Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Join Us: 1K/GS Seeking to Move to AA and Have Executive Platinum Status Matched

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:29 pm

Programs: United 1K - AA EXP - Avis CC - Hertz Plat - Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat
Do you guys mind if a CO Plat joins in? I have been contemplating a switch to AA for a couple months now.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Individually, we have no chance. But, as a large group of 1K and GSs, we might have a shot. Delta never matched anyone to Platinum in the past, but when they merged with Northwest, they offered Platinum match exclusively to CO Plats. It's the perfect time for AA to poach top level elites from UA right now and we have a good shot if we ask as a group, especially as top level elites from a major competitor promising to give all of our business to AA.
I believe that even as a group you guys/gals won't have much of a chance. AA is not DL or CO. They have a long tradition of making folks earn EXP. I am curious how this all unfolds for you all. Good luck.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA LT Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I believe that even as a group you guys/gals won't have much of a chance. AA is not DL or CO. They have a long tradition of making folks earn EXP. I am curious how this all unfolds for you all. Good luck.
Not unless you are an AA insider, I support the group's move to collectively seek status match to Exp Plat. Revenue wise, AA will be getting top elites flyters from its competitor and should be a factor for AA to consider the request. Also, I am not sure if it was already mentioned here but as a benefit of Exec Plat, you have access to the Flagship Lounge when travelling to Asia, Europe and South America regardless of your booking class. UA does not do that to their 1K customers. Goodluck!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:51 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I certainly hope AA has enough sense not to approve this. When other people have switched to AA over the years, they had to earn EXP. Why should AA now hand it our for nothing?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The AA route map is practically non-existant out of SFO, so we're captive to UA. We may well severely reduce our travel, but switching is just not an option.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The AA route map is practically non-existant out of SFO, so we're captive to UA. We may well severely reduce our travel, but switching is just not an option.
Everyone seeks their need.
That's why CO elites in IAH feel this company is the best in the universe although CO didn't have SWUs before.
Some people have choices and some people don't.
I am glad that I have.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott/SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I certainly hope AA has enough sense to not approve this. When other people have switched to AA over the years, they had to earn EXP. Why should AA now hand it our for nothing?
Why should AA hand it out for "nothing"? To guarantee themselves additional revenue and hook in a bunch of high-value long-term customers thanks to an out-of-the-ordinary opportunity. Duty 1 is to their shareholders to make as much $ as possible and be a viable company into the future. Not saying they will/would even consider it but that's my two cents.

Full disclosure: I'm actually an AA shareholder so darn it they'd better consider for the good of the company
Old Nov 17, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL-PM | UA-1K | HH-Gold
Count this LAX-based 1K in. I would rather have a stable program.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, SPG VIP
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
I certainly hope AA has enough sense not to approve this. When other people have switched to AA over the years, they had to earn EXP. Why should AA now hand it our for nothing?
My thought on this is that AA considers UA as its only true peer airline in terms of high-yield travel. That, in conjunction with some strong overlap in markets like ORD and LAX may give them them a slighly different outlook towards doing something like this compared to previous airline mergers.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:07 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
As an AA EXP and UA 1K, I can tell you that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side of the fence. Both UA 1K and AA EXP are great elite programs.

As long as UACO keeps E+, I really don't think things are as bad as people think. If UACO does abandon E+, there will undoubtedly be a stampede of people leaving UA for other airlines.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, 1K
Great idea, please count the 3 of us in:

uyflyer: 1K, 1MM
ms-uyflyer: 1K, (0.975MM)
uyflyer-jr: 1K

Thanks
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
All in All, EXP is just a better program than 1K.

EXP only needs 100 EQS, 1K needs 120 EQS

EXP EQM == BIS, 1K can get EQM bonuses

EXP and 1K both get UDU

EXP is highest priority, 1K is behind GS

EXP gets UDU Y -> J on 3 class AFS flights, 1K doesn't on p.s.

1K gets UDU J -> F on 3 class non-P.S. flights, EXP even better, AA will sell the 3 cabin plane as 2 class and give the J seats to elites for Free, and let EXP UDU to the F cabin.

EXP gets Flagship Lounge Access, 1K doesn't get IFL access

EXP gets 8 SWU, plus 4 more per 50K EQMs, 1K only gets 6, and 2 more per 50K EQMs.

EXP gets cheaper mileage upgrade co-pays to Hawaii, 1K gets hosed on them

1K gets CR-1s, EXP gets more SWUs

EXP gets First Class lounge access on OneWorld Partners, 1K gets relegated to Business Class Lounges on Star Partners

EXP will also get soft landing, 1Ks can go from 1K to nothing

EXP can reach lifetime Platinum in just a few years, with 2MM where all miles count, 1K needs 1MM BIS to reach lifetime 1P, and 3MM BIS for lifetime 1K (more than most people fly in a lifetime).

EXP is the highest tier, 1K is NOT

AAdvantage is just a better program than Mileage Plus, much easier to redeem awards

NGBC may be angled lie-flat, but 2x3x2 on a 772 sure beats 2x4x2

AA also has row 17 of the 767-300, the J cabin of the 772/762 serving as "E+" on domestic routes.

AA also has lie-flat seats in F on the Hawaii Long Hauls out of DFW/ORD
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Might consider this

I am interested in this possibility, but would like to wait and see what the rest of the new UA program i(especially around lifetime status, earning it and the Global Services renewal for 2011). As a former EXP and PLAT lifetime, along with AA's expansion in and out of LAX, I would definitely look at this.

I have several other people of mine that I need to consider this as well before jumping in with both feet on this as well.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'd certainly consider this switch if and when AA offered flat bed seats in int'l business. Seatguru says there are no seats like that now, please let me know if that is incorrect.

Until then, I expect to use foreign carriers on routes where UA doesn't have flat bed seats or competitive Z fares.

Happy to give AA my domestic business just to make a point, even if it means some rides on MD80s
+1 - But all the best to anyone leaving and I look forward to not having to compete with your for UGs on UA.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by 5khours
+1 - But all the best to anyone leaving and I look forward to not having to compete with your for UGs on UA.
Indeed and you will also enjoy more enhancements in the future.
People are still happy because the water is still cold and they don't feel hurt yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.