, except they replaced the Walkers chips (the gold standard in mass market chips) for a cheaper brand. The bread roll is the only one I've had which is still ok after 10 hours in flight but the mystery meat inside still will not reveal its origins. Soylent white with added gristle for texture, perhaps.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
SFO-ICN
B747 Y
November
HNML Lunch: Lamb(!), rice pilaf, lentils, salad, yogurt, almond cookie. This was the first time I encountered lamb with a Hindu meal, but from previous reports it has happened before. According to UA it should be vegetarian, with meat as a prohibited ingredient. I wasn't pleased, but ate around the meat and was satisfied. The standard meals looked dreadful, as expected.

AVML Mid-flight snack: Half-pita stuffed with couscous and iceberg lettuce (and sweets from the galley). Very plain, but edible. Still better than the Motel 6 danishes that were being passed around. There was no second meal service on this flight due to the chillers going inop.

ICN-SFO
B747 Y
November
AVML Dinner: Curried lentils, Basmati rice, spiced sauteed gourds and veggies, flatbread, chilled roasted bell pepper and eggplant, soybean-curd savory cake, watermelon and orange slices.
Major kudos to ICN catering for this high-quality meal. The cake was especially novel. Very good all around. ^

AVML Breakfast: Rice pancakes, peppers, large lentils, fried paneer (cheese) cubes, biscuit, yogurt, watermelon and orange slices.
Another home run from ICN, especially compared with the sad-looking McMuffin-type sandwich that was the standard breakfast. It should be noted that I got these exact same two meals on my other ICN-SFO flight where I had ordered HNML.

SFO-ORD
A320 Y
November
Choice Menu: Asian Noodle Salad with udon noodles, chicken breast, bok choy, carrots, and other veggies.
The portion was a bit small, not surprising given the $5.49 price point. I would have gladly paid more for the box to be filled a little higher, as I did enjoy this legacy CO item more than the usual BoB offerings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.