Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fly Two Times and the Third Is on United

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:15 am

I was thinking that it IS considered a Saturday night stay because when I price the same two flights using a day other than Saturday, the price jumps from $196 to $336. I posted the question here rather than calling MP because I am currently in BKK. When I called the local office here, the agent that answered, did not know thw answer!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 7:40 am

Programs: AC *E
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sf4dfish:
So, does anyone have a definitive answer to this question? I am flying out on the red-eye from SFO on a SATURDAY and arriving into JFK on SUNDAY morning, at 6:24AM. Then I am flying back to SFO on the 7AM flight from JFK. Question: Is this considered a Saturday NIGHT stay????? </font>
Sadly, I think the answer is quite clear. As I posted earlier in this thread, Sunday night stay is measured from the time of departure on your last outbound segment to the time of departure from your first return segment. Anyway you slice it, if you leave on Saturday (or before) and start your return on Sunday (or later), it's a Saturday night stay and does not qualify for the 1for2 promo.

------------------
Oh Canada!
Standing on guard for thee...
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Do you think United is going to drop the Saturday Night stay requirement to match B6, AA and DL?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:00 am

Myself and Ms.chobby100 are going to do 2x trips to LAX from BOS. One a Sat. day trip - get around noon and leave on the redeye on Sat night and the other is a sunday where we get around noon and leave on monday at 1pm and get back to BOS around 9pm.

Interesting to note: I did call MP to make sure we could take the redeye. The woman I talked to confirmed that:
1) IF a an East coast person leaves on say a wednesday, they can take the redeye back on sat night (b/c they arrive on sunday). But, she also indicated that if a west coast person departed on the same sat night redeye - any return would violate the sat night stay rule. The rep also indicated that if the flight left late or BOS was closed, thus leaving after midnight, that - if fully documented with boarding passes, e-ticket printout etc. - I would still get credit.

I spent $575.10 for the 2 tickets. If you assume that the free systemwide will be the functional = of 60 k miles, the $575.10 will earn: 60k + 10.2 for actual flight + 5k bonus of flying 10k miles + 2k online booking bonus = 77.2k miles or $0.0074 per mile. Not to shabby for an amateur with no status like me.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:14 pm

I bought two T-class SFO-BOS tickets yesterday for $216.70 each including taxes, with no minimum stay required and good for Tue. Wed. and Sat. travel.

What more interesting is that this fare allows CS25 deduction. Therefore, the net payment is $191.70 for 5400+ base miles!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 1:29 pm

Programs: (almost) everything!
I think this is the great fare to fulfill UAs requirements for MPD414. If anybody does not have CS25, you can still use 5% off link.

http://www.ual.com/link/0,1394,51783,00.html

[This message has been edited by Tclin (edited Jan 26, 2004).]
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA MM *G. Continental *G
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
My analysis:

The "No Saturday night" restriction and blackout dates are ...
</font>
I found no blackout dates in the stated conditions of the offer. Where are they defined?
Old Jan 26, 2004, 9:31 pm

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
I had a flying weekend with a SFO-JFK roundtrip on Saturday. 767-300 upgraded both ways to C class. There were a total of 19 passengers on the JFK-SFO flight Saturday evening. So much for the thousands jumping on the promo. I guess they are flying AA.

Then flew another roundtrip on Sunday upgraded both ways on a 777.

The great thing about the 9:00 am out of SFO combined with the 7:15 pm out of JFK is that it is the same aircraft. No worry about the plane not arriving in JFK for the return leg.

10,344 miles to qualify for the 3x promo and a free ticket. Plenty of empty seats in C on all flights. I had nobody seated next to me on any of the flights.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AirTravelLover:
I bought two T-class SFO-BOS tickets yesterday for $216.70 each including taxes, with no minimum stay required and good for Tue. Wed. and Sat. travel.

What more interesting is that this fare allows CS25 deduction. Therefore, the net payment is $191.70 for 5400+ base miles!
</font>
God, that's great. I tried to minimmize the out of work time (only one day off) and this was the cheapest I could find (with no CS25 but using the 5% link). Care to give up the dates?
Old Jan 27, 2004, 11:34 am
glg

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hsilbiger:
I found no blackout dates in the stated conditions of the offer. Where are they defined?</font>
Those aren't in the offer, they're in the fare rules. So that fare isn't available those dates.
Old Jan 28, 2004, 4:45 pm

I got this response from Mileage Plus just now about my SFO-LAX-BOS r/t itinerary:

The 1 for 2 promotion states fly two qualifying roundtrips between the
following cities JFK to LAX, JFK to SFO, BOS to LAX, BOS to SFO or EWR
to LAX between January 20, 2004 and April 15, 2004 and receive one free
economy ticket.

If you travel San Francisco to Los Angeles to Boston and return, this
would not qualify. If you travel San Francisco to Boston and return,
this would qualify. Your ticket has be purchased and flown as direct
flights between the cities listed above.

I appreciate your taking the time to contact me.

I rebooked LAX-BOS r/t with the SF-LAX r/t on Southwest. It turns out to be about the same fare, plus the $100 change fee.

I just wanted to warn everyone that we seem to be getting different responses from MP.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 2:31 pm

jonlake,

"If you travel San Francisco to Los Angeles to Boston and return, this would not qualify. If you travel San Francisco to Boston and return, this would qualify. Your ticket has be purchased and flown as direct
flights between the cities listed above".

Unfortunately, I was told by a MP agent that any trip from the west coast to the promo cities, JFK, BOS, and EWR, would qualify. I purchased TWO SFO/EWR tickets, only to find out two days later that these trips would NOT qualify for the 2/1 promo, only LAX/EWR would. I called back to MP to asked if I could route my trip by adding SFO, SFO/LAX/EWR - EWR/LAX/SFO, I was told "YES". I explained that earlier, one of the MP agents told me that ANY flight from the west coast to the specified cities would qualify and the information given to me was false and it is now going to cost me $200 for the exchange of two tickets and I didn't want to purchase again only to find out that the routing would not qualify. The agent said that I would be re-imbursed for the $200 paid by a voucher and also that she will document with her name on my MP account, that the trip adding SFO to LAX/EWR and back WOULD qualify. By adding SFO, it cost me $10 more, $226.70
Old Feb 4, 2004, 12:33 pm

Bear with me here, I'm a UA 2P newbie with FT.

Just about ready to book 2 SFO-BOS MRs tagging my daughter along for the ride. This way we each rack up 10.8K miles, qualify for the 5K bonus (neither one of us will be flying in a qualifying class again in March), get the 1K booking bonus and I'll have 2 award tix for my wife and I to vacation in Sydney.

(60K + 10.8K + 5K + 1K = 76.8K) $413.60/76.8K = $0.0054/mile

*GOD, I'm glad I waited for UA to get on board, I almost bit on the same AA deal only to get tickets to places I'm not interested in travelling.*

If depart anytime on Tues - like catching the red-eye out of SFO to avoid a hotel stay in BOS, you can return anytime Wed and qualify for the $203 fare + taxes. We'll spend the day at the aquarium or museum, have lunch and fly back. We're flying 3/2-3 and 3/9-10 in E+ and with the CS25 5% discount, each T class trip will cost $206.80.

Only thorn in my side is that my wife feels like we're 'taking advantage of the system' be doing MRs, and exploiting our daughter by flying her XC twice to get a free ticket... ANY OPINIONS?
Old Feb 4, 2004, 2:45 pm

Programs: AC *E
It seems to me that everyone is talking about using it to fly to SYD. In view of the fact that SYD awards are already hard to get (I was looking for July dates a couple of weeks ago and there is little availability), it seems to me that with this promotion UA will succeed in getting more BIS for the transcon flights (that currently are pretty empty) but may end up with quite a few disappointed pax who find that they can't get the award ticket they expected.

------------------
Oh Canada!
Standing on guard for thee...
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:55 pm

$216 return fares booked in "T" class are available between JFK and LAX if you are willing to leave on a Friday and return on a Saturday. Not sure when these were (re)loaded, but they weren't there when I initially looked when the promo was announced.

Availability is pretty wide open for departures starting from the end of February.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.