Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

no more fruit and cheese plates ORD/DCA-IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum

It looks like there is an "enhancement" to UA F catering going into effect tomorrow. The snack (AKA fruit and cheese plate) on ORDDCA (and ORDIAD) is being replaced with "refreshments" which from the website appear to be "potato chips, premium mixed nuts, snack mix, Biscoff® cookies or Ghirardelli® premium chocolates".

As a frequent traveler to DC, I am extremely disappointed with this change. There is a lot of premium traffic between Chicago and DC (myself included) and I expect a little more than that. American offers a full meal during meal times (with salad and dessert) on this route.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I've never been able to figure out which ORD-WAS flights would have more than a bag of snack mix in F anyway.

In the days of e500s, if I didn't "waste" two on the route, I always saw F get a meal. If I spent my instruments, we got snack mix, even on mealtime flights. (I did get breakfast a couple of times, but just as often, got something inedible in a plastic bag at most on those breakfast-time flights.)

I had IAD-ORD-DCA this past weekend, and got 1 Biscoff on the breakfast-time outbound, and 2 snack mixes on the admittedly-past-dinner-time return.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: US G, AA G, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by sensei
As a frequent traveler to DC, I am extremely disappointed with this change. There is a lot of premium traffic between Chicago and DC (myself included) and I expect a little more than that. American offers a full meal during meal times (with salad and dessert) on this route.
+1

This has been frustrating to watch the meal "enhancements" on this route over the last several years. Had thought they were keeping "up" with competition but then I was switched to AA when my UA flight cancelled several weeks ago. Same basic time and - as you point out - we were served a full meal (in a larger F cabin).
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

Replacing the fruit & cheese plates with the snack basket. Very disappointed to hear that UA is doing this!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:17 pm

Location: Palo Alto. Previously, below the approaches to Rwy 19 @ DCA or 28 @ ORD
Programs: UA 1K 0.8MM, AA EXP
Amen, another foolish move, along with the routing restrictions on ORD-IAD.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a joke. Who are these idiots in catering that make these decisions?!?

A few posts up says it best: AA serves a full meal on this route.

Want to hear even more UA catering ridiculousness?

ORD-LGA gets the fruit plate because it's < 750 miles. ORD-JAX gets a hot breakfast because it's 866 miles. Even ORD-MCO, the Disney World express, gets a hot breakfast in F because it's 1005 miles.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there has to be tons more premium traffic on the ORD-LGA (and ORD-DCA) route than ORD-JAX?

The logic used by UA to make catering decisions is just laughable.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by UNITED959

The logic used by UA to make catering decisions is just laughable.
Completely agree. Replacing one of the more healthful items in their catering repertoire with a basket of circulating junk food. Kind of like economy class on Delta!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Other interesting changes pointed out in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ice-first.html

Might be best to merge these two threads
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Well, bummer. This is my regular commute every week, twice a week. It used to be a meal, now a cheese plate and I guess soon, a glass of OJ and a bag of nuts. I guess they know that this alone will not push me to another airline and therefore they can skimp on it and keep my business. I am at 80K so far this year. Maybe soon it will be time to try out the others though?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well thank goodness for UDU!!! I'd be pissed as h*ll if I was wasting upgrade instruments on crap like that.

Cheers.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.4MM; AA PLT 2.5MM; Hilton Diamond; Starwood Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex MR; Chase UR, et al
Originally Posted by Paolo01
Well, bummer. This is my regular commute every week, twice a week. It used to be a meal, now a cheese plate and I guess soon, a glass of OJ and a bag of nuts. I guess they know that this alone will not push me to another airline and therefore they can skimp on it and keep my business. I am at 80K so far this year. Maybe soon it will be time to try out the others though?
The AA F product to the east coast (LGA, DCA, ATL, etc) from ORD is far better than UA. Bigger F cabins and better food. I still do most of my flying (by distance) on UA, but I rarely fly UA domestically unless AA doesn't serve the market.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 000123UA
The AA F product to the east coast (LGA, DCA, ATL, etc) from ORD is far better than UA. Bigger F cabins and better food. I still do most of my flying (by distance) on UA, but I rarely fly UA domestically unless AA doesn't serve the market.
You sound like a smart (wo)man.

I'm still baffled that UA doesn't even try to be competitive.

Even on domestic AA flights in F, when there is beverage-only service (i.e. 8p and later departures), they at least warm up a cookie. Nice touch.

UA does nothing.

I have done it a few times, but I encourage you to write about the crappy fruit/cheese plate in F during mealtimes on high profile routes. UA really needs a wake-up call on this one.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by exerda
I've never been able to figure out which ORD-WAS flights would have more than a bag of snack mix in F anyway.

In the days of e500s, if I didn't "waste" two on the route, I always saw F get a meal. If I spent my instruments, we got snack mix, even on mealtime flights. (I did get breakfast a couple of times, but just as often, got something inedible in a plastic bag at most on those breakfast-time flights.)
ORD-DCA was always very clear - meals during meal windows, no snacks outside of meal windows. Then, it switched to snacks during breakfast, lunch, and dinner windows.

ORD-IAD never served breakfast. The 1 PM, 4PM, and 6PM flights served meals and then snacks after the first round of enhancements. Other frequencies never served anything.

It wasn't that hard to figure out.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
Those of you who travel these routes in F should definitely fill out www.ualsurvey.com after each flight to express your disappointment (or delight) in the catering.
Old Jun 9, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
IMOP the fruit and cheese plate was overkill for the WAS to ORD flight. The plate isn't really that good. I think United is right to provide better quality snacks. I have no problems with this change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.