Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Global Services Status (Qualification, Benefits, etc.) [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2011, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hertz PresCircle, Hilton, Sofitel
You for real?

Originally Posted by GodOSpoons
You must be calling a different PPlat hotline than I am, as I've found the CO PPlat folks to be completely useless in resolving pretty much anything, bar debiting my credit card. Global Services folk would personally clear a runway if it helped me en route.

There's a reason why the GS program is staying... it's simply better in execution.

Timothy
Ordinarily I would just let a nasty comment pass, but not this time. I know from many experiences that the people who work in the PPlat office give great service and have solved any really thorny problems I or my friends have had. Based on my experiences with them, there is no chance at all that your disrespectful statements are true. Your credibility is a problem, sir.

1. If you are UA, only PPlat from your supposed GS status as you state in earlier postings, how did you get the PPlat number to call them in the first place? You never received a PPlat invitation with the materials that included the private telephone number. You are only PPlat from your status as GS.

2. And if you are GS and the GS staff is so wonderful, why did you call the PPlat line all time?

3. There really isn't any plausible explanation for your statement that the PPlat staff are "useless" and that the GS staff "would personally clear a runway if it helped me en route", unless you are GS staff member looking to keep your job or just a plain narcisist.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by guyin4B
1. If you are UA, only PPlat from your supposed GS status as you state in earlier postings, how did you get the PPlat number to call them in the first place? You never received a PPlat invitation with the materials that included the private telephone number. You are only PPlat from your status as GS.

2. And if you are GS and the GS staff is so wonderful, why did you call the PPlat line all time?

3. There really isn't any plausible explanation for your statement that the PPlat staff are "useless" and that the GS staff "would personally clear a runway if it helped me en route", unless you are GS staff member looking to keep your job or just a plain narcisist.
1) I'm UA GS, only PPlat from my GS status-match, but when I linked my UA account to my newly-created CO account, they not only gave me PPlat, but sent me that PPlat greeting pack with the luggage tags in the black box & the CO PPlat phone numbers, etc...

2) Before I status matched, I had a split itinerary on UA/CO, and actually had to call CO to get my seat assignment on their segment (not sure if that's still necessary, but point being... there could be reasons for needing to call the CO line)

3) Pretty sure UA GS wouldn't clear a runway for me. They might for some other GS though. One thing I'm nearly convinced of is they even differentiate within the GS ranks.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: UA GS , AA CK
I recently emailed UGS regarding a SWU issue.

At the end of the reply I was told:

"We thank you for your continued loyalty and welcome you to the 2012/2013 Global Services membership."

I wonder if this is confirmation that I'm being renewed for next year??
Old Dec 28, 2011, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As reported elsewhere it seems like status will be extended thru Q I 2012.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: UA GS, SPG Platinum
UDU on award ticket as GS?

To anyone who's been GS since UDU has come around: So last time I was GS was before UDU- how does it work in upgrading award tickets with UDU? I know in the past that you could call and use an instrument if space was available. Can you get auto upgraded on a domestic award ticket in the same way? Do you have to call, or are you just on the list for the 120 hour window?

Thanks!
Old Dec 29, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP (LT Pt)
I think the award-ticket upgrade perk is only available for instruments; I've never heard of it happening with UDU.

But I tend not to fly on awards domestically, so I could be wrong. I haven't investigated all the perks.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:31 am

My boss took his last flight of the year and here are the figures:

Based out of SFO
157K EQM
95 EQS

Spend was roughly $50k, but unfortunately only half in F and A fares.

If at this point his status does not show GS, does that mean he probably didn't qualify?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by FTnewbie731
My boss took his last flight of the year and here are the figures:

Based out of SFO
157K EQM
95 EQS

Spend was roughly $50k, but unfortunately only half in F and A fares.

If at this point his status does not show GS, does that mean he probably didn't qualify?
More than F & A fares count ( F A J C D Z Y B )... how much of the spend was in those fares, vs discount economy?
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by flyer215
More than F & A fares count ( F A J C D Z Y B )... how much of the spend was in those fares, vs discount economy?
I'd say 75% were in first or business class fares.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; UA GS (via MM companion); SPG
Originally Posted by FTnewbie731
I'd say 75% were in first or business class fares.
And was the coach remainder mostly Y/B, or discount?

If discount, and I had to guess, based on other folks reporting a ~45K full-fare $ spend, your boss will be close, but probably not quite make it.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by flyer215
And was the coach remainder mostly Y/B, or discount?

If discount, and I had to guess, based on other folks reporting a ~45K full-fare $ spend, your boss will be close, but probably not quite make it.
Mostly discount. Only about 15% in Y/B.

Darn, looks like we have to try again in 2012.

Also, I heard (from the Chicago-Do, I think) that there was a way for businesses to purchase GS for their employees? Any truth to this?

I don't want to wait another full-year to get him into GS, since he flies United so often.
Old Dec 29, 2011, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA G-1MM/*G, B6 Mosaicm, DL G, HH S, Bonvoy(...?) Plat, Avis PS, Hertz 5*, Nat ExVIP
Ordinarily I would just let a nasty comment pass, but not this time. I know from many experiences that the people who work in the PPlat office give great service and have solved any really thorny problems I or my friends have had. Based on my experiences with them, there is no chance at all that your disrespectful statements are true. Your credibility is a problem, sir.
My credibility? That's amusing.

I left an item on a United airplane and the GS folks moved and heaven and earth to find it. Colleague left an iPad on an airplane and couldn't even get a callback from the PPlat folks, let alone some reference number to follow up with. I've emailed PPlat and received absolutely no response, whereas I've received responses from the GS email address, generally in less than two hours.

I'm sure everything was all roses and whipped cream at CO, but I prefer the GS-style customer service.

Timothy

And sure, I'm bitter. I spend a lot of money on air travel each year... I expect good, responsive customer service to come with it.

Originally? I called GS and they gave me the number. This isn't exactly rocket science.

You *have* to call the CO folks when you're on CO metal. You must not do a lot of cross-metal if you don't have to call both.

I'll admit I've tested the GS folks more than the PPlat ones--and yes, the line about clearing a runway is hyperbole--but I think it's clear there's a gap between what UA GS and CO PPlat folks expect. PPlat is fine for reservations, but the follow-on in ground services, transfer services, baggage services, etc. just isn't there.

Timothy

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 30, 2011 at 2:44 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:26 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ordinarily I would just let a nasty comment pass, but not this time.
It is really just one's opinion and experineces-- it isn't that nasty. Really.

Your credibility is a problem, sir.
Different people have different experiences. You might not be aware of it, but when it comes to matters of opinion, "credible" isn't a synonym for "agrees with me".

If you are UA, only PPlat from your supposed GS status as you state in earlier postings, how did you get the PPlat number to call them in the first place? You never received a PPlat invitation with the materials that included the private telephone number. You are only PPlat from your status as GS.
That isn't much of a mystery; CO sent out elite cards to those who got new CO status from linking the UA and CO accounts together.

And if you are GS and the GS staff is so wonderful, why did you call the PPlat line all time?
Busy people can't always travel on their preferred carrier.

There really isn't any plausible explanation for your statement that the PPlat staff are "useless" and that the GS staff "would personally clear a runway if it helped me en route", unless you are GS staff member looking to keep your job or just a plain narcisist.
Wow. The plausible explanation is very clear: the individual to whom you responded has had disappointing experiences with the PP line but excellent experiences with GS. And I'm not sure how someone engaging in obvious hyperbole to make a point is relates to one being a narcisist. I think you need to take a step back; you seem to be taking criticism of the PP desk pretty personally.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
The PPlat desk always gets you to the right person if they can't resolve the issue for you.

The GS desk usually stays on the phone with you until the other person resolves it for you if they can't resolve the issue for you.

Subtle difference, but things like that suggest a slight nod to GS, although both desks are very good.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:09 am

Programs: UA GS, MM
Originally Posted by Ari

Different people have different experiences. You might not be aware of it, but when it comes to matters of opinion, "credible" isn't a synonym for "agrees with me".
^^ so true... and sad that ppl can't relay those experiences without being lambasted!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.