Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

no more fruit and cheese plates ORD/DCA-IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

no more fruit and cheese plates ORD/DCA-IAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:16 am

I can't say I'm really surprised by the change in F service on so many routes. Internally, I had been hearing rumors for months about changes in the F class product on short range flights. Now that domestic F is basically a free for all with UDU, UA doesn't seem willing to provide full meals when most seats in F are now filled with free upgrades.

-IFLYUA
Old Jun 11, 2010, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Let's put the changes in context.

Yes, there is a cutback on ORD-IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/EWR/LGA routes, but the hot paninis, snack baskets prior to landing on midcons/transcons, and full dinner service on short hauls (DEN-West Coast, ORD-New England) are improvements.

If I had to choose between status quo or the new changes, I'd take the changes.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by BigBossman
When did laboratory created junk food become a better quality snack than fruit and cheese?

At worst, the fruit may be unripe, but it is much, much better for you and more filling than junk food.

Thank you.

There goes the quality of my commute, starting today... just what we need in this life, more crappy junk food we shouldn't eat.
Old Jun 11, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
The flight is less than 600 miles. Perhaps this compaint should be in the thread that is below entitled "What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing You Can Complain About?"...

Perhaps I should stage a protest to United's LAS-DEN route since it is 50 miles longer and doesn't even have a snack tray... wow...
Old Jun 11, 2010, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The timing on this is rather bizzare as AA is rolling out their two-class CR7s on July 1. These fly ORD-DCA and will have meals on them as well.

Originally Posted by trekwars2000
The flight is less than 600 miles. Perhaps this compaint should be in the thread that is below entitled "What's the Stupidest, Least Substantive UA-Related Thing You Can Complain About?"...

Perhaps I should stage a protest to United's LAS-DEN route since it is 50 miles longer and doesn't even have a snack tray... wow...
ORD-DCA is 612 miles.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 11, 2010 at 9:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 12, 2010, 10:21 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BigBossman
When did laboratory created junk food become a better quality snack than fruit and cheese?

At worst, the fruit may be unripe, but it is much, much better for you and more filling than junk food.
You think the cheese isn't "laboratory created"? Wake up man! The fruit ain't that natural either. Welcome to the real world!
Old Jun 12, 2010, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMK10
The timing on this is rather bizzare as AA is rolling out their two-class CR7s on July 1. These fly ORD-DCA and will have meals on them as well.

ORD-DCA is 612 miles.
Delta has meals on the ORD-LGA shuttle route as well.

I predict meals will return the NYC market, at least.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:05 am

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Well thank goodness for UDU!!! I'd be pissed as h*ll if I was wasting upgrade instruments on crap like that.
Seems like a consequence of UDU. They're giving away full F cabins now so a degradation of F product seems like a natural result.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by CMK10
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Delta has meals on the ORD-LGA shuttle route as well.

I predict meals will return the NYC market, at least.
Here's the trade-off (the way I think UA see's it).

DL flies E-Jet's operated by Shuttle America (aka a high end RJ operated by an Express carrier) on ORD-LGA-ORD.

AA flies (some routes) with CR7's (aka a RJ) on ORD-DCA-ORD.

Both of which have meals in F.

However, both operate as RJ's.... UA will operate ORD-LGA and ORD-DCA with mainline aircraft.

I think that UA figures we'd rather have mainline F with a snack basket than RJ F with a full meal.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
Originally Posted by JonathanIT
Seems like a consequence of UDU. They're giving away full F cabins now so a degradation of F product seems like a natural result.
I dunno.

Even prior to UDU, most F cabins were full. And, oddly, I was typically willing to drop 2 e-500's for the 612 miles - I have always felt the nicer things about F are seating near the front, easy boarding, deboarding, comfort while on the tarmac, all of which are fixed whether the flight is 612 miles or a transcon.

Some deemed this a waste, and I imagine that many UG's prior to UDU were 1P's and 2P's who got trumped on other routes and needed to burn earned e-500's. Indeed, the only flight where I consistently have seen (and still see post UDU) empty seats in F is the midday ORD-DCA on the 757 with 24 F Seats.

I cannot attribute this to UDU - rather the fruit plate, with the ceremony which far exceeded the product, was just stupid (what, crisp linens for unripe fruit and something reminscent of velveeta???). UA's catering bucks would be better served handing out saran wrapped sandwiches at lunch or dinner, and decent muffins at breakfast, or even making their snack boxes complemntary in F, and I think most business travelers would be as or more content.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:27 pm
Suspended

I didn't know the fruit and cheese plate was on this route when I flew DCA-ORD. Stuffed myself at the hotel buffet, then got on the plane and was surprised to have a nice fruit/cheese breakfast. It was different than the normal glass plate, but in a plastic container with about 6 compartments. It was a very nice touch.
Old Jun 13, 2010, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
I didn't know the fruit and cheese plate was on this route when I flew DCA-ORD. Stuffed myself at the hotel buffet, then got on the plane and was surprised to have a nice fruit/cheese breakfast. It was different than the normal glass plate, but in a plastic container with about 6 compartments. It was a very nice touch.
You thought the black plastic container (indicative of no catering contract at the station) was a "nice touch" in a premium cabin on a business route?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Let's put the changes in context.

Yes, there is a cutback on ORD-IAD/DCA/BWI/PHL/EWR/LGA routes, but the hot paninis, snack baskets prior to landing on midcons/transcons, and full dinner service on short hauls (DEN-West Coast, ORD-New England) are improvements.

If I had to choose between status quo or the new changes, I'd take the changes.
+++1....the implication in this thread is that because the fruit/cheese plates on these flights went away, the entire domestic F product has gone downhill...I too think the are more positives than negatives...flights that never had anything more than the gold foil bag now have a choice of snacks from the basket...some longer flights got an additional snack added after meal service...the evening flight from SFO-PDX (550 miles) now says "snack"...gasp! So I agree with MatthewLAX...let's have some context here rather than focusing on one particular change....look at the BIG picture!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.