Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2011 Let's Eat! - Domestic First and Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

This thead is ONLY for:
International First and Business Class
Domestic Business & First Class (they are so similar)
International & Domestic Economy Class
This thread should have the Domestic First and Business Class meal information.

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information!

For an awesome description of United's First and Business Class Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack meals, BlissWorld has created this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pictures.html

For the curious folks, the 2010 thread is here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ess-class.html

With that, Let's Eat 2011!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:53 am
Original Poster

With a nod to SEA_Tigger for a nice compilation:

The times shown here are NOT the official meal times published by United (there aren't any official ones). They reflect the in-flight experience of fellow FT'ers.

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in First Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. p.s. flights
  2. Mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours
  3. Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  4. Non-Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  5. ExPlus flights
1) P.S. flights: Passengers in First Class can expect a meal to be served for all non-redeye flights. Redeye flights can expect a one-choice warm snack (ie wrap).

2) Domestic mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Breakfast
  • 1001 - 1600 Lunch
  • 1601 - 1930 Dinner
  • 1931 - 0459 Snack Plate (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
---> Transcontinental red-eye flights will have a one-choice, warm snack (ie wrap).
---> Some flights will also have an additional meal code of "Refreshments." This refers to the snack basket that is passed around (usually prior to arrival). The contents of the snack basket vary, but it usually includes chocolate, chips, Biscoff, mixed nuts, pretzels, and fresh fruit (ie bananas).

3) Business1 flights under 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Fruit, Cheese, and Yogurt Breakfast. A warm muffin or croissant may also be served.
  • 1100 - 1930 "Snack" meal code (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
  • 1931 - 0459 "Refreshments" meal code (ie snack basket)
---> Some flights will have a meal code of "Refreshments." This refers to the snack basket that is passed around (usually prior to arrival). The contents of the snack basket vary, but it usually includes chocolate, chips, Biscoff, mixed nuts, pretzels, and fresh fruit (ie bananas).

---> Note, no meal is served on the following Business1 flights:
ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD

These flights are usually coded with "Refreshments" (ie snack basket).

4) First Class passengers on United Airlines domestic flights other then p.s. and Business1 with durations under 2.5 hours in length will receive the "Refreshments" (ie snack basket).

5) United Express First Class passengers on flights over 759 miles (approximately 2 hours in length) will receive:
  • 0500 - 1930 ChoiceMenu SnackBox (usually no choice given, SnackBox type varies by flight)
  • 1931 - 0459 "Refreshments" (ie snack basket).
---> Most UX flights aren't re-catered throughout the day. So, if it is after 1931 and there are snackboxes leftover, the FA may (possibly upon request) provide a snackbox.

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in Business Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. p.s. flights
  2. Mainline flights over 2.5 hours
  3. Mainline flights under 2.5 hours
1) P.S. flights: Passengers in Business Class can expect a meal to be served for all non-redeye flights. Redeye flights can expect a one-choice warm snack (ie wrap).

2) Domestic mainline flights over 2.5 hours: Passengers in Business Class can expect a single-choice meal according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Breakfast (warm)
  • 1001 - 1600 Lunch (warm)
  • 1601 - 2000 Dinner (warm)
  • 2001 - 0459 Cold Snack Plate (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
Transcontinental red-eye flights will have a one-choice, warm snack (ie wrap).

3) Domestic mainline flights under 2.5 hours: Passengers in Business Class will receive the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

With a nod to rch4u, here's a method to check what First or BusinessClass meal code your flight is tagged with. Unfortunately this only works if the flight is also sold as a codeshare. You can also modify rch4u's instructions to select Business class instead of First class.

Originally Posted by rch4u
The best trick I have found is to do an ITA search for F and find the US codeshare on UA metal. Somehow, that displays meal information correctly.

For example, F ORD-LGA (UA 678)*:

united.com

Fare basis code:
QUAUP
Booking class: A
First
733 Award miles
No Meal Service

UA ITA

United Airlines Flight UA678 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

US UA Codeshare ITA

US Airways Flight US6756 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
(operated by United Airlines as Flight UA678)
(lunch)
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

* The "trick" does not work for ORD-DCA because there is no UA/US codeshare on the route.

Last edited by warreng24; Dec 31, 2010 at 6:10 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Reserved
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Maybe this belongs in the 2010 thread but is it just me or I haven't gotten one of the "'Gold Bag' of pre-packaged mixed nuts only" in a long time. Usually on those short-haul flights (e.g., LAX-SFO), they come around with a basket that includes an assortment of mini-Clif Bars, Bananas, Pop-Chips, and mini-Toblerones.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Reserved
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:05 pm

Programs: United 1K & 0.9MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Disgusting Chives in Eggs

I guess Union Carbide has invented a simulated chive, because on domestic first breakfast they sure dump a ton of them in the simulated scrambled eggs. Absolutely horrible. Can I order a special breakfast meal without chives?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndrewT84
Maybe this belongs in the 2010 thread but is it just me or I haven't gotten one of the "'Gold Bag' of pre-packaged mixed nuts only" in a long time. Usually on those short-haul flights (e.g., LAX-SFO), they come around with a basket that includes an assortment of mini-Clif Bars, Bananas, Pop-Chips, and mini-Toblerones.
Good Catch. I thought I edited it. I've fixed it.

I don't think that Business Class flights (transcons) get the snack basket pre-arrival. And I don't think the snack basket is passed around on Business class flights under 2.5 hours.

Last edited by warreng24; Dec 31, 2010 at 6:07 pm
Old Dec 31, 2010, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by warreng24
I don't think that Business Class flights (transcons) get the snack basket pre-arrival.
Yes they do.

There's no need to call out Business1 flights as a separate catering standard anymore. The same 760-mile rules (only refreshments up to 759 miles) applies to all routes out of Chicago - the only exception is LGA that serves breakfast and snacks (warm sandwich).
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: Fallen UA Premier Silver and one-time 1K, AA EXP, DL steerage
Food on UA (a good thing, not a bad thing)

Happy New Year everyone. I'm posting this here and not in the "Let's Eat" thread because it's more domestic than int'l in relevance, and b/c it includes Y as well as F/C.

Anyway, just a general observation, but it seems to me that UA's food has improved a lot over the past few months. On my last three F domestic flights I've gotten delicious minestrone soup and breadsticks plus a chef salad/tasty hot chicken sandwich/yummy cold grilled chicken served over yummy cold bowtie pasta.

On my last 2 TATL Y flights I got a pretty good chicken dish one time and a good rotini pasta dish the other time. Okay, so the cold, shrink-wrapped sandwiches remain for the "snack" prior to landing when flying TATL, but the main dinner entrees were surprisingly edible.

I'm not saying it's on par with, say, OZ or TG meals, but it's surprisingly nummy for a US-based carrier. Anyone agree with me?
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I can see the improvements ^

I was on a ORD-SFO dinner flight recently and the entree (some kind of chicken) was delicious!

There are still some minor things I wish they could improve:

1 - identical flight on different days, sometimes you get the basket of snacks and sometimes you don't. Not sure what the deal is

2 - be a little flexible on the time. 9:56 A - 2:18 P PHX-ORD flight should serve a lunch, not breakfast

3 - breakfast omelette and sausage comes out dry a lot of the time - this only happens on domestic flights, it seems. When doing international C, the omelette has been very good. (And the funny thing is when there is rice dish on domestic F, a lot of the time the rice is cooked better than those on TPAC C/F, even the Japanese meal.)
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Yesterday on a flight from DEN-ORD I swear all I did was eat. Hot nuts !!! then a decent turkey sandwich and corn chowder and then hot cookies.

All in all, better then many times in the past.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:37 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Lax-ord ua 116

I had a hot turkey sandwich with tomato and leek soup that was very delicious. In the last few months I too have also noticed improvement on TATL flights.

My only suggestion would be how about 2 hot entrees like AC, at least one being a non omelet/egg dish. Something like French Toast or pancakes on domestic F.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 4:48 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by I Prefer the Red Eye
On my last three F domestic flights I've gotten delicious minestrone soup and breadsticks plus a chef salad/tasty hot chicken sandwich/yummy cold grilled chicken served over yummy cold bowtie pasta.
Soup + planes = bad idea. They used to have tomato soup in TATL C, with predictable consequences.

On my last 2 TATL Y flights I got a pretty good chicken dish one time and a good rotini pasta dish the other time.
I think TATL Y food is fine, at least for the main meals. The muffin and yogurt breakfasts aren't so great, and...

Okay, so the cold, shrink-wrapped sandwiches remain for the "snack" prior to landing when flying TATL
...the footballs are horrible.

Well, warmed up they are not so bad. I was on a flight where they popped a few in the oven for the C pax, and it was OK. Good luck getting them to do that for Y, though.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Back to back lunch (UA SFO-DEN) and dinner (CO DEN-IAH) flights let me really see the difference in meal service.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Starwood Gold, National Exec Elite, Etc.
Originally Posted by mduell
Back to back lunch (UA SFO-DEN) and dinner (CO DEN-IAH) flights let me really see the difference in meal service.
Good way? CO has always had pretty decent or did, as the own the kitchen/catering company.

The food I had on my last 2 flights was really good. ORD-SFO some Chicken thing.

SFO-ORD Lasagna, cookie, snack, land.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.