Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

1Kvoice: Red carpet is for early boarding only??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1Kvoice: Red carpet is for early boarding only??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2010, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by winstonbentley
The best way to remedy the situation in my opinion is to color code the actual boarding passes. IE Plats (1K), Gold, Silvers and General members have their own colored boarding passes. That way everyone can see that you are a 1K for example, and that you have certain privileges. If some ignoramus questions you (pax) glare at them, flash your boarding pass and simply say 1K. They probably wont know what you are talking about but when they see that your ticket looks like the golden ticket from Willy Wonka, they will put 2+2 together and realize that you are a somebody with the airline.
I thought that was the point of the gold vs. blue BP's (although I guess this isn't a perfect system, as all F and GS/1K/1P/*G get gold BP's and access to the red carpet, while 2Ps who don't access to the red carpet unless upgraded, and *S also get gold BPs too). Although, of course, with the toilet paper BP's becoming ever more prominent, I guess there are fewer and fewer stations that this would work at.

I can't see why you'd need to board on the red carpet only if you're boarding first. Just last weekend at IAD, they only cleared gate upgrades after boarding commenced. They in fact even mentioned this would happen prior to boarding, so she announced the first 6 on the list should not board and standby for upgrades. When I got to the carpet (I think it was seating 2 or 3 at that point), the agent opened the rope (and the first pax in the general line knew what was going on, and rather then try to board ahead, waited for me).

I have seen times when I have arrived in the middle of the boarding process where some GA's will board 2 or 3 more from the main line first, then open the rope. But I have never been told the carpet doesn't work once general boarding has commenced.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I can't see why you'd need to board on the red carpet only if you're boarding first.
That's a basic point I don't believe has been yet mentioned. ^
The whole point of the red carpet is to enable GS, F, 1K, to have priority boarding throughout the boarding process or else there'd be no need for it at all.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
As I posted here, on some occasions when I've gotten into the non-"red carpet" line due to missing priority boarding, the GA actually has mentioned that I should just use the red carpet next time. Nowadays I always use the red carpet even after priority boarding and have always been quickly let through. It's really surprising behavior on the part of the GA in the OP.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fastair
"... don't open them yourself... Crowd control barriers are not self-service items, but are managed by the agent."
enjoyed the comment. But in all seriousness: I once was standing there for quite a while and eventually the GA smiled and said "It's not going to open itself." I felt a little foolish and ever since have usually just opened it on my own. Anyone else have the same experience or habit?
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:58 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
You should have fired her on the spot. You are a 1k, act like one. Such a disappointment to to the membership. how do you expect 2Ps and 1Ps to look up to you when you can't even handle a single GA. Honestly, please switch carriers, Southwest might be more appropriate. UA, especially 1K UA is for type A personalities, not Type C.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:02 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by reddirt14
You should have fired her on the spot. You are a 1k, act like one. Such a disappointment to to the membership. how do you expect 2Ps and 1Ps to look up to you when you can't even handle a single GA. Honestly, please switch carriers, Southwest might be more appropriate. UA, especially 1K UA is for type A personalities, not Type C.
Haha!! Very funny. Wait, you are joking, right?

Originally Posted by gengar
As I posted here, on some occasions when I've gotten into the non-"red carpet" line due to missing priority boarding, the GA actually has mentioned that I should just use the red carpet next time. Nowadays I always use the red carpet even after priority boarding and have always been quickly let through. It's really surprising behavior on the part of the GA in the OP.
I have read this kind of account several times on FT (1Ks in regular lane being told by GAs that they should have used the red lane), which is part of the reason I always go for the red lane even if the ribbon appears to be closed. To have some GAs advising travelers as gengar's GA did, and have some GAs bouncing 1Ks from the red lane once the blue lane has opened as my GA did, is a really frustrating inconsistency.

Originally Posted by Fredd
That's a basic point I don't believe has been yet mentioned. ^
The whole point of the red carpet is to enable GS, F, 1K, to have priority boarding throughout the boarding process or else there'd be no need for it at all.
Hey! I mentioned it too, in post #1.
But yes, I agree, the fact that the red carpet lane even exists seems to indicate that it's not just for early boarding.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 27, 2010 at 11:48 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 27, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
Haha!! Very funny. Wait, you are joking, right?
Yeah - I was joking. Although I have on ocassion used the red carpet line to bypass a long line of boarding when the GA started early or I was in the red carpet club a little to long. I do feel for the op. It's a delicate balance.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 1:08 am

Programs: UA MM, AA EXP, VS (silver-for-life revoked), DL, WN, AS, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by winstonbentley
The best way to remedy the situation in my opinion is to color code the actual boarding passes. IE Plats (1K), Gold, Silvers and General members have their own colored boarding passes.
Now that many of us are going paperless with our BP's, we'll need to work out some secret signal, either that or get the legendary "1K" tattoo on our foreheads.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by markj99
enjoyed the comment. But in all seriousness: I once was standing there for quite a while and eventually the GA smiled and said "It's not going to open itself." I felt a little foolish and ever since have usually just opened it on my own. Anyone else have the same experience or habit?
Yes, has happened to me before. I still don't usually open it myself, but just make eye contact and they always let me through.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by markj99
There have been a few times where the GA is processing pax after elite boarding when I saunter up to the red carpet. I figure rather than make her walk away from the podium and slow things down I can just do it myself. Never has this caused a stir.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:17 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Originally Posted by 1111
Now that many of us are going paperless with our BP's, we'll need to work out some secret signal, either that or get the legendary "1K" tattoo on our foreheads.
I think the 1k Tattoo is going to be the best solution here. Should be in gold on the forehead.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 4:49 am

I don't look like a usual 1K (I was told I look under 21, I dress like a student when I travel)and I'm flying out of LAX next week. I will try boarding thru the red carpet during zone 1, and I'll report what happens.

Originally Posted by msmith387
Twice it happened in the dreaded A gates of Dulles getting on CR7s, which wasn't a big deal.
IAD A-terminal for UAX is like a flea market! I have seen agents boarding and calling everyone all at once and at one time everyone on our flight boarded thru the red carpet. I remember making a comment to the gate agent that everyone's GS and 1K on this flight.. and he said something like, "yes, GS/1K everyone!"

@Joesmoe: I think the 1k Tattoo is going to be the best solution here. Should be in gold on the forehead.
Yes, and don't forget to include the tulip!
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:34 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by CollegeFlyer
.."We use our red carpet early boarding to recognize our elite members and allow them early boarding in a distinguished manner. Once general boarding starts we typically use the normal line..."
Idiots. All of them.

The 1KVoice degenerated to a stinkin' factory of apologies for pathetic employee behaviour. Either your get a gibberish answer in Klingon from the ICC 1KVoice or when you escalate, you get such foul excuses from an agent who is capable of actually speaking English but too lazy to reprimand the GA who messed up.

These things went considerably worse over the last 1.5 years and have me fly other carriers more and more as UA customer service doesn't protect the customers but the bad eggs in theis staff .
Old Nov 28, 2010, 5:37 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, Marriott
Though its been mentioned already a few times in this thread, i'll also chime in saying that i've boarded late in the priority lane many times, in fact almost every time. I see no reason to board early, I leave the lounge 15-20 mins prior to departure, and board 10-15 before.

Even if there are only 5 people in the regular line I still go to the priority line, I don't care if they board all 5 people first, it saves me getting harassed if a bag is slightly too large, or something else is slightly out of place. Its also just habit.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 8:36 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by joesmoe
I think the 1k Tattoo is going to be the best solution here. Should be in gold on the forehead.
The funny thing with the tattoo is when status expires, some people will still get in the red carpet line and just hold something over the expiration date part of the tattoo. GA: "Sir, could you please uncover the rest of the tattoo, the ink is faded, and the tattoo is using the old logo, so I think that this may not be a current tattoo."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.