Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a order for United FSs to not smile and say please and thank you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there a order for United FSs to not smile and say please and thank you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by robbgrn
Because the(y) ... <inaccurately quoted and paraphrased comments removed by moderator> don't have a choice. They can't just quit their job because they don't like it, and are forced to continue on. <Comments removed by modertor due to TOS>
I don't agree with this. I work in an industry that has been severely impacted by the economy. I've taken a 40%+ pay cut over the last 3 years and went from a staff of 11 to 3. No less work for all of to do. We just do it and try to be pleasant about it

Do I wish I was paid more? Do I wish my working conditions were better? You bet!

At the same time, I know I can leave (although opportunities are limited) or they can ask me to leave. I'm grateful for my job and my paycheck but I am tired and stressed at times. I don't take it out on my peers and I certainly wouldn't take it out in customers.

I do understand the challenges the current conditions have imposed on everyone but that's no excuse for rude and bad behavior. I have really great crews and being friendly wih them has generally resulted in a positive experience but there are a few sourpusses out there that should find another line of work because they are spoiling it for the customer and their coworkers who are doing a good job

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 2, 2010 at 4:21 pm Reason: fix html
Old Nov 2, 2010, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
FA and other people who are in Customer Service industry, need to be able to make the customer pleasant.

There is no way they should vent out the anger or frustration with paying customers.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I don't agree with this. I work in an industry that has been severely impacted by the economy. I've taken a 40%+ pay cut over the last 3 years and went from a staff of 11 to 3. No less work for all of to do. We just do it and try to be pleasant about it

Do I wish I was paid more? Do I wish my working conditions were better? You bet!

At the same time, I know I can leave (although opportunities are limited) or they can ask me to leave. I'm grateful for my job and my paycheck but I am tired and stressed at times. I don't take it out on my peers and I certainly wouldn't take it out in customers.

I do understand the challenges the current conditions have imposed on everyone but that's no excuse for rude and bad behavior. I have really great crews and being friendly wih them has generally resulted in a positive experience but there are a few sourpusses out there that should find another line of work because they are spoiling it for the customer and their coworkers who are doing a good job
^^

....as a point of reference: Delta recently opened 1,000 positions for FA's; apparently, 85,000 applied for the job.

http://www.ajc.com/business/delta-hi...85-683179.html

So... it seems quite a few are willing to take their jobs....
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:35 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
I wasn't disputing what the FAs job should entail. ??

And I just don't see this as being unique to United...unless United was known for having awesome intl service in recent years and we're suddenly seeing something new... I mean, I love the airline but, c'mon!

Originally Posted by kcblakely;
Provide for safety, help the passengers, serve them when appropriate, project a good "customer service" attitude: that *is* kinda their job, after all...

Um...because it's a comment on United?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 6:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dsquared37
I've had these requests on several occasions BKK/SIN-NRT, so they are day flights. At these times it's rather absurd.

I choose window seats because of the view and because reading with natural light is better on my eyes. If someone wants to sleep they can wear eyeshades. Why should their comfort/desire outweigh mine?
Couldn't agree with you more on this post! I'm SO tired of window .... And some of these FAs act like it's "Failure to obey crew direction" if you don't shut the shade. I had three FA's in C ask me to close my shade, and finally told them, politely, that I was feeling harassed. If I want to stare at the ocean or clouds, it's as much my right as sleeping or watching a movie is the right of someone else.

I will never disagree that FA's have safety responsibilities; but so many use it as an excuse to do any service work.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 2, 2010 at 9:02 pm Reason: inappropriate
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There's never a need for FAs to bark unless it's shouting out evac instructions.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
Is that why the Singapore Girl is "a great way to fly" ...
This is probably not the forum to ask what that does actually mean ???
...and SA has the "youngest fleet"?
You really mean SA or just SQ?

The only thing I really hate about all NRT crews is that they love to blather on for hours on the PA. The first 2 hours ex. NRT you can always write off for the mindless babbling of at least one crewmember .
I wished they would spend less time with the PA button and more on the drinks trolley...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Maybe you didn't see this?
You know, I didn't, but even if I had, smileys are ambiguous. "Don't take whatever precedes this seriously" is just one of a number of possible interpretations. So it's understandable that more than one of us was confused by it.

Speaking as someone who has used more than his share of smileys in his life, I'm kinda sorta starting to hate them.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hyatt Glob, AA 1MM. Former UA 1K, AA Exec Plat
So what's the answer to all this?

It's tempting to blame unionized workforces and seniority-based contracts, but DL FAs aren't unionized, and I haven't been overly impressed by them, whereas AS FAs are unionized, and they seem much friendlier than their mainline legacy carrier counterparts. So it can't be just the union / seniority issue. What else is at play? How can the mainlines -- UA, DL, AA -- address this problem? I'm sure there are lots of people with a good insider understanding of this situation who can comment.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by seaflyguy
So what's the answer to all this?

It's tempting to blame unionized workforces and seniority-based contracts, but DL FAs aren't unionized, and I haven't been overly impressed by them, whereas AS FAs are unionized, and they seem much friendlier than their mainline legacy carrier counterparts. So it can't be just the union / seniority issue. What else is at play? How can the mainlines -- UA, DL, AA -- address this problem? I'm sure there are lots of people with a good insider understanding of this situation who can comment.
I would like to think that a mystery shopper system with actual impact on an employee's employment status would be a good first step. I think one of the reasons that such a program has not been instituted is that even with such recommendations it would still be very hard to terminate an underperforming employee in a unionized environment. Maybe a good experiment would be to implement such a policy (if it doesn't exist) in the example of the non-unionized DL workers and see if there is a positive change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.