Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying elite qualifying miles [threads merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 7:59 am

Programs: UA: MM
Originally Posted by RNE
OK. So the RDMs at $0.027 per are better than CO's rack rate. If you're looking to buy miles, this is a better way to go. The EQMs, of course, are harder to generalize in regard to value. That said, $1,200 to go up one elite level seems pretty cheap to me.
The last time I received a buy up offer (from Gold to Plat in 2006 or 2007) it was $750. Of course that was always a crapshoot on what they would offer, if anything. Seems like a bird in the hand deal here if you are traveleing and short of miles.

FWIW
DLM
Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:55 am

Programs: UAL, AA, Delta, Southwest
What is RDM?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
ok. Maybe I'm thick. I'm on the preview site playing around and don't see the offer. Obviously, I don't want to go to far and purchase by mistake so how far to I have to go to see the offer and still not go through with the transaction.

And if you already have a purchased ticket giving 150% EQMS, can you still do this and if so, what amount are they offering? I'm flying EWR-TXL in October.

And does this work on CO metal only? My return flight from TXL is though FRA on LH.

Last edited by hughw; Sep 7, 2010 at 10:13 am
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
RDMs can be bought via AMEX at 2.5.
I'm not familiar w/that offer! Is that tied to a specific card?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlparke
What is RDM?
'redeemable miles' - for award tkts, upgrades, etc.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughw
ok. Maybe I'm thick. I'm on the preview site playing around and don't see the offer. Obviously, I don't want to go to far and purchase by mistake so how far to I have to go to see the offer and still not go through with the transaction.

And if you already have a purchased ticket giving 150% EQMS, can you still do this and if so, what amount are they offering? I'm flying EWR-TXL in October.

And does this work on CO metal only? My return flight from TXL is though FRA on LH.
Are you looking at the 'preview' site? If not, it will only come up when you are doing OLCI. It's supposed to go 'live' around Sept. 11.

I believe that as long as the tkt is booked on CO -- the offer will come up -- but I don't have any personal experience with this scenario!

So far, I am seeing 'double' or 'triple' RDM/EQM offers -- & I believe that the offer will come up with any fare class, irrespective of fare class/status bonuses.

Last edited by mnmag; Sep 7, 2010 at 10:46 am Reason: add
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:17 am

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
YMMV

I have one reservation that is "not ticketed" and one that is "e-ticketed and confirmed".

The reservation that is "not ticketed" has NO upgrade options (miles or dollar) or purchase mile options(RDM or EQM). This is true on the preview or regular site.

The reservation that is "e-ticketed and confirmed" displays differently on the two sites. On the regular site, the ticketed reservation offers upgrade options (miles and dollars) only. On the preview site, its offers both upgrade options as well as 2X and 3X RDMS only.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:19 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mnmag
I'm not familiar w/that offer! Is that tied to a specific card?
Amex Membership Rewards pts transfer to CO at 1:1. You can buy MR points for 2.5cpm up to 500k points a year.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:13 pm

For what it's worth--on a DXB-LAX r/t I'm being offered 7500 RDM for $203 Elite Maximizer for +$450; 30,000 RDM for $810 Elite Maximizer for +$1800. I also seem to remember it being $1200 last week when I checked.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA: MM
Any data on the B/Y/F bonus being multiplied. That is, if you are on a Y fare is the 3X deal equal to the actual mileage x3 OR (actual mileage x 1.5)x3?

That might make for some interesting upgrade math.

Or it could just make my brain hurt...

Also, the fine print says the miles post within 24 hours of purchase. Anyone actually pull the trigger? It would be interesting to see if you could buy the miles (RDM and EQM), get them posted and then cancel the trip.

FWIW
DLM

Last edited by dmunz; Sep 7, 2010 at 1:52 pm
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: Cattle Class
checked for EWR-SFO flights. EQM price is ~9.7 cpm.
Might be short up to 5k miles this year. Need your advise.
What could I expect if I need to do a one day MR from EWR? Most likely will be looking for a cheapest possible trip over a weekend (towards end of the year and with maybe 10-14 day advance purchase) to give me 3-5k miles? Any routes that also would be less elite heavy (to score an upgrade)?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I did not have an easy time finding this offer on the preview site. When I finally found it, I wanted to see how much they were going to charge for 2X and 3X EQM's but I was afraid to click too far and accidentally trigger a credit card charge.

I like the concept and the versatility of being able to purchase either 2X or 3X EQM's. What I don't like is having to buy both the RDM's and the EQM's. I think that the marketing gurus on Smith Street will need to tweak this a bit in order to maximize the revenue potential. The way the process is set up now, they are not only leaving money on the table, but they risk annoying customers who tend not to read the fine print.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by Awtas
checked for EWR-SFO flights. EQM price is ~9.7 cpm.
Might be short up to 5k miles this year. Need your advise.
What could I expect if I need to do a one day MR from EWR? Most likely will be looking for a cheapest possible trip over a weekend (towards end of the year and with maybe 10-14 day advance purchase) to give me 3-5k miles? Any routes that also would be less elite heavy (to score an upgrade)?
EWR-LAS and EWR-SEA are both about $330 RT.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:59 pm

does anyone know if the minimum 500-miles for elites applies to this offer? this may factor into how I would retain silver (goodbye Gold!) for next year if my end-of-the-year trip falls through.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond
I wonder if the Elite Maximizer/EQM feature is for Plat only? I and Gold and ggot offer fr RDM but not EQM. Perhaps it will be available as I get closer to my 9/17 departure date.

I am doing EWR-SFO and got offer for 2X RDM of $154.00 or 3X RDM of $308.00.

Last edited by milesmilesmiles; Sep 7, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.