Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Headline: WSJ: US Airways Bd Decided To Discontinue Merger Talks With United

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2010, 9:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SunLover
...Would gold elite on a smaller airline be the way to go? ...
depends on how well they meet your travel needs. US would not meet mine
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:24 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by SunLover
I am thinking long and hard about where to accrue my miles in 2011. A work college indicated he is regularly upgraded on US as silver elite, even on hub routes like BOS-PHL and BOS-CLT.

Would gold elite on a smaller airline be the way to go?

SunLover
It's a tough call. I think elites shouldn't count on being upgraded and that's why I always go for the best Y product I can find. With E+, UA is a no brainer for me. With regards to CO vs. US, I actually prefer US's seats. Would one have a better shot at upgrading on US? I think that's very dependent on routes & flying pattern. To switch because someone else is having good upgrade percentage is not a smart decision, IMHO.

LAX
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by LAX
It's a tough call. I think elites shouldn't count on being upgraded and that's why I always go for the best Y product I can find. With E+, UA is a no brainer for me. With regards to CO vs. US, I actually prefer US's seats. Would one have a better shot at upgrading on US? I think that's very dependent on routes & flying pattern. To switch because someone else is having good upgrade percentage is not a smart decision, IMHO.

LAX
Well I much prefer US to CO. They are a more gracious airline (certainly on the East coast) and have also provided me with several op ups as a result of me striking up a conversation with a nice employee.

Try that on (Smisek's) CO/UA!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by sapguy
The UA-CO merger is done, and UACO is on the way to a single certificate.

Either get used to it, or take your business elsewhere.
+1

Maybe someone should start a speculation thread about whether it would have been better for UA to merge with US...oh wait...nevermind.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by sapguy
The UA-CO merger is done, and UACO is on the way to a single certificate.

Either get used to it, or take your business elsewhere.
I've gone for the "taking my business elsewhere" option.

But that's because I'm paying for my own tickets, unlike most folks here.

Old Dec 19, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sfotoord
+1

maybe someone should start a speculation thread about whether it would have been better for ua to merge with us...oh wait...nevermind.
+100 lol lol lol
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:23 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by Grace B
Well I much prefer US to CO. They are a more gracious airline (certainly on the East coast) and have also provided me with several op ups as a result of me striking up a conversation with a nice employee.

Try that on (Smisek's) CO/UA!
That's probably where I am headed as soon as Smisek announces that E+ is toast. I am actually waiting for that to happen as the new management has mentioned nothing about the possibility of it staying. When that happens (& along with the mass exodus), it will be a tough lesson for Smisek to learn.

LAX
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
That's probably where I am headed as soon as Smisek announces that E+ is toast. I am actually waiting for that to happen as the new management has mentioned nothing about the possibility of it staying.
Using that line of thinking they've also mentioned nothing about the possibility of E+ going away. So, what does that mean? Just that we really know nothing at this point.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grace B
I've gone for the "taking my business elsewhere" option.
GraceB, that is a strong statement, given that you are a 2MM and 1K (probably were for many years). If highest-loyal customers like you leave, that should be THE wakeup call to Wacker Drive, to stop fussing with UAs loyalty programs the way we have come to know it !!! @:-) @:-) @:-)@:-)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 4:18 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX
That's probably where I am headed as soon as Smisek announces that E+ is toast. I am actually waiting for that to happen as the new management has mentioned nothing about the possibility of it staying. When that happens (& along with the mass exodus), it will be a tough lesson for Smisek to learn.

LAX
^+1
I am off to US as well if E+ is not kept by the new UA. I'd switch to AA but they do not fly out of PWM. (My dream would be if US and AA combine.)
Old Dec 19, 2010, 6:31 pm
LAX

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Using that line of thinking they've also mentioned nothing about the possibility of E+ going away. So, what does that mean? Just that we really know nothing at this point.
Call me a pessimist, but for them to not say one word about E+ in any positive way, to me, is implying that the new management doesn't believe in it. I mean, if they buy into it & feel good about the product, shouldn't they "brag" about it like the former management did? It appears to me that UA has stopped the advertising campaign on E+. I certainly hope I am totally off base on this, but at least I won't get too much more disappointed when the day comes because I have prepared myself for it.

LAX
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by LAX
Call me a pessimist, but for them to not say one word about E+ in any positive way, to me, is implying that the new management doesn't believe in it. I mean, if they buy into it & feel good about the product, shouldn't they "brag" about it like the former management did? It appears to me that UA has stopped the advertising campaign on E+. I certainly hope I am totally off base on this, but at least I won't get too much more disappointed when the day comes because I have prepared myself for it.

LAX
Its not about feeling good, its about making a yes or no decision. And if they gave us some half-baked opinion on E+ there would be twice as much griping on this board. So, ultimately they are going to wait to communicate anything until they have a clear PoV. They've announced very little else related to fleets, so E+ not being communicated is on the same course.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 7:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
Its not about feeling good, its about making a yes or no decision. And if they gave us some half-baked opinion on E+ there would be twice as much griping on this board. So, ultimately they are going to wait to communicate anything until they have a clear PoV. They've announced very little else related to fleets, so E+ not being communicated is on the same course.
Agree, announcing that UACO would add E+ to the CO fleet (thinking positively ) would require having a timeline, transition plan for having only part of the fleet , .....

Suspect this is heavily entwined with the F/C cabin issue -- since that also may require cabin retrofits

Have been in similar situations, it is dangerous to dribble thinks out and you need to get as much planned out as you can because once the information flow starts it is hard to control the discussion.

I have no idea which way the decision is going to go but trying to over analyze the situation externally is fruitless.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by cesco.g
GraceB, that is a strong statement, given that you are a 2MM and 1K (probably were for many years). If highest-loyal customers like you leave, that should be THE wakeup call to Wacker Drive, to stop fussing with UAs loyalty programs the way we have come to know it !!! @:-) @:-) @:-)@:-)
We international 1Ks have been hit much harder by the changes of the past few years with seat blocking and UDU probably being the two single worst damages inflicted upon us.

I am also a 1.8MM who is looking for options on how to run elsewhere, and this year I have given up on a lot of UA flying in favour of SQ and QF. The game is no fun anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.