Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-reconfigured (Old) 747 N194UA in service (until 6 Jan 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2010, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Saw N194UA at ORD on 6/24. Definitely needs some new paint.

Old Jun 29, 2010, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by jetphotos
Wasn't sure if I would ever get here to post this. This was UAL973 on Sunday, 27 June, 2010. N194UA west of ORD about 3:21pm. Sorry about watermark.

http://www.jetphotos.com/images/1Hempe7312.jpg
Welcome jetphotos, thanks for your contribution (and earlier PM!)
Old Jun 30, 2010, 1:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by flyswim
Was just on 973 on Thursday (still new config). UD as well. I really love the option to fly the 744 on domestic runs, the power of the engines when it starts the take off roll is just incredible to me.
Agreed. I was a little disappointed that their fleet renewal plan did not include the 747-8I. It will be sad to see the 747 exit the UA fleet.
Old Jun 30, 2010, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by UALpremier
It will be sad to see the 747 exit the UA fleet.
I love her too! In fairness, tho, it'll be a while till she's retired.

Dave
Old Jul 1, 2010, 10:01 am
jmp

Originally Posted by bseller
I love her too! In fairness, tho, it'll be a while till she's retired.
And I would take any and all previously announced future plans for the fleet with a big grain of salt until the merger is completed, with the exception of the 787s that Continental is currently scheduled to start receiving next summer. The merged airline may find itself pulling more 747s out of the desert, and if they do, they might reconsider ordering the 747-8...
-JMP
Old Jul 2, 2010, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Originally Posted by jmp
And I would take any and all previously announced future plans for the fleet with a big grain of salt until the merger is completed, with the exception of the 787s that Continental is currently scheduled to start receiving next summer. The merged airline may find itself pulling more 747s out of the desert, and if they do, they might reconsider ordering the 747-8...
-JMP
I would imagine that the merged airline will need fewer planes, not more.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
paint job started? (too much to wish for, probably... )

Originally Posted by jetphotos
Wasn't sure if I would ever get here to post this. This was UAL973 on Sunday, 27 June, 2010. N194UA west of ORD about 3:21pm. Sorry about watermark.

http://www.jetphotos.com/images/1Hempe7312.jpg
Originally Posted by JeepGuyDE
Saw N194UA at ORD on 6/24. Definitely needs some new paint.
Maybe the repainting has already started. Check out the cowling on the left inside engine - new blue livery?
Old Jul 3, 2010, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
Maybe the repainting has already started. Check out the cowling on the left inside engine - new blue livery?
would they really continue repainting when the new livery (post merger) are all white

http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/
Old Jul 3, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I would imagine that the merged airline will need fewer planes, not more.
They claim very little route overlap, but more to the point, they seem keen on expanding international routes. This would suggest that any cuts would be from the domestic side - maybe pushing more of those smaller jets out (737/A320.. but preferably the fairly costly-to-operate 50-seat RJs).
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: M&M UAL
Originally Posted by UALpremier
Agreed. I was a little disappointed that their fleet renewal plan did not include the 747-8I. It will be sad to see the 747 exit the UA fleet.
and on top it is the last chance to feel the nice 15 a seat....^
that i mice so much....
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I didn't see a smiley or anything... so I am assuming you are serious.

There are several parts that get changed during routine maintanence. The cowling is one of those... it just means all they had in the shop was the ones with new paint.

FWIW, there are some other threads here about "clown nosed" UA airplanes ... they were in the old livery and instead of a grey nose, they were given the newer livery (or maybe even the TED livery) nose cone.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA *G
She's doing IAD-SFO as we speak, then hopefully returning to the SFO-ORD rotation soon.

-a
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
It is apparent from this picture, LINK, that the cowling was already painted before it was even sent to the desert!
Old Jul 3, 2010, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I didn't see a smiley or anything... so I am assuming you are serious.

There are several parts that get changed during routine maintanence. The cowling is one of those... it just means all they had in the shop was the ones with new paint.

FWIW, there are some other threads here about "clown nosed" UA airplanes ... they were in the old livery and instead of a grey nose, they were given the newer livery (or maybe even the TED livery) nose cone.

Nose cowls on engines are not routinely changed during normal maintenance. They are only replaced for cause. In the case of this airplane I would not be surprised if they borrowed the original nose cowl from the time the plane was in the desert and then installed the current one before it left there.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Might the 747 be put on any mainland to Hawai'i flights sometime this year? I noticed that after November, there are no 747s on the ORD-SFO run according to the schedule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.