Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2010 Edition.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why were you compensated and what did you get - 2010 Edition.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Accepting the $300 does not mean you can't contact them and ask for more.

But it would be helpful if you could describe the detailed circumstances of what happened. People here would be better able to offer their assistance and give you an idea of what they've gotten under similar circumstances and let you know if it's worth pursuing or not. From what you've said so far that the whole thing was LH's fault it doesn't bode well for getting more, but the devil is in the details (details you haven't shared yet).
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ DL Plat HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by msk6261
1. We had a horrible experience last week which pretty much boils down to 2 hours on the phone at 2 am and then a 32 hour delay in reaching out destination.

(BTW...I apologize to all the Indianpolis Colts fans whose team lost the game to the Bills. I sincerely hope it was not because the players were awaken in their hotel room in the middle of the night by a lady in an adjacent room yelling at the airline CSR).

At the end of the call, I demanded compensation and was offered $300/ticket. I believed that this was insufficient and said so:
-32 hour delay, 2 people missing work, kids missing school
-added expenses..hotel, rental car (2 extra days), parking, dog kenneling, etc.
-Extremely poor customer service rendered by inept ICC CSR

The CS manager, whom I eventually demanded to deal with, said that that was all he was authorized to offer but, if I felt it was not enough, I should accept it and write a letter for additional compensation on my return.

Now I am having second thoughts about having accepted the initial offer at all. Does the mere acceptance of that offer preclude me for asking for anything else? Would I have been better to refuse and see what I could get afterward or was refusing mean that I risked not being compensated at all?

2. Another disastrous international itinerary which involved a 4500 mile detour, an additional stop, lost luggage (eventually returned), overnight expenses and a 2 1/2 day delay.

No compensation was initially offered. When a letter was sent, CS came back with only a $250 voucher. This didn't even cover the overnight expenses.

Do I have any recourse for requesting more equitable amount?

I will add that this was a UA ticket but LH was ultimately at fault. UA's response mentioned the inability to displace other ticketed passengers to arrange my transportation but that was not even remotely the basis for the complaint.

Has anyone had good luck going back to demand more??

Well, why did all of this happen? If it's weather related you really do not have much of an arguement. Weather happens and the airlines have zero control over it. You are more than willing to fight it, but goodluck. I typically just take what's offered and move on (espescially if it is weather related).

I have Premier status and spent 1 hour on the phone last Wednesday night adjusting flights out of ORD. I'm sure last week was absolutely nuts for United for anyone traveling in or out of the Midwest. Also, most airports were troubled by the weather events last week as planes were being cancelled at ORD - they couldn't make it out and other flights had to be cancelled. This was a true domino theory.

Anyways, goodluck and you're always allowed to write to whomever you'd like and ask for more. But, if it was weather related goodluck!

Safe travels!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Accepting the $300 does not mean you can't contact them and ask for more.

But it would be helpful if you could describe the detailed circumstances of what happened. People here would be better able to offer their assistance and give you an idea of what they've gotten under similar circumstances and let you know if it's worth pursuing or not. From what you've said so far that the whole thing was LH's fault it doesn't bode well for getting more, but the devil is in the details (details you haven't shared yet).
I didn't want to bore you with all the details but if you want 'em.....

1. Yes there was weather but they claimed equipment issues for this particular BUF-ORD-SFO itin. Other flights that day did continue to their destination.
Due to the holiday, re-routing seats were hard to come by. The problem was that the CSR would grab the seats on other airlines (which would have meant only a few hour delay) or even UA connections and then let them go without checking with us. He would put us on an interminable hold so quickly before I was able to finish my sentence and give him the necessary information. When he went to get the seats back, they were gone. This happened 3 times. By that point, the only thing he could find for us was 3 days out. The manager I demanded to speak to was able to get us out the next day but the damage was already done.

2. BUD-MUC-SFO turned into BUD-MUC-DXB-SFO. Dubai from Budapest??????

The problem lies with Lufthansa’s refusal to issue either a boarding pass or even check my bags all the way through to SF. Consequently, we needed to wait for luggage in baggage claim, go through customs in Dubai, wait for and use an excruciatingly slow shuttle to transfer terminals, recheck in at Emirates Air and then negotiate security to the gate.

All this was to occur with a scheduled 2+ hour layover. In reality, however, the flight from MUC was 30 minutes delayed (as was the outbound SFO flight but it had boarded on time for scheduled departure) .

To add insult to injury, the bags were exceptionally delayed in DXB. When we realized we were in severe risk of missing the connecting flight, we actually left baggage claim without one of our bags. We traveled to the Emirates Terminal to be certain to catch the connection. We assumed we would just have to initiate a search for our bag after arriving in SF. After we missed the connection, we returned the Baggage Claim CS desk who searched and eventually found the bag. It was 2 ½ hours after the arrival of my delayed flight before we were in possession of all our bags. We had to spend the night in Dubai.

I was advised that since it was a UA ticket....UA was the right recourse for reimbursement. I am Premier Executive on UA but have no status on LH. I don't want a LH voucher anyway.

Last edited by msk6261; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:27 pm
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: United 1k

Woaa! You'll have to be more specific on this one. What was the reason for the reroute?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Found more details posted by the OP in this other thread in the LH forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ight-lh-2.html
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
Found more details posted by the OP in this other thread in the LH forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ight-lh-2.html
Yes, I cut and paste but now that UA has responded disappointingly, my issue is if I can expect more appropriate compensation.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by theoflyalot

Woaa! You'll have to be more specific on this one. What was the reason for the reroute?
Most folks on this site would love to get rerouted through DXB. 4500 additional EQMs, that in itself is worth $300.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Most folks on this site would love to get rerouted through DXB. 4500 additional EQMs, that in itself is worth $300.
While that's all fine and good, I suspect the OP would have rather worked the two days (1 day per person) and taken the cash associated with that rather than EQMs...
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Comment on Itin #1 (outbound?):

We were in a similar boat, in that I must have clocked at least 3 hours on the phone with the 1K line during the Snow-pocalypse of 12/19/09. We recovered with new flights, then one diverted.... long story short wound up on CO and TAM (last two seats) to Brazil instead of UA, and about 18 hours late. Without ExpertFlyer and the expertise of the agents (every one of them was patient and did their absolute best), the entire trip probably would have fallen apart because, as you know, flights were packed solid before Xmas. Ironically I have never written in, we got Customer Appreciation emails right away on the DEN-IAD diversion to CLE and I got $250 while Mr. GLR (1P) got $200 in vouchers. Since it was all weather related, I don't know how much more I could expect. I'm not planning on pursuing any more compensation (at least not on this portion - the return was a different story and the official delay was operations). Just a datapoint for comparison.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Madisonman39
I tried to contact customer care through United's website about a safety issue on a recent flight. The complaint bounced back to my email account. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Here is the message I received:

Reporting-MTA: dns;NGENPDXKB01
Received-From-MTA: dns;NGENPDXKB01.cimondemand.corp
Arrival-Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 17:43:42 -0800

Final-Recipient: rfc822;[email protected]
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Mail refused.
That happened to me once and I resent it and it seemed to go through fine.

I ended up a getting a double response--one from India one from the U.S.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
No video on the 90 min ORD-DCA flight. Choice of:
1. 9,000 miles
2. 10% off anywhere UA flies
3. $200 domestic e-cert

I selected the $200 certificate.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Which is Best?

What should I choose?
Is the $300 E-cert as simple as choosing a flight under $300 and basically just pay taxes? Would I earn EQM's/Redeemable miles?

$300 E-Certificate: For travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands during the travel period specified. Save off published United fares on a qualifying flight purchased at united.com. Ticketing and travel by January 17, 2011. Terms and conditions

20% Economy E-Certificate: For travel to worldwide destinations from the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore or United Kingdom during the travel period specified. Save off published United Economy fares on a qualifying flight purchased at united.com. Ticketing and travel by January 17, 2011. Terms and conditions

12500 bonus Mileage Plus miles: Members can redeem miles toward award travel. Mileage Plus offers our members the most extensive selection of award travel destinations including over 800 cities in more than 139 countries. Terms and conditions

$300 paper certificate via mail: Save off published United fares on qualifying flights worldwide. Ticketing and travel by January 17, 2011. Paper certificate must be surrendered at initial time of ticketing and cannot be redeemed via the internet. Terms and conditions
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
if it were me I would pick the $300 paper cert because you can use it on international flights and earn EQMs, with the e-cert you can only use it in the US, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands but you can redeem it online and you would earn EQM's just like any other flight...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:25 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; VIA Privilege
Choice

I have found the $300 E-certificate more useful in the past. If you look at the value per dollar of each of those options, I think the E-certificate trumps out the rest of those unless you fly economy class to an international destination which costs about $1500 in which case your 20% off of Economy class would also be the same value i.e $300.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Your choice depends upon your own circumstances. The $300 e-cert is easy to use on-line although the paper cert can be used internationally. If you need a certain number of miles to allow you to book an award ticket, then the 12,500 miles might be the best selection, although if you value miles at 2 cents per mile, that would be equivalent to $250. If you're planning a coach trip where the fare is more than $1500, then the 20% discount would be the best.

If you use the e-cert (or any of the options with the exception of choosing miles), you'd be able to accumulate RDMs and EQMs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.