Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lufthansa Upgrade With UA SWU Questions/Experiences" Thread [2010/11]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2010, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
actually they can -- read the program rules. Rules can change at any time. May not be good customer relations but advance notice os not required.
There's a difference between changing the rules, with or without advance notice,, and changing the rules but not telling anyone that the rules have changed.

A rule changed without advance notice is a surprise only briefly. But a rule without any notice at all is a surprise to everyone affected, every day.

I don't know if there is any precedent for FF rules being changed without some advance notice, but there's certainly no precedent for FF rules being changed but never announced.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
It seems to me the rule is quite clear on the UA Web site:

# Other Important Notes: This upgrade certificate may only be used to upgrade one person. Certificate has no cash value and may not be altered or duplicated. This upgrade is assignable in person at the airport. Valid ID is required for authorization. Lost, stolen, expired, or destroyed upgrade certificates will not be replaced. Expiration dates will not be extended. This certificate is void if sold or bartered. Other restrictions may apply. Terms and conditions subject to change without notice.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:00 pm

Has anyone used the voucher on LH731 (HKG-MUC)? Can I apply the voucher if I use the in-town check-in in Kowloon station? And how accurate is the seatmap on LH's website? Apparently there are only 6 seats left in C for the flight I'm taking...
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by wxguy
It seems to me the rule is quite clear on the UA Web site:

# Other Important Notes: This upgrade certificate may only be used to upgrade one person. Certificate has no cash value and may not be altered or duplicated. This upgrade is assignable in person at the airport. Valid ID is required for authorization. Lost, stolen, expired, or destroyed upgrade certificates will not be replaced. Expiration dates will not be extended. This certificate is void if sold or bartered. Other restrictions may apply. Terms and conditions subject to change without notice.
I disagree. That rule refers to System Wide Upgrades in general, not specific to paper SWUs. Indeed the SWUs are assignable at the airport; sometimes I have to assign an electronic upgrade to someone at the airport; this is necessary when I have to call to sponsor someone. The rule does not say "only assignable at only the airport", since clearly one can sponsor SWUs online at united.com.

Last edited by mre5765; Nov 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:45 pm

Incidentally it seems clear that if there is such a new rule, it is not a UA rule (hence no need to (mis)interpret the UA rule book), but a new LH "rule". But since UA frequent flyers are affected, UA needs to straighten this out.

The use of awards from one airline on another airline is tends to be subject to the vagaries of both airlines, and perhaps LH retains the right to not accept these standby certificates simply on the basis that it doesn't feel like it.

Still, it seems to me to be normal customer relations to do things like this transparently and not via internal LH memo (if indeed there is such a memo).
Old Nov 13, 2010, 8:56 pm

Programs: Airlines: UA-CO, NH, AA, and DL Hotels: SPG, Accor, PC, and Marriott
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Did he get upgraded all the way from ORD to SIN via FRA? If so, that seems new to me, as I understood that all SWU upgrades on LH were one segment only and such a trip would require 2 certs.

If he was upgraded all the way, is this a change or did he get lucky?

Sorry for the misconception, his total itinerary was ORD-FRA-SIN-FRA-ORD, but he did FRA-SIN-FRA on SQ. He is a PPS Solitaire and complains about every other airline besides SQ.

You are correct, a SWU is only good for an upgrade on 1 segment on LH as far as I know too, so he used the paper SWU's on ORD-FRA and FRA-ORD.

He had no problem using the second SWU on arrival in FRA, he talked to the staff at the SEN lounge in FRA, the applied it and gave him his FC BP. As he had a 4.5 hour layover, he walked over to the FCT, and felt that helped atone for LH's deficiencies (when compared to SQ). His complaints were minimal, only about an "outdated" seat on LH 744's and Smirnoff as the vodka on LH first and some other minor issues; other than that he enjoyed LH first.

From what he old me though, no issues FRA-ORD applying the SWU. He handed it over they gave him new BP's in about a minute.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA1k 3mm, HH-LifeDiamond, Mar-LifePlatElite
Well, Hmnnn....

Glad I caught this thread. Nice that I get the information after I have already begun travel - the rule seems to have changed very recently. I do have a note with a signature and a copy of the sponsor's ID for LH if needed.

Flying FRA-CPT Monday, and it would be very impossible to have the sponsor meet me in Frankfurt. Will report back if there is a hang up.

Hope it goes well.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by UAgeek71
Flying FRA-CPT Monday, and it would be very impossible to have the sponsor meet me in Frankfurt. Will report back if there is a hang up.
You shouldn't be affected since the purported rule change affects flights from the US.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:03 am

Programs: AA EXP
Are there any min. fare class rules for paper SWU upgrades?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
In general - at least V fare on LH (E, S, W excluded in the print).
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by seaskybound
I believe "Z" on LH.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
LH Senator Lounge at IAD has no knowledge of this either

I stopped in at the Senator Lounge at IAD today, and asked the LH staff about this. They called a supervisor, and told me they know of no such rule about in-person sponsorship. They said the traveling party just needs to have the certs with them in hand.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I was able to sponsor one to a friend of mine who dared flying LH on a route UA flies. While she won't make that mistake again, the agents gave her some serious trouble citing that they "have to be cautious" with those printed SWUs.
What saved the deal in the end is that I called ways in advance and had her PNR annotated with my details and the intent on sponsoring her.

While this is certainly UA induced, the deplorable and surreptitious way this was installed is prototypical for all LH has become over the years .
Originally Posted by oliver2002
..The statement on the SWU clearly says 'Certificate is transferable but void if bartered or sold.' The DM said they have no way of verifying the statement unless the owner of the cert approves its use in person.
And hence the burden is with the passenger to prove that they did not tinker with the rules. Sounds grotesque but also very LH-esque.
..It seems the inflation of SWUs in last years DEQM promo has caused a flood of these to be used. ...
Certainly. UA does not accept the liability for the sins it committed. Hawking off gazillions of 1K status and a seemingly proportional amount of GS have created these certs and now UA doesn't want to pay the bill. Still, LH should not accept the role as partner in crime here.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by weero
What saved the deal in the end is that I called ways in advance and had her PNR annotated with my details and the intent on sponsoring her.
Did you call LH directly or UA and have them access the PNR?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, TK Elite, GE
Last month I upgraded my sis for LH423 (BOS-FRA) at BOS and the Check-In agent asked for my ID and my 1k card. So, no matter what lounge staffs and hotlines say - they DO check the sponsor's identity - at least at BOS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.